Widnes challenge cup 4th round.

graham fisher

Good to see Widnes short of half backs. It will be interesting to see how Callum Turner and Paul Sykes work against a Championship defence. 

Think it's essential we get a good start. Their form in March has been a bit up and down, thrash Halifax and then get thrashed by Sheffield. 

Think Widnes will win, but hope we put on a good performance. 

• Like 1

Dewsbury squad

1. Owen Restall

2. Lewis Carr

3. Ollie Greensmith

6. Paul Sykes

7. Calum Turner

8. Jimmy Beckett

9. Reiss Butterworth

10. Dale Ferguson

11. Connor Davies

12. Matt Garside

14. Sam Day

15. Ronan Dixon

17. Elliot Morris

18. Brad Graham

20. Jackson Walker

21. Caelum Jordan

22. Jack Coventry

23. Perry Whiteley

25. Tom Wilkinson

26. Bailey O’Connor

28. Luke Littlewoo

Widnes squad

1 Jack Owens 
2 Ryan Ince

3 Matt Fleming
5 Kieran Dixon 
8 Owen Farnworth 
9 Matty Fozard 
10 Kyle Amor 
11 Sam Wilde 
12 Adam Lawton 
13 Liam Bent 
16 Callum Field 
17 Shane Grady
18 Joe Lyons 
19 Olly Davies 
20 Joe Edge 
21 Lewis Hatton
22 Aaron Brown 
23 Will Tilleke
24 Ollie Brookes 
25 Brad Holroyd 
27 Ant Walker 

Looks a strong Widnes outfit coming our way. It will be a good test for us in this cup match, to see if our progress thus far is good enough for for us to compete in the Championship. I hope for a good contest, but think Widnes might have too much firepower. 

Dewsbury 16-30 Widnes

FTS: Graham

MoM: Butterworth 

Att: 874

Legs, Dews, Legs.

14 hours ago, horbury ram said:

Dewsbury squad

1. Owen Restall

2. Lewis Carr

3. Ollie Greensmith

6. Paul Sykes

7. Calum Turner

8. Jimmy Beckett

9. Reiss Butterworth

10. Dale Ferguson

11. Connor Davies

12. Matt Garside

14. Sam Day

15. Ronan Dixon

17. Elliot Morris

18. Brad Graham

20. Jackson Walker

21. Caelum Jordan

22. Jack Coventry

23. Perry Whiteley

25. Tom Wilkinson

26. Bailey O’Connor

28. Luke Littlewoo

I’d be happy to see some of the “experienced” lads given the day off as happened in the last round.  Big game to come next Friday.  

32 minutes ago, NickD said:

I’d be happy to see some of the “experienced” lads given the day off as happened in the last round.  Big game to come next Friday.  

I agree. Not much rest time before the Hunslet game and they have the weekend off so we need to be fired up for that game.

Challenge Cup is all well and good but it has long since lost its appeal, doesn't generate any real income and is, frankly, a distraction for us this season. Best to leave it to the big guns, like Batley.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Usual Dewsbury apathy. Hoping we put out our strongest team and have a go at it tomorrow. Club doesn't seem particularly interested in promoting what could be our biggest match of the season, which might lure in a few new curious punters.

Still enjoy the Challenge Cup and it's sad to hear fans and clubs play it down - especially now the 1895 Cup gives smaller clubs a realistic hope of playing at Wembley. I'd rather us have a Cup shock that we remember in decades to come than win what is a fairly low standard league competition which is, in all likelihood, going to see a change of format in the near future.

1 hour ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

I'd rather us have a Cup shock that we remember in decades to come than win what is a fairly low standard league competition which is, in all likelihood, going to see a change of format in the near future.

Id rather us have both,a cup win tomorrow against Widnes and especially promotion out of championship 1 because we need to back into the championship otherwise I reckon we’ll be cast adrift with all the changes that are coming.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Id rather us have both,a cup win tomorrow against Widnes and especially promotion out of championship 1 because we need to back into the championship otherwise I reckon we’ll be cast adrift with all the changes that are coming.

The way things are looking,I don't think it will just be Championship 1 clubs who are set adrift.

• Sad 2

Routing for you lads even from across the valley against one of our old coaches.

Congrats

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

I feel quite gruntled with that performance and result.

😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

38 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

😎

What a difference a coach makes. Cautiously optimistic about this season, but of course I haven't been able to  attend a match yet so early days. 🙄

38 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

😎

• Like 2
Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Great performance based on some excellent goal line defence. Widnes were missing their half backs so that made a big difference, but real resilience from the Rams. 

And top marks to Jimmy Beckett for his run and offload for the match winning try. 

Edited by Wakefield Ram
  • Like 2

What a brilliant treat for every Dewsbury fan who was there today. When the team defended 3 sets of 6 half way through the second half not only could we dare to think that we could win, but we were also being shown just how good Finnie's side can be, not least through the marvellous team spirit he has got going.

I thought Paul Sykes was outstanding today. He tackled fiercely throughout and was instrumental in moves that led to some of the tries, but every single player was a hero today. Best day at the match for a long time. 

• Like 6

As with most Dewsbury supporters (I guess), I really did not see a win today, especially not such a fine team performance. It took me back to 1973 in the Championship semi final win against Warrington at Wilderspool, but today we scored many more points than on that day.

We had to withstand repeated set restarts, some of which seemed to be at the referee’s whim to me. When Fozard ran through untouched to score I thought there would be more to come and couldn’t see us scoring, but was pleased when Carr went over after good passing and even more more so when we took the lead with Butterworth’s determination to score.

The second half was a tremendous performance by Dewsbury, withstanding everything that Widnes threw at us and then turning the tables in a powerhouse performance. The Vikings threw the ball about, yet lacked leadership, so we took advantage and scored through Greensmith, Butterworth again and when  Ronan Dixon scored that was the icing on the cake because we knew victory had been ours for a good while. Perhaps a little unfair with the great team effort, but Beckett (his break for Butterworth‘s second try was lovely to see), Sykes and Butterworth stood out.

Edited by Crown Flatter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

As a Widnes fan for 40-odd years, let me congratulate your lot for a performance that puts our slash poor squad into a place where they totally deserve to be. Forget Widnes, well done, best team all over the park, no excuses. Good luck against London, play like that an you’ll <<oops I tried to get around the swear filter and failed>> it. Well done again and good luck 🏁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3