New RFL CEO appointed

28 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

The consensus seems to be that even if the guy isn't a very exciting appointment it doesn't really matter because the job isn't very important any more.

That's all right then.

Yeah, I thought that was very reassuring 🤣🤣

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

18 minutes ago, langpark said:

I do not know the guy. Can anyone tell me why he is such a bad choice? And please cite some examples other than "because he is an in-house appointment"?

I don't know the guy either so I can't really do that.

But you invite applicants from all walks of life and business from around the world and it turns out that the best candidate worldwide for the role of innovative strategic thinker just happens to already work for you at a lower level as an accountant.

I mean what are the chances?

I wouldn't be arguing everything in perfect in RL land but I'm also not sure I see the need for a 'disrupter' to tear everything up either. Things have been going along ok - not seen any sign just yet of the RLWC having completely bankrupted the game as suggested - so maybe stability is alright for now while we see what IMG are up to.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

49 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

But you invite applicants from all walks of life and business from around the world and it turns out that the best candidate worldwide for the role of innovative strategic thinker just happens to already work for you at a lower level as an accountant.

That is misrepresenting the situation. He has been COO since 2019.

Im not suggesting he is the right choice, I know very little about him, but we don't need to misrepresent his position. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

That is one way of putting it.

The reason I asked is because I am seeing a lot of blind pessimism here on the basis that he is "already involved in RL." It actually reminds me of the blind optimism we saw when David Collier was appointed as CEO of RLIF, simply because he has sports other than RL on his resumé. How did that work out for us? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DimmestStar said:

Again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

That is misrepresenting the situation. He has been COO since 2019.

Im not suggesting he is the right choice, I know very little about him, but we don't need to misrepresent his position. 

He's been COO to a COO-type CEO, in a small sport that's done little progressive until finally getting some partners in to do all the progressive stuff last year. Doesn't strike me as the driven, go-getting type!

That said, what we mostly need is IMG and the clubs executing on the plan, and the RFL doing boring governance and operational admin stuff, so if the role shape is different to how it should have been before (not that it actually was done right before) then maybe he might be the right fella after all eh

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

2 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Norwich once spent ages looking for a new manager in the close season, said they were scouring Europe for the top talent and ended up appointing Neil Adams (their under 15s manager and Canary Call post match Radio Norfolk phone in host), this reminds me of that. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Navigating applications from leading global candidates, it is amazing we had the best candidate already. In that case, why didn’t the turf Rimmer for him all those years ago?

Rimmer was the leading global candidate and Tony Sutton was second. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

It's not just that we seem to always appoint from within, it's also that those from within pretty much all have the same background, uni, and career path.

Reallly depressing.

We do seem to have a Guess Who profile in place and the new guy just slots into it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

We do seem to have a Guess Who profile in place and the new guy just slots into it.

If it was a genuine succession plan with top quality individuals already identified and in place that would be great, I just don’t think it is, it’s just let’s appoint the next bloke because we know him and he’s sound. 

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Navigating applications from leading global candidates, it is amazing we had the best candidate already. In that case, why didn’t the turf Rimmer for him all those years ago?

Because the sport possibly couldn’t afford to do so on the back of the pay off his predecessor received.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jul/16/rfl-2m-losses-over-300000-nigel-wood

It may well be he was the best candidate. It may well be that the sport couldn’t afford an alternative and it was cheaper to promote him. Only those making the appointment at the time will know the answer to that question. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

It's always the same spiel with these appointments, theres been a comprehensive worldwide search, he's already made improvements, he'll set about creating a great culture and high performing organisation etc. It's the same with every RFL appointment.

The trouble is these people have been part of the RFL for years and have been part of the very organisation where all these improvements are needed. If all of these improvements were made so quickly, and were needed in the first place, then why did Rimmer remain in post for so long? Why did Wood? Why is the sport appointing people from within such a failing organisation? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Damien said:

It's always the same spiel with these appointments, theres been a comprehensive worldwide search, he's already made improvements, he'll set about creating a great culture and high performing organisation etc. It's the same with every RFL appointment.

The trouble is these people have been part of the RFL for years and have been part of the very organisation where all these improvements are needed. If all of these improvements were made so quickly, and were needed in the first place, then why did Rimmer remain in post for so long? Why did Wood? Why is the sport appointing people from within such a failing organisation? 

One thing I would say on this one, is that this is possibly the only change where there maybe was an actual succession plan, as the moving out of Rimmer was done in a much more managed way than some of the others. 

I agree about the culture pieces - tbh, shouldn't a lot of the positive cultures be in place?

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

One thing I would say on this one, is that this is possibly the only change where there maybe was an actual succession plan, as the moving out of Rimmer was done in a much more managed way than some of the others. 

I agree about the culture pieces - tbh, shouldn't a lot of the positive cultures be in place?

The succession plan is another contradiction to me. A worldwide search but there was a succession plan in place for an internal candidate, who was interim CEO anyway, to take over doesn't really tally to me.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

The succession plan is another contradiction to me. A worldwide search but there was a succession plan in place for an internal candidate, who was interim CEO anyway, to take over doesn't really tally to me.

I suspect in reality, we are now paying way down the expected salary scale, meaning that it is more likely that a worldwide search brought zero better candidates for the money we were prepared to pay. So technically it's all true - we searched worldwide for a cheap exec, and realised we had a decent cheap exec! 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I suspect in reality, we are now paying way down the expected salary scale, meaning that it is more likely that a worldwide search brought zero better candidates for the money we were prepared to pay. So technically it's all true - we searched worldwide for a cheap exec, and realised we had a decent cheap exec! 😆

I strongly suspect you are right.