Sat 25th-Sun 26th Mar: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

2 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Yeah and for the other teams, don't tell me Fax for eg wouldn't rather finish top 4  rather then lower and get an home game in play offs.

The Championship's been won from lower than fourth.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Just now, Griff said:

The Championship's been won from lower than fourth.

So just win occasionally and concentrate on cup and then hope you come good for play offs regardless where you come then ? Not for me that always play your best team that's what fans pay to see.

1 minute ago, Fevrover said:

So just win occasionally and concentrate on cup and then hope you come good for play offs regardless where you come then ? Not for me that always play your best team that's what fans pay to see.

Is that what I said ?

Can you point me to it ?

20 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

That's not correct

I was at Odsal in 1976 when Keighley beat Bradford Northern 3-2 in a dull and boring game

I stand corrected. Apparently they also won at Odsal the previous year too. Maybe it's the first time they've beaten Bradford at Lawkholme Lane/Cougar Park since 1945. Or maybe Radio Leeds just got it wrong. Big result in any case.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2023 at 19:33, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah I would be surprised by anything other than a big Bulls win. Keighley are really light in the forwards and they are really struggling with the step up in size so far.

Size matters!

Coaching,rugby league skills,application,team work,don't.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, bromleybulldog said:

Halifax were only missing Walmsley who is injured and Woodburn Hall who was replaced by their newly signed fullback from Fev Pickersgill

Not really but even those two may have been enough to sneak a win. JWH apparently nursing an injury and they didn't want to risk him and the same goes for Wood and Doro. I am in the always play your best team camp and for whatever reason we chose not to do that and I am sure Barrow saw that as some disrespect on our behalf and its sounds like they deserved the win and they showed some great last ditch defense by all accounts.

7 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Not really but even those two may have been enough to sneak a win. JWH apparently nursing an injury and they didn't want to risk him and the same goes for Wood and Doro. I am in the always play your best team camp and for whatever reason we chose not to do that and I am sure Barrow saw that as some disrespect on our behalf and its sounds like they deserved the win and they showed some great last ditch defense by all accounts.

Any doubts that your depth is a bit shallower than you thought Oxy?

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

10 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Any doubts that your depth is a bit shallower than you thought Oxy?

Yeah was a big worry before the season, we have a really skinny squad this year. We have played 2 wingers at centre in every game this season which makes the decision to let both centres go and not replace them a bit of a disaster. We were pretty lucky with injuries last season with only really Walmsley missing a chunk of the year where as the start of this season we have had a number of injuries to key players. On the plus side we are still in a good position to say our form has been out of sorts and it looks very similar to last season. Good division the championship this year and although Fev will win it at a canter Im sure whoever finishes in the top 6 could still pull off a surprise win against them in a one off game.

• Haha 1

I always live by the mantra if you big enough to give it billy big balls when things are going  your way then at least show some nuts and front up if you have a bad one. 

We were an absolute disgrace today and couldnt have argued if the Cougars had got 50. Poor team selection (dont want to see Ruan or Roberts from leeds ever again) poor substitutions, absolute terrible from min 1. 

Champ has shown if youre not on it you get put to the sword.  Hopefully only a blip but blooming heck its a big one. No need to panic yet. Lots of hard work needed.

At least we didnt lose to a winless team at the bottom of the league. 

Edited by Ragingbull
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Barrows team on paper has massively underperformed this year and unfortunately Fax copped us actually putting a performance together. 

It didn't look like a top end team performing poorly giving a bottom end team a sniff. Halifax completed well but our pack (which has been poor yet is one of the better packs in the league) actually stood up and allowed us a foot hold in the game. 

If Barrow start completing better and build confidence we will make our way up the table. 

• Like 2

All credit to Keighley, great win for them. Bulls were a disgrace. The losses against York and Keighley for me show why Dunning is not the man for the job. Also Dual Reg, Tindall - Great but it seems to get Tindall we have to get Ruan who in the two games I have seen is way behind even the likes of Brad England and it leaves you thinking maybe even some of the lads in our academy would do a better job. Damaging loss

The Bulls were disorganised and gave away soft tries. It's what could be expected to happen if the Leeds Rhinos were picking the team.

Are they?

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I can't believe that TO v Eagles result.

Have to say the Championship matches I've seen have all been excellent. I haven't seen any of the one sided affairs.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

27 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Sheffield have put the tries up from their game against Toulouse. Obviously it's only those limited highlights but geez, Toulouse are going to have to improve their defending/tackling if they want to be serious contenders for promotion, on the evidence here they'll need to be better just to make the play-offs.

Ach - they'll be grand.  The boot was on the other foot for Sheffield last week - 0-20 down after 15 minutes, then gave Bradford a good game in the next 65 - outscored them, in fact.  These minor disasters happen.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Sheffield have put the tries up from their game against Toulouse. Obviously it's only those limited highlights but geez, Toulouse are going to have to improve their defending/tackling if they want to be serious contenders for promotion, on the evidence here they'll need to be better just to make the play-offs.

Yes, they just didn't want to get involved in any contact. 2nd half was better I believe, or Sheffield took their foot off the peddle. I did ask the question if it was something to do with OABs injury on the plastic pitch last week that rocked them, with such a small squad, any more injuries like that would have been on their mind. However, that really shouldn't have been an excuse and they will get told so. Broncos at home in two weeks will maybe restore some confidence, and then that is the last home game until June 3rd. I still see them in 2nd when they meet Fev in June, but as we've seen, it seems anyone can beat anyone on the day.

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

Ach - they'll be grand.  The boot was on the other foot for Sheffield last week - 0-20 down after 15 minutes, then gave Bradford a good game in the next 65 - outscored them, in fact.  These minor disasters happen.

I watched the Bradford v Sheffield game, Sheffield gave themselves no chance with far too many errors and penalties in the first half, I didn't think it was down to feeble tackling.

Maybe Toulouse were just worn down by Sheffield as I haven't seen the full game, maybe playing 2 games in a row on an artificial pitch took its toll, but in isolation it looks like at least 4 or 5 of the 6 tries they conceded were from desperately weak defence, certainly I don't remember them defending that poorly during their previous stints in the Championship.