Dewsbury

IanMac

I don’t think we are that far away from competing with the top sides in this division.

there wasn’t much between the 2 teams today, silly uncalled for penalties and some poor refereeing accounted for at least 12 points for the visitors.

that said I’m not quite sure what it is we are missing, I agree about the poor kicking on the last tackle, but it was much improved in the second half.

dewsbury had some size and we’re mobile with it, man for man they were quite a bit bulkier than we were.

I’m quite optimistic we will be in the top 3, just need the rub of the ball and stick to the game plan 

• Like 1

Agree correct team won that game today. Dewsbury line speed in defence was very good in the first half and thwarted us when we had ball in good areas. 100% a try for JJ Key that wasn't awarded. That would have made the game 6-8 and then who knows what would have happened.

But like thers have said, if they're the bench mark for league winners, we are on the right track. We competed well and could have had a different result on another day. Early days for the season but happy with what we've seen so far. 

Plenty of effort but we are just lacking that x-factor player that can unlock defences.

We are a bit one dimensional which was highlighted when we had a set near their line in the second half and we literally tried 5 one man barge overs.

Our right edge is pretty weak, I like Bickerdike as a player but he’s not a winger and gets caught out of position a lot in defence.

On the other wing Sabutey is apparently a bit of a flyer but I can’t recall a single instance of us trying to work some space for him.

Daft penalties don’t help and Stevie Scholey was the main culprit, think he gave 5 away in the first half including a stupid one for backchat.

The disallowed try under the sticks was a key moment but the ref was unsighted and without the luxury of a video ref then there’s nothing you can do. Was definitely a try but it’s history now.

Finally, it’s a pity Whiteley never played like that when he was here !

• Like 2

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Beaten by probably the best team in our division. They made yards too easy due to being much bigger than us, their first set they made 70m in 4 plays and made a minimum of 10m per play throughout the game. The 2 refereeing decisions that went against us were shockers but the touch judge was responsible for both of them, it's was incompetence on his part. We need a win at Hurricanes to regain confidence. UTT

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

Best team won, but we competed well enough for most of the game. Rams were quicker around the ruck than we were and were a lot more polished in their attacking plays. That said it took a couple of poor refereeing decisions to take the game away from us. That had to be a try under the sticks wasn't it? Can anyone that watched it on TV confirm? And they also scored a try from what looked like a dropped ball in contact which was a 12 point swing and could have made it a different game.

If the rams are the best team in the competition we aren't that far behind. A good experienced half back like a Sykes would make a big difference to us. Our last play kicks are pretty poor on the whole, and we don't have that player that just guides us around dictating the attacking plays. But we are still miles better than I expected at the end of last season. 

Let's hope we learn and keep improving UTT. 

I think it shows us where we are, a team with a lot of inexperience in key positions and missing a real big ball handling forward, if there is still such a thing. All those who were playing amateur last year, Key, Stephenson, Reid, McNichlas, Kirkup didn’t look out of place against a really experienced pack of forwards. A little bit of luck and it would have been closer. After scoring we picked the pace up and for a short time looked a lot better, that is what we are going to have to play like for 80 mins. The referee, to put it mildly was very poor with some very strange decisions, the most obvious being a couple of blatant knock ons that he thought went backwards, not the reason we were beaten as Dewsbury were more composed and quicker in their attack, but very poor when he’s refereeing semi pro rugby. 

• Like 1

Thought we where exposed easily by Dewsbury quick PTB and big forwards running good angles, we where very pedestrian until the two big props came on and we gained a lot of momentum, when they where taken off we lost our way again. No general to guide us round the field and I am not one to knock referees but that chap today was very poor, two crucial decisions given totally wrong, his assessment of high tackles was inconsistent to say the least. Still onwards and upwards nothing is decided at this early stage of the season but on today’s show it is going to be hard to make an impression on the top three.

• Like 1

Lot of huff and puff but ponderous with the ball . To much slow passing and lateral play . Walker and Henson are our best attacking weapons but frustrate me that they don’t play direct and run more. We’re just way to easy to defend against. I couldn’t tell you who the other half was he was anonymous . Sabutey looks lively , twice in the first half we should have passed to him . He’ll do ok with good service . The Mossop Bickerdike side is totally blunt . Disappointing that we gave up some soft tries tbh and it was a smash n grab raid from them really . They were no world beaters but contained us easily and did more than enough with some nice plays that we didn’t have . They controlled the match and overall I thought we were very poor 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bobg said:

Thought we where exposed easily by Dewsbury quick PTB and big forwards running good angles, we where very pedestrian until the two big props came on and we gained a lot of momentum, when they where taken off we lost our way again. No general to guide us round the field and I am not one to knock referees but that chap today was very poor, two crucial decisions given totally wrong, his assessment of high tackles was inconsistent to say the least. Still onwards and upwards nothing is decided at this early stage of the season but on today’s show it is going to be hard to make an impression on the top three.

I'm sure the ref is a Workington lad  bobg, wasn't the reason we lost tho we where poor in my eyes, the Rams made better yards with the ball and defended there line well saying that we didn't really make them work that hard , move on to next week and a big improvement needed.

5 minutes ago, Hate the rec said:

I'm sure the ref is a Workington lad  bobg, wasn't the reason we lost tho we where poor in my eyes, the Rams made better yards with the ball and defended there line well saying that we didn't really make them work that hard , move on to next week and a big improvement needed.

The ref is from Distington.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Very disappointing after last week but i've no expectations this year. I could tell early on with the sloppy passing that we were "off" . As last week our best spell was when Reid and Kirkup were on. I don't see Mallinson as the answer to our halfback problem. 

To sum up i'll wait and see if that was just an off day. There's some work to do this week especially on fielding kicks. 

Edited by homeandawayer
  • Like 1

Matched them for most of first half. Was a few dodgy decisions but know excuse. We just lacked ideas on last tackle,especially first half, camped on there line. They looked comfortable in defending against us(Thats where we lack different plays last tackle.). Hopefully improve week by week n wont be far away.

We let dewsbury run with the ball... we needed to move our line up. 

A few times our lot got passed the ball and they didn't know what to do with it. 

Our forwards need to be running onto the ball. 

However the ref was awful and affected our game. Absolutely no need for Caine to be sent off. 

At least we know what needs to be improved and I look forward to our next game. 

The pitch looked good with the amount of rain we've had too. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

Very disappointing after last week but i've no expectations this year. I could tell early on with the sloppy passing that we were "off" . As last week our best spell was when Reid and Kirkup were on. I don't see Mallinson as the answer to our halfback problem. 

To sum up i'll wait and see if that was just an off day. There's some work to do this work especially on fielding kicks. 

Absolutely as bobg said our best spell was when Reid and Kirkup were on field, no disrespect to our starting middles who work really hard and are very good in defence but are way too small to cause any problems up the middle.

Also need a play maker as our last tackle options are average to say the least but hey we are were we are

I watched this game on YouTube (Sportsman) which was good coverage. Both coaches gave a fair and honest summary of the match at the end, showing how much more they see than the average fan.

There wasn't a lot between the teams and Dewsbury (my team) were slightly flattered by the score. However I felt that if Town had started to make a comeback then we could easily have moved up a gear.

Both sides defended well, especially in the first half, and the lack of any real quality in this league is obvious - no clear breaks by either side and no different moves either. Our pack, and a couple of the backs, were too big for your lads and we looked fitter. Our line speed was better and the ptb was quicker - these all add up in the course of the game. Combine that with us having the majority of possession and you ran out of steam mid-way through the second half. 

No disgrace in your performance and you will certainly win a lot more than you lose this year.

(The referee could be criticised I suppose but remember the league that we are playing in and the fact that SL have lost a couple of refs, meaning that a few have moved up. I don't think that he made any more mistakes than a few of the players.)

• Like 5

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, The Voodooguru said:

Best team won, but we competed well enough for most of the game. Rams were quicker around the ruck than we were and were a lot more polished in their attacking plays. That said it took a couple of poor refereeing decisions to take the game away from us. That had to be a try under the sticks wasn't it? Can anyone that watched it on TV confirm? And they also scored a try from what looked like a dropped ball in contact which was a 12 point swing and could have made it a different game.

If the rams are the best team in the competition we aren't that far behind. A good experienced half back like a Sykes would make a big difference to us. Our last play kicks are pretty poor on the whole, and we don't have that player that just guides us around dictating the attacking plays. But we are still miles better than I expected at the end of last season. 

Let's hope we learn and keep improving UTT. 

It was a try as I posted earlier grounded on the line but the official were unsightly.

If we had scored then momentum could have changed. Perry Whitely ex town was the difference but our big forwards will be good for us.

• Like 1

Lack of size and aggression in the forwards, lack of pace on the left hand side imo. You can only judge half backs in a team that moves forwards. Poor discipline cost us points. Some good things though, burns and sabutey looked good as did Hurst. The most pleasing thing was they played for each other.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Peter Winthorpe said:

It was a try as I posted earlier grounded on the line but the official were unsightly.

If we had scored then momentum could have changed. Perry Whitely ex town was the difference but our big forwards will be good for us.

He was rubbish at Town

2 hours ago, Hate the rec said:

I didn’t say the ref cost us the match, I said he was inconsistent and made some crucial errors, if he is local it is often a difficult situation as he can’t be seen to favour the home team but I do feel that Dewsbury benefited from most 50-50 calls.

• Like 3

Watched the game again on YouTube, easy win for dewsbury,they looked if they had another gear in them,town are building but that was poor go forward, one out rugby no plays off the 9 or half's easy read for dewsburys defence.roll on next game.

Thought Davies went well for the rams today also. Looked more interested then he did in a town shirt and also looks a bit beefier.

In summary we look a very much team in progress but missed that xfactor hooker off the bench henson used to be.

Burns is a quality signing as is Sabuety but let's go on next week.

Thought Davies went well for the rams today also. Looked more interested then he did in a town shirt and also looks a bit beefier.

In summary we look a very much team in progress but missed that xfactor hooker off the bench henson used to be.

Burns is a quality signing as is Sabuety but let's go on next week.