Whitehaven Share Scheme

Approach with caution. Are these actual shares in the club? Is there a holding company? Has a prospectus been issued?

I do recall other RL clubs having share sales in the distant past only for those new shareholders to eventually learn that they weren't actually "real" shares but some form of donation to keep the clubs going.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Even if they are shares in the main company it's still best viewed as a donation. Some of the shareholders hold thousands of shares according to current Companies House data. You'll probably get extra information as a shareholder but your 20 shares won't go far at a shareholder vote if it goes to one share one vote. Also the shares aren't listed anywhere so not the easiest thing to sell on.

Nothing wrong with it if you want to bung the club a few quid and stick a share certificate on your wall though. To be fair, they don't really build it up as anything more.

This is a bit like the steam railways and micro breweries that sell shares. It's more a way of funding something you believe in and probably getting a few free tickets (steam trains) or cheaper booze (brewery) than something you would expect to make money on.

I'm a minor shareholder in a non league football club for long winded reasons. Suffice to say, that won't be helping to ultimately fund my retirement.

Good luck to them.

33 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Nice to see this is greeted with the usual upbeat positivity this place and sport is renowned for. 

All the best to Haven, a real good club. 

What are your thoughts on minority shareholdings ?

In any company.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Griff said:

In any company.

My thoughts are that if I were a Whitehaven fan, I’d probably be inclined to “invest” because it’s the club I support and would understand that the rewards from it are limited and that as not a Whitehaven fan, anyone interested should read up about this sort of thing if they’re not familiar with it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Griff said:

In any company.

View it as it is  You get a small stake in the club, a share certificate to hang on the wall and whilst not much of a say help to keep the club going 

a lot of football clubs have a model where you can buy as many shares as you want but only get 1 vote.  Think FC United started that way in response to the Glazer takeover 

Good luck to Whitehaven 

1 hour ago, headtackle said:

View it as it is  You get a small stake in the club, a share certificate to hang on the wall and whilst not much of a say help to keep the club going 

Good luck to Whitehaven 

£100 for a piece of paper to hang on your wall.  You could print your own for a few pence.  There are better ways to support your club.

11 hours ago, Jughead said:

My thoughts are that if I were a Whitehaven fan, I’d probably be inclined to “invest” because it’s the club I support and would understand that the rewards from it are limited and that as not a Whitehaven fan, anyone interested should read up about this sort of thing if they’re not familiar with it. 

What are your thoughts on minority shareholdings generally? In any company. As opposed to one you'd like to donate money to.

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

What are your thoughts on minority shareholdings generally? In any company. As opposed to one you'd like to donate money to.

That it’s best to understand what it entails before you spend your money on this type of thing. 

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

That it’s best to understand what it entails before you spend your money on this type of thing. 

Interesting you should say that because there was talk on this thread about "investing" in Whitehaven shares whereas you speak of "spending money" on more common shares.

I would have thought it was the other way round.

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1

The problem with issuing shares is that there's no future income stream, yet the club has costs in mailing you accounts and holding AGMs.  Eventually, they come to resent that and start to renege on their obligations.

Buy £100 of raffle tickets.  Gives you a chance of getting something for your money, makes the club's life a lot easier.

• Like 1

It's only three months ago that they publicly confirmed that they had no money.

I'm guessing nothing's changed and there's been no further income so they are in proper desperate times.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

Pre-order only ... when the season has already started though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It's only three months ago that they publicly confirmed that they had no money.

I'm guessing nothing's changed and there's been no further income so they are in proper desperate times.

I was thinking this, didn't they come out before the season saying they were basically skint and would struggle to make it to the end of the year?

Suppose this is a creative solution to that.

• Like 1