Now, this is conjecture. But supposing, just supposing Oldham played in a stadium compatible with SL!? It's got the population, the local amateur infrastructure! Oh, did I mention the history? How important is Oldham  to the development of the greatest game? Joseph Platt, son of Oldham, Father of Rugby League!? Oldham, the home, for the first 35 years. of Northern Rugby Football Union/ Rugby Football League!? The only thing missing, then, is performance. Winning games, promotion. If you think crowd attendance would be a problem, then No. Build it and they will come! #Sleeping giant!

• Like 8

Of course Oldham is important to the game. It has a rich history with strong amateur clubs and has long been an important production line for players. The demise of the professional club has been very sad to see and a strong, resurgent Oldham club could only be good for the game.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Oldham and Rochdale, two teams who I (naively no doubt) think could really do wonders for the game if someone with more money then sense took then over. 

Not wishing to dampen anyone's enthusiasm  but...spot on. It would also require someone with the drive, the power, the influence and the desire as well as having more money than sense.

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Now, this is conjecture. But supposing, just supposing Oldham played in a stadium compatible with SL!? It's got the population, the local amateur infrastructure! Oh, did I mention the history? How important is Oldham  to the development of the greatest game? Joseph Platt, son of Oldham, Father of Rugby League!? Oldham, the home, for the first 35 years. of Northern Rugby Football Union/ Rugby Football League!? The only thing missing, then, is performance. Winning games, promotion. If you think crowd attendance would be a problem, then No. Build it and they will come! #Sleeping giant!

Let’s hope that next week’s big announcement is the first step on that journey 🤞

• Like 3

It comes down to the money, doesn’t it?

There is no historical or demographic reason why Leigh should be able to support a SL team whilst Oldham languish in League 1

The only real difference is that Leigh do have someone who (in the words of a prior poster) “has more money than sense”

• Like 3

7 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

It comes down to the money, doesn’t it?

There is no historical or demographic reason why Leigh should be able to support a SL team whilst Oldham languish in League 1

The only real difference is that Leigh do have someone who (in the words of a prior poster) “has more money than sense”

They also had a local authortity that kept its promise on a new stadium when Hilton park was sold.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jughead said:

When did history get added to the criteria? If so, Hunslet will be right up there, too. 

Interesting one Hunslet isn't it 

Could Leeds sustain 2 SL clubs do you think? Would be some derby if they could perform a miracle and develop them 

Are there many Winos fans who got to both? (Similar to me an watching Skolars and Broncos )

18 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Could Leeds sustain 2 SL clubs do you think? Would be some derby if they could perform a miracle and develop them 

Are there many Winos fans who got to both? (Similar to me an watching Skolars and Broncos )

There can't be that many, Hunslet's usual home crowd has less than a school assembly...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There can't be that many, Hunslet's usual home crowd has less than a school assembly...

Hunslet have a great core group of supporters and i love going there

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think the time for that has gone. If they hadn't been denied promotion to Super League in 1999 there may have been a chance to develop that but I can't see it now. I think in the time since Leeds Rhinos have pretty much sewn up the city.

• Like 2

On 12/03/2023 at 16:25, Tommygilf said:

Hunslet were denied promotion. Since then the crowds have dwindled. Most saying what’s the point in going. All part of the master plan by the rfl 

• Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

23 hours ago, Quinskolar said:

Football struggling in Gtr Manchester? City and Utd have never been stronger. Bolton going well as are Stockport and the Ammies. Surely some mistake.

He did say outside of the big two, though I’d argue that Utd have most certainly been stronger.  Rochdale, Oldham and Bury fans might agree that it’s struggling though. 

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

Hunslet were denied promotion. Since then the crowds have dwindled. Most saying what’s the point in going. All part of the master plan by the rfl 

The crowds halved overnight,indeed I very nearly packed in ,myself. I felt at the time we were being strung along and the ground's low capacity would count against us.

So the first announcement is that the council are helping fund improvements to the Melrose playing fields, Oldham's training ground and home to Hollinwood rlfc. Hopefully the RLFC, who by the way 'own' the playing field, will contribute a like for like sum. Apparently further announcements are likely. Hopefully about a move to a proper stadium. 🤞

• Like 2

On 12/03/2023 at 08:19, Roughyed Rats said:

See the Oldham forum. Apparently a deal to move to Boundary Park but as part of a bigger announcement. Oldham Council have tweeted about a big announcement next Wednesday at 10am.

• Like 7