Barrow Match Thread

Batley Bob

Puts us in a bit of a 'bad light' in more ways than one!! If we already knew lamps were out why not fix'em? When and where and HOW has damage occurred? Like Rog says the club appears to be going backwards, website's fallen over, leaving ground checks til last minute, it'll be a poor enough crowd as Barrow probably won't have as many down on a Monday night, I'm sure we'll have to pay Rams at least for the electricity for their lights (which are worse than ours, it's pitch black over the short stand side). Then as mentioned there'll be no revenue from bar and food, in fact unless Dews have managed to get their caterer in there'll be no refreshments anyway. Lord help us win, at least we'll get something out of the night.

17 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Yes you will. If our lights are worse than yours,how come we can stage the game but Batley can’t?

get any more cheek from them , refuse the offer in future

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Been away til this evening and I probably have a few slices of that there funny pie stuff waiting to be swallowed! Lass kept following the score, we must have been tight to not concede when Jimmy was off (though it didn't say why) then see the half out. Sammy pops up again for 1, 3 now for him, shaping up well. Like Linners, disappointed we didn't nil em but onto Haven next, little to fear as I reckon tonight will have bred confidence back into the squad. Under the circumstances basically playing on a neutral ground and going up 24 is a real kick-on point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phildog said:

in fact unless Dews have managed to get their caterer in there'll be no refreshments anyway.

Dewsbury managed to service all refreshment needs within the ground, and Batley supplied all the catering for Sponsors, players & officials 

At short notice both club's pulled together and made the evening a success, you got 2 valuable points, worst case scenario the RFL could have been awkward and simply said "game awarded to Barrow & a fine" 

Try look at the positive's of the evening game on, 2 points, no fine

Be happy 🤔👏👏👏

• Like 10

Watched the first half of the game which was a bit dour. Just one line break with defence on top. Didn't see the second half due to an appointment Anyway a win is a win so good result.

Rod Le-Huray  could you PM me in regard to my donation. Cheers!

7 hours ago, phildog said:

Been away til this evening and I probably have a few slices of that their funny pie stuff waiting to be swallowed! Lass kept following the score, we must have been tight to not concede when Jimmy was off (though it didn't say why) then see the half out. Sammy pops up again for 1, 3 now for him, shaping up well. Like Linners, disappointed we didn't nil em but onto Haven next, little to fear as I reckon tonight will have bred confidence back into the squad. Under the circumstances basically playing on a neutral ground and going up 24 is a real kick-on point.

So again you haven’t watched but stuck the boot in at every opportunity… 

• Like 1

Batley played the conditions better some sloppy knock ons expected in the conditions but when batley did was always on the barrow 10 or 20 at worst, be disappointed to concede the two late tries when barrow never looked like scoring.

from a barrow point be thinking why can’t we play like that last 5 minutes.

think after haven beating York they’ll be on a high and be a tough game on Sunday specially up there plus for batley you do have a ncl team in the cup the weak after to get some bodies back for the Easter game.

• Like 1

KTF I made my comments pre-match AND directed NOTHING at the players. The club IS falling down on certain things and I'm not the only one to say so. Collectively there needs to be socks pulled up; several have commented on website as an example. The way some people have a go at those who have a go is just as bad. We have differing opinions with the same ends in mind, doesn't make me more right or wrong than you. PLUS my comments last night post match didn't stick any boots in at all, quite the opposite.

NOR Coolie was I derogatory to Dewsbury, there aren't many, if any, Batley fans who give as much support to you; my comment about catering was simply regarding the timescale in which they had to work, it would have been quite possible for the lasses from Market Cafe to have been unable to cover at such short notice after other stuff they might have going on. The fact that they did is testament to your organisers where ours let our side down.

Edited by phildog
Omission

48 minutes ago, phildog said:

KTF I made my comments pre-match AND directed NOTHING at the players. The club IS falling down on certain things and I'm not the only one to say so. Collectively there needs to be socks pulled up; several have commented on website as an example. The way some people have a go at those who have a go is just as bad. We have differing opinions with the same ends in mind, doesn't make me more right or wrong than you. PLUS my comments last night post match didn't stick any boots in at all, quite the opposite.

NOR Coolie was I derogatory to Dewsbury, there aren't many, if any, Batley fans who give as much support to you; my comment about catering was simply regarding the timescale in which they had to work, it would have been quite possible for the lasses from Market Cafe to have been unable to cover at such short notice after other stuff they might have going on. The fact that they did is testament to your organisers where ours let our side down.

Who said anything about the players? 

stop trying to direct everything about the players? It’s about the club you didn’t go last night but slag the club off at every opportunity you can it’s not failing at anything it’s like every business it’s has faults like Tesco or Asda or even Leeds rhinos, anyway I know the club loses out on money from last night but I’m sure Kevin would be happy after the game instead of a 100k fine and a points taken off… also don’t forget we will probably make it up in the cup 

It probably wasn’t at short notice behind the scenes between Kevin and Mark who are probably close friends if the club knew the floodlights weren’t working and they might of spoken Saturday morning - it happens move on and support the club it’s boring when you just nit pick every negative 

• Like 1

Dewsbury were excellent for us last night in every way, great neighbours.

Thank you so much and all the best for the season

Edited by Bat Lad
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

It was a good all round gritty performance by the team last night. The Pack dominated despite having two big lads missing (Hirst & Gledhill ) and this gave Jimmy Meadows space to cause Barrow a few headaches !!! Forget about the last 5 minutes because overall the team pulled together and were full value for the 2 points ..

It has to be said that the Coach played a blinder  by selecting individuals who could safely catch the Sammut bombs . It was a big factor in nullifying his threat . I cannot recall one high ball being dropped all night ( although no doubt somebody will come on here and correct me !)

Barrow are no mugs so the team can look back on the game with some satisfaction.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, nineoil said:

It was a good all round gritty performance by the team last night. The Pack dominated despite having two big lads missing (Hirst & Gledhill ) and this gave Jimmy Meadows space to cause Barrow a few headaches !!! Forget about the last 5 minutes because overall the team pulled together and were full value for the 2 points ..

It has to be said that the Coach played a blinder  by selecting individuals who could safely catch the Sammut bombs . It was a big factor in nullifying his threat . I cannot recall one high ball being dropped all night ( although no doubt somebody will come on here and correct me !)

Barrow are no mugs so the team can look back on the game with some satisfaction.

No offence to Hirst we look a better side without him 

• Like 1

75mins of pure old fashioned rugby from our boys, they played the conditions perfectly, our completion rate must have been close to 90% Barrow just couldn't match our physicality thought all our big men reilly, kibula, brown, dominated the middle of the field, also thought the way linners rotated the subs was spot on, I don't think I've ever seen a game where the opposition have started at least 75% of there sets in their own 10/20 Mark, this game could have been a potential banana skin for us with all the disruption before the game, but to be fair we handled it spot ON, and a bit of  praise to our near neighbours and all the people behind the scenes who helped to get the game on! WELL DONE. 

• Like 2

I even sent Kevin a message about about the game last night once I got home. I for one enjoyed the match, have you noticed the bonding between Morton and McGowan very clever, I'm not sure but did McGowan go off and that's when Barrow scored their tries.

I suppose the best was made of a really bad situation, much in part to the Dewsbury club. The score flattered Barrow, and l thought our defence was outstanding. This was especially apparent on our goalline. We are still struggling in attack but l think we are not far off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The scrim reaper said:

75mins of pure old fashioned rugby from our boys, they played the conditions perfectly, our completion rate must have been close to 90% Barrow just couldn't match our physicality thought all our big men reilly, kibula, brown, dominated the middle of the field, also thought the way linners rotated the subs was spot on, I don't think I've ever seen a game where the opposition have started at least 75% of there sets in their own 10/20 Mark, this game could have been a potential banana skin for us with all the disruption before the game, but to be fair we handled it spot ON, and a bit of  praise to our near neighbours and all the people behind the scenes who helped to get the game on! WELL DONE. 

I was also impressed with some of the kicking which was both long and accurate and helped to pin Barrow down.  And credit to Barrow, well beaten on the night but never gave up.