Fri 17th March : SL : Huddersfield Giants v Wigan Warriors 19:45

Who will win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Wigan Warriors

Discuss the SL game between Huddersfield Giants and Wigan Warriors here.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

• ckn pinned this topic

16 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Wigan were 100% in the regular season 2022 at home but lost 8 away.

The trend seems to be continuing so I'll favour Huddersfield here.

Agree with your prediction but trend continues?, last season 100% record this season that lasted 1 game. 

Gotta be a harder game than last week for us?

Glad to see Olly and Will at half backs, losing Theo was a downer but Pryce changed the game for us last week.

Glad Trout is back to offset the loss of Greenwood and would like to see Seb have a run at the wigan pack.

Looking forward to it, Giants hopefully by 10

On 15/03/2023 at 19:39, DimmestStar said:

Wigan were 100% in the regular season 2022 at home but lost 8 away.

The trend seems to be continuing so I'll favour Huddersfield here.

We're 50/50 home and away, so tough to say how we're going or will go, either at home or away.

As for tonight, I don't fancy us in the slightest. I just don't think we've got the pack this season to win against sides that will really grind it through the middle and Catalans did that, Huddersfield will and Saints will be next level in that regard. When we have a top class second rower on either side, we can negate that but Bateman has left a huge hole. People said he wasn't at his best this last two years but it was comfortably better than anything Willie Isa will Produce and KPP looks like he's in Australia already. 

Huddersfield by 10

• Like 1

Two ordinary sides out there tonight. Wigan deserved the win at 3 try’s to 1 but both looked devoid of much idea. Huddersfield in particular were so poor. Their game plan of safety first at every opportunity isn’t something I can see the players being behind for too long. They’ve got good, expansive players but it’s just so risk free. It summed up their night that with 6 seconds on the clock and only 2 behind, Leroy Cudjoe just took a hit up and that was that. 

Plenty to work on for both sides. 

Jeez that was a slog and a half, neither side did anything of any excitement apart from a half break from field, it was literally 80 minutes of 5 drives and a poor kick from both sides, we didn't do enough to win at all and Wigan deserved the win. 

30 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Jeez that was a slog and a half, neither side did anything of any excitement apart from a half break from field, it was literally 80 minutes of 5 drives and a poor kick from both sides, we didn't do enough to win at all and Wigan deserved the win. 

Listening as opposed to watching (Mancs Radio) it sounded like Wigan picked Hudds pocket.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

11 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just 14 posts in total for both pre and post match in this thread, which is actually a game between two of the pre season favourites for the big gong this year, jeez IMG have some work to do. 

To be honest there was nothing much to comment on!

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Your missing the point daz, pre game there was only 11 comments should that be the case for what are two high profile clubs and a competitive fixture?

Then 3 post game.

Depends if anyone has anything to say on it, i guess most folk will comment on their own game or the tv ones.

22 minutes ago, doc said:

Watched highlights. When the Giants went for the third penalty goal, I had to check i wasn't watching union!😁

To be honest it was the only way we looked like scoring most of the night.

• Like 1

Huddersfield have the deepest squad in the league, so their level shouldn’t ever really drop but I watched them in that cup final against us last year and you just felt they missed a bit of X Factor. To then see them go and make lots of solid signings, that have really thickened out the squad surprised me. It just felt like they needed 2 or 3 explosive players, with a bit more pace in the backs. Jake Connor should add to them but certainly not in terms of pace or making them a threat from deep. 

The tactics also baffle me. I thought their own negativity kept us in that cup final and it was even worse last night. Going for 2 points at every opportunity, safety first 5 drives and a kick and so on. I can’t see many of the players enjoying it. Ian Watson was lauded after his job at Salford but Mark Flanagan seemed to suggest in the recent Out of Your League episode, that Martin Gleeson was responsible for their attacking flair. That would make sense watching the tactics at Huddersfield under Watson. 

• Like 1

On 18/03/2023 at 13:43, WN83 said:

The tactics also baffle me. I thought their own negativity kept us in that cup final and it was even worse last night. Going for 2 points at every opportunity, safety first 5 drives and a kick and so on. I can’t see many of the players enjoying it. Ian Watson was lauded after his job at Salford

These were typical of Watson's strategies at Salford till Paul Rowley was employed as the assistant coach but Watson got all the plaudits which he wasn't worthy of, which I told everyone at the time.