Bradford - what's the point!

I've just got back home from Bradford after a two day jaunt to watch Carlisle United play City. It was my first visit for about twenty years when I used to travel up so my daughter could play for Crofton Cougars.

There's some wonderful Victorian era buildings and some good pubs - Corn Dolly, Sparrow and The Exchange.

But overall ... Imo... First impressions, what a total poo hole! And I lived in Croydon! 

Bradfordians... sell your city to me as I was totally underwhelmed. 

The city is in a terrible state. The useless council staggers from one catastrophe to another, tears down beautiful buildings and replaces them with tat. The council has had sole control of children's social care taken away from it because woke policies have actually harmed some kids that it was supposed to protect. (see "Star Hobson")

Every major  project runs well beyond its nominated timescale.  The city centre has many many deadbeat beggars that have either dumped themselves on the city or been dumped on it.

Despite this, traditional Bradfordians have the best of natures and the community spirit in the outlying areas is good. Gallows humour is the order of the day amongst my friends.

The city centre pubs offer a vital social scene; real ale and there are bands playing every week. Generally, all the land between the ring road and the city centre is predominantly occupied by people of ethnic immigrant stock. For years, I've walked 3 miles each way  through such an area, going to and from the city centre night-time scene. I've never had any bother.

Loads of Bradfordians have moved to the outer nicer areas ... Bingley, Shelf, Baildon, Silsden, Queensbury,Cleckheaton ... but it's an act of faith to return for Bradford City home games. The pubs are busy and there is great spirit engendered by 20,000 crowds turning out for a fourth division team.

Edited by Wolford6
  • Like 2

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

confusing charging and fines  for driving in certain parts of the place - don't go there anymore- dont give them any money or custom - dont bother doing jobs there either - utter shut hole 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

As it happens, I went out in Bradford last night (unplanned, was round at old friends). I don’t think it is going to put Las Vegas under pressure just yet - it’s  clearly not what it was BUT I had a bloody great laugh.

And I didn’t spend an arm and a leg like when out in Leeds or Manchester, which are basically just as pricey as London these days. 

16 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

confusing charging and fines  for driving in certain parts of the place - don't go there anymore- dont give them any money or custom - dont bother doing jobs there either - utter shut hole 

Ah, I assume you do all your jobs in Harehills, Gipton or Belle Isle or maybe Halton Moor? Real middle class affluent areas. 😏

(point being that we can say that any major city is a complete dump if we pick out certain areas)

5 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

(point being that we can say that any major city is a complete dump if we pick out certain areas)

good point - although some are marginally worse than others for various reasons

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile