Workington A

Wakefield Ram

23 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

We were poor last year and you don't have the best record at Derwent Park. I'm not going to call it but should be an absolute cracker.  

Both teams were poor last season and that’s why we were relegated. No disrespect to those who we’ve already played but this is our biggest test so far. Like you say it’s the making of been a cracker,may the best team win. Any win will do for me whether it’s by 1 point or 20.

I believe Finny will have to select his top available players for this fixture, maybe this team:

Restall; Carr, Jordan, Greensmith, Whiteley; Sykes, Turner; Beckett, Butterworth, Dixon; Graham, Garside; Morris: subs: Day, Ferguson, Davies, Walker, 18th man: O’Connor.

Even with that, I have a sense of foreboding about this tough, perhaps make or break game. I do hope I am wrong, but we have nodded off a little in previous games, especially last week when Rochdale scored two tries when down to 11 men. Thankfully we got back on the horse then, but we cannot afford those lapses this week.

Workington 19-18 Dewsbury

FTS: Beckett

MoM: Jordan

Att: 632

• Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

Town have started the season extremely well with a relatively young side full of local talent and will no doubt give Dewsbury a game - the result I guess could go either way but hopefully the young guns will give Mr Sykes and co the runaround. UTT.

We're getting there

Still making silly mistakes and giving penalties and cheap turnovers with ball in hand. 

Stop those basic errors and this team will go well in this division

Well done boys today.. But still work to do 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Sound performance after the usual long bus ride. A couple of simple errors but Workington never looked threatening.

This team really seems to be growing together. I wouldn't like to predict an unbeaten season but on this form we should be confident of doing well. As others have said previously a winning season in a lower league is certainly more enjoyable than struggling regularly in the Championship.

What is noticeable is slower line-speeds, giving players more time to run moves and no real pace shown by any team or players so far (including ours to be frank). Having the majority of possession is certainly a big advantage and clearly tires out the opposition in the latter stages.

Our next two league games should definitely show where we really stand in this league.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

We were on top for the majority of the game, but unlike the writer above, I thought that Workington gave us some scary moments, more so when we allowed them an easy touchdown and other times when they were near our line. They were unlucky to have a try disallowed in the first half when, to me, their player clearly touched down on the line.

With our try in the first minute I did wonder if were going to score freely after that, but Town thought differently and we seemed to choose a battle at close quarters for parts of the match. Ferguson really troubled the hosts and I still wish we followed him in readiness for a pass. In the end it was a good team effort, but we really ought to cut out those unnecessary penalties, such as pushing an opponent when about to play the ball. Whiteley, Graham had good games, as did Butterworth again, with a good stint. 

Should we worry about our goalkicker’s four missed conversions and did Jordan actually touch down correctly, or did the ball touch the corner flag, or did he step into touch, or drop the ball?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

6 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

We were on top for the majority of the game, but unlike the writer above, I thought that Workington gave us some scary moments, more so when we allowed them an easy touchdown and other times when they were near our line. They were unlucky to have a try disallowed in the first half when, to me, their player clearly touched down on the line.

With our try in the first minute I did wonder if were going to score freely after that, but Town thought differently and we seemed to choose a battle at close quarters for parts of the match. Ferguson really troubled the hosts and I still wish we followed him in readiness for a pass. In the end it was a good team effort, but we really ought to cut out those unnecessary penalties, such as pushing an opponent when about to play the ball. Whiteley, Graham had good games, as did Butterworth again, with a good stint. 

Should we worry about our goalkicker’s four missed conversions and did Jordan actually touch down correctly, or did the ball touch the corner flag, or did he step into touch, or drop the ball?

He touched down correctly - it says so in the papers.

• Like 3

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.