Derek Beaumont: 'Ditch Super League and call it Ultimate Rugby!'

10 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Its not a European League it's a UK league that limits the number of international teams to two and forces one of them pay all travel costs of their opposition 

That's far too long as a title, I think.  

INAELIAUKLTITTTAFOOTPATFOOTO just does not trip off the tongue.

👍😊😀

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Madrileño said:

OK - in case you are being serious, I'll answer you.

The entire world thinks of a different sport when they hear the word "rugby".

Literally nobody (statistically speaking) thinks of League when they hear rugby mentioned.

I appreciate the story is different in towns like Widnes and Dewsbury, but there is actually a huge world beyond those places, and if the game wants to remain viable as a professional sport, it needs to grow beyond its current, scarily inward-looking, supporter base. 

"Owning the name" (rugby) is a nonsensical fantasy. That ship sailed about 25 years ago. 

Are you suggesting we don’t call Rugby League rugby? 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

That's as bad as Baseball playing for The World Series.

As much of a joke as that is people know about it all over the world even though it is a "one league" sport (ok Japan has a big league).. If only we had something that was as well know as that (sadly I expect the closest we have is the "state of origin" for a phrase that automatically links to a sport)

11 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Why is everything he says turned into news?

Can I suggest its because he is smarter than the average bear (to quote Yogi)... while i will knock some of what comes out of his mouth, or fingers on twitter, and i think the rebrand was a mess (though the name etc is a good idea).. he knows exactly what he is doing with some of these statements and it is getting eyes on.. he is saying it to get headlines, to cause ripples etc.. like it or not, think its a good idea or not, that is his aim and he is very good at it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RP London said:

Can I suggest its because he is smarter than the average bear (to quote Yogi)... while i will knock some of what comes out of his mouth, or fingers on twitter, and i think the rebrand was a mess (though the name etc is a good idea).. he knows exactly what he is doing with some of these statements and it is getting eyes on.. he is saying it to get headlines, to cause ripples etc.. like it or not, think its a good idea or not, that is his aim and he is very good at it.

Yes, all of that or.. he just spends too much time on twitter.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, phiggins said:

If we're going for something where we put an adjective ahead of the word rugby, I'd suggest "Superior" or "Better than that other"

Premier Rugby. Luxury Rugby.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

2 hours ago, RP London said:

As much of a joke as that is people know about it all over the world even though it is a "one league" sport (ok Japan has a big league).. If only we had something that was as well know as that (sadly I expect the closest we have is the "state of origin" for a phrase that automatically links to a sport)

Wasn’t it called the world series because of the sponsor?

Edited by Chrispmartha

21 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think so.. but not for a while now.

34 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Yes, from its sponsor the New York World.  From that it was the World's Series then ultimately the "World" Series and from there sprung the arrogant US habit of calling their domestic champions world champions.

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

Yes, from its sponsor the New York World.  From that it was the World's Series then ultimately the "World" Series and from there sprung the arrogant US habit of calling their domestic champions world champions.

Nope. Urban legend. 

It's called the World Series because of the hyperbole required when the winner of the American League and the winner of the National League face each other.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

How on earth do you connect "plastic" 7s and 9s with the number of the proper 13 a side?

Think about it.

It's using a number to differentiate it from 'real rugby' sticking 13 on the end of rugby is just the same, it denotes a variant of Rugby Union not a completely different sport.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Nope. Urban legend. 

It's called the World Series because of the hyperbole required when the winner of the American League and the winner of the National League face each other.

All came down to good old all-american marketing

Rugby League is basically British bulldog with a ball........... 

How about SMASH BALL.....SLAMDOWN.......POWERSLAM 😁

Something naff and wrestlemania sounding for the kids.......

There's nothing 'super' about rugby league so I'd leave the superlatives out and 'Rugby' is taken

Bring back the 'Biff' (at least in name)

'Ultimate Rugby League' is a decent positioning statement

BETFRED
SMASHBALL
Ultimate Rugby League

LETS GO PLAY ''SMASHBALL'' etc....

Edited by tuutaisrambo

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

1 hour ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Rugby League is basically British bulldog with a ball........... 

How about SMASH BALL.....SLAMDOWN.......POWERSLAM 😁

Something naff and wrestlemania sounding for the kids.......

There's nothing 'super' about rugby league so I'd leave the superlatives out and 'Rugby' is taken

Bring back the 'Biff' (at least in name)

'Ultimate Rugby League' is a decent positioning statement

BETFRED
SMASHBALL
Ultimate Rugby League

LETS GO PLAY ''SMASHBALL'' etc....

Great. If you're about 7.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season