London Broncos & London Skolars

11 hours ago, Leonard said:

Was talking to an AFC Wimbledon friend this afternoon and he was suggesting that Broncos want out of PL with potentially London Irish moving in. 

Apparently PL has not met expectations - whatever that means.

Make of that what you will.

London Irish want in, that has been confirmed. That's the first time I've heard it suggested Broncos actively want out. (Edited for clarity, Irish have held exploratory talks with Dons about moving in. It's not known to have gone beyond that yet.)

If true, I'd suggest it may mean they have finally worked out people want to be entertained and not just to sit in a nice new stadium. Consequently, simultaneously moving to an expensive stadium, slashing the wage budget and doing no serious marketing in the new area (we had a few ads on local trains during the work from home ruling) was utterly daft.

As widely predicted by the core of few remaining loyal fans, who were promptly reportedly derided as internet whingers by the club. 

Edited by Ivarr the Boneless
Clarity
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Well, if they thought that it would turn things around then they are exceptionally naïve.  Surely they realise they've run off all their fans, even the hardcore anorak types who supported them on their tour of London.

I resent that suggestion 😀

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Says Skolars are considering moving to two venues that the Broncos have previously played at. Which for any other club would probably narrow it down a bit. 

• Haha 6

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

12 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Says Skolars are considering moving to two venues that the Broncos have previously played at. Which for any other club would probably narrow it down a bit. 

Barnet Copthall and the Hive?

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

23 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

That really doesnt fill me with confidence at all. I understand the need for investment but got to be the right people. 

As for Broncos £26m in debt and nothing to show for it. £20,000 rent per game which won't even be covered by gate receipts. That is truly bonkers. Worst run club in the country. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

That really doesnt fill me with confidence at all. I understand the need for investment but got to be the right people. 

As for Broncos £26m in debt and nothing to show for it. £20,000 rent per game which won't even be covered by gate receipts. That is truly bonkers. Worst run club in the country. 

The article is optimistic but the quotes don't actually say anything. All too vague.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2023 at 15:16, Man of Kent said:

'After 43 years, the Broncos – currently 10th in the second tier – do not own a stadium, a training ground or even offices'

what a damning couple of lines

47 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

£20,000 isn't that bad with a decent crowd with good food & drink sales but I hear you.

Interesting that they've signed Corey Norman and Dean Whare. Might go and watch if I can get a day off tag 😉

• Like 2

15 hours ago, OnStrike said:

'After 43 years, the Broncos – currently 10th in the second tier – do not own a stadium, a training ground or even offices'

With the price of land in London, I'm not surprised.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Hopefully the new owners will seek to grow and evolve the club from its roots rather than trying a revolution and starting afresh. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Hopefully the new owners will seek to grow and evolve the club from its roots rather than trying a revolution and starting afresh. 

Indeed, new investment is great, but isn't one of Skolars strengthd its activity in Haringey and neighbouring boroughs? It has produced several L1 standard players over the years, if not world beaters. Be a shame to throw that away.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Indeed, new investment is great, but isn't one of Skolars strengthd its activity in Haringey and neighbouring boroughs? It has produced several L1 standard players over the years, if not world beaters. Be a shame to throw that away.

100%. The potential locally (basically much of North East London) is substantial. Appreciate that New River in itself isn’t a great experience but more could be made of it. Any way we will see. The main thing is a new chance to grow the sport I love in London. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

100%. The potential locally (basically much of North East London) is substantial. Appreciate that New River in itself isn’t a great experience but more could be made of it. Any way we will see. The main thing is a new chance to grow the sport I love in London. 

New River is better than constantly moving around......agreed more could be made if it 

Looking at Broncos there is no reason at all why they couldn't also play there ....turn it into a RL hub

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Not so sure about that.....the team needs to make some quality signings and start offering some wins for people to watch, a mini revolution at least?...agree root level stuff needs to happen too 

I'm going to the Wales game next week.....thinking it is a chance to see a London win!

24 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not so sure about that.....the team needs to make some quality signings and start offering some wins for people to watch, a mini revolution at least?...agree root level stuff needs to happen too 

I'm going to the Wales game next week.....thinking it is a chance to see a London win!

For sure the squad needs strengthening- a competitive team is priority 1, but in my view the club needs to have an identity that is a bit more specific than “London”. 

• Like 1

On 26/05/2023 at 15:56, OnStrike said:

This is going back a bit but I’m sure at one point the RFL once paid c£250k for an all weather pitch in London but failed to secure any ownership or rights to it and it is now lost in the abyss somewhere. I’m sure someone with more London knowledge than me can give a better recollection. Might have been related to South London Storm.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

13 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

For sure the squad needs strengthening- a competitive team is priority 1, but in my view the club needs to have an identity that is a bit more specific than “London”. 

Definitely. If they can find somewhere permanent, the name of that borough or area would be better than 'London' in my opinion. IMG prob won't agree though

1 minute ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

This is going back a bit but I’m sure at one point the RFL once paid c£250k for an all weather pitch in London but failed to secure any ownership or rights to it and it is now lost in the abyss somewhere. I’m sure someone with more London knowledge than me can give a better recollection. Might have been related to South London Storm.

It was at a school in Sth London. Just frivolous spending when Sport England made RL one of the best funded development programs of all English sports.

• Like 1

Just now, OnStrike said:

Definitely. If they can find somewhere permanent, the name of that borough or area would be better than 'London' in my opinion. IMG prob won't agree though

IMG won't care.

Personal view: drop the word 'London' altogether and don't replace it with anything else. Just be Skolars Rugby League.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

It was at a school in Sth London. Just frivolous spending when Sport England made RL one of the best funded development programs of all English sports.

Well remembered: https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/croydonhurricanes/news/new-facility-opened-by-rugby-league-legend-226785.html

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The Skolars do need a massive face lift.

For one, it’s a stupid name. Keep the North London roots, but ditch the worthless name. Is there something I am missing with the word Skolars? I know it was envisioned the club would recruit former University RL players who would move to London after studies. But why isn’t it Scholars? It seems like it’s a joke, like “Skolars, yeah like former students that can’t even spell Scholar”. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The Skolars do need a massive face lift.

For one, it’s a stupid name. Keep the North London roots, but ditch the worthless name. Is there something I am missing with the word Skolars? I know it was envisioned the club would recruit former University RL players who would move to London after studies. But why isn’t it Scholars? It seems like it’s a joke, like “Skolars, yeah like former students that can’t even spell Scholar”. 

They were hoping for a big sponsorship deal from Skol lager

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow