Sat 25th Mar: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Catalans Dragons KO 13:00 (Channel 4)

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/03/23 at 13:30

16 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

1. What a game! 

2. How good is the channel 4 coverage. Puts sky to shame. 

1. Totally agree 

2. It's ok....I think the fact it's new means people tend towards thinking this anyway 

In reality I'd have loved Wells to have done some a analysis either with or without the MOM ....also there would have been more analysis/conversation in the studio after....it seemed to be about 8/9 minutes after the game and then they sign off 

Overall I prefer the more technical and lengthier SKY presentation .....I also prefer  Carney over Hills (which I know some people will be spluttering over )....Brian is funny and insightful about the game from a professional players perspective 

The one thing I wish SKY would do is more pitch side presentation instead of in those little boxes 

14 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Channel 4 +1 for me.

I enjoyed watching that. Entertaining if lacking a little quality.

For a few years I've not quite understood what a double movement is anymore.

There was plenty of quality in attack mate....that left to right 20 metres pass that cut out two players from Cam Smith .....the centre-esque quick line ran from prop Holroyd for his try....Austin kicked world class the whole game 

I also don't really remember significant handling errors that stick in my mind (maybe McMeekans? )

It has plenty of quality in my eyes for attack 

Maybe too many line rushes in defence or maybe even lazy defending at times (when Cats were tired ) ?

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Fake news it was 15,567

I will take it that the number of chip portions sold was fake news too...

how many blobs of tomato sauce dispensed, any idea... cause those chips smell awful when they go past. 

18 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I will take it that the number of chip portions sold was fake news too...

how many blobs of tomato sauce dispensed, any idea... cause those chips smell awful when they go past. 

Chips/fast food at games is always instantly regrettable and expensive 

There can be decent options....

Broncos had a 'duck wrap' option few weeks ago.... £8 but delicious and more healthy than most 

• Like 1

Had to watch this recorded last night as I was out all day, what a fantastic game and another brilliant advert for RL on CH 4, they seem to get lucky in the choice of match, or do the players play up to being on an FTA channel?

Can't understand how anyone can claim a lack of quality in that game, some outstanding plays, skill, effort and will to win on show.

• Like 3

From my perspective, 

1. Cats have sorted their discipline problems.

2. Team selection is much more stable than it used to be.

3. Too many times Morgue was left unprotected by team-mates under Leeds challenging high kicks on the last tackle.

4. Cats similar kicks were poor and too easy to field.

5. The big thing for me was Leeds in the second half adopting a more NRL style of PTB: fast, AHB actually darting/driving forward rather than the Cats "SL" way of the AHB just tossing the ball to the next player, giving the defence time to close up.

If Leeds keep this up they'll be challenging for one or more prizes this season.

6 hours ago, dkw said:

Had to watch this recorded last night as I was out all day, what a fantastic game and another brilliant advert for RL on CH 4, they seem to get lucky in the choice of match, or do the players play up to being on an FTA channel?

Can't understand how anyone can claim a lack of quality in that game, some outstanding plays, skill, effort and will to win on show.

Wholly agree, dkw.

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

From my perspective, 

1. Cats have sorted their discipline problems.

2. Team selection is much more stable than it used to be.

3. Too many times Morgue was left unprotected by team-mates under Leeds challenging high kicks on the last tackle.

4. Cats similar kicks were poor and too easy to field.

5. The big thing for me was Leeds in the second half adopting a more NRL style of PTB: fast, AHB actually darting/driving forward rather than the Cats "SL" way of the AHB just tossing the ball to the next player, giving the defence time to close up.

If Leeds keep this up they'll be challenging for one or more prizes this season.

I think that's a pretty good synopsis, JohnM (though it's 'Mourgue, by the way!)

I think I am right in saying that an interesting stat re the Catalans club is that, this weekend, they have fielded five teams, in competition matches - Les Dracs in SL, St Esteve-XIII Catalan in French Elite 1, their under-19s in the Elite league for that age group, and the women's and wheelchair teams in their respective leagues.

I think that's impressive! 

• Like 5

I wonder if the fact that they’re facing each other has played a part in that? Normally a players body is turned and a player approaches side on and makes contact where’s Davies is running toward Myler, who is facing the same way so can brace. 

As an aside, I’m surprised that Jack Ashworth’s late hit on Jonny Lomax ended as “not applicable” when it has all the hallmarks of what is being phased out. 

6 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I wonder if the fact that they’re facing each other has played a part in that? Normally a players body is turned and a player approaches side on and makes contact where’s Davies is running toward Myler, who is facing the same way so can brace. 

As an aside, I’m surprised that Jack Ashworth’s late hit on Jonny Lomax ended as “not applicable” when it has all the hallmarks of what is being phased out. 

Possibly but it's still late and very high, maybe its because Myler just got up, Wilkin will be gutted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Fairly surprised Newman hasn't been banned for mouthing off seeing as he has previous!

Really surprised Tom Davies has got away with the late hit on miler seeing as they are clamping down on it

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Really surprised Tom Davies has got away with the late hit on miler seeing as they are clamping down on it

I thought that at the time. Sky would have had 50 replays of it and ignored the try scoring. Looked high to me,I must say.

On 26/03/2023 at 08:54, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

1. Totally agree 

2. It's ok....I think the fact it's new means people tend towards thinking this anyway 

In reality I'd have loved Wells to have done some a analysis either with or without the MOM ....also there would have been more analysis/conversation in the studio after....it seemed to be about 8/9 minutes after the game and then they sign off 

Overall I prefer the more technical and lengthier SKY presentation .....I also prefer  Carney over Hills (which I know some people will be spluttering over )....Brian is funny and insightful about the game from a professional players perspective 

The one thing I wish SKY would do is more pitch side presentation instead of in those little boxes 

Carney is excellent as for Channel 4 all the in matey jokes is pathetic and a total turn off for new fans.

They have to make their minds up are they just preaching to the rugby league audience or trying to win over new fans?

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Carney is excellent as for Channel 4 all the in matey jokes is pathetic and a total turn off for new fans.

They have to make their minds up are they just preaching to the rugby league audience or trying to win over new fans?

I agree, the interaction between Skelton and is it Hill seemed rather childish and amateurish to me although they may have been targeting youngsters But I don't think they were.  It was even worse than Eddie Waring type stuff and maybe how their view the sport. Whether existing or new fans that stuff for me damages the image of the sport... you know its a joke.

The best part was/is the interaction between Tomkins and whomever is being interviewed, in this case Martin and Leeds coach.

Edited by redjonn

28 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I agree, the interaction between Skelton and is it Hill seemed rather childish and amateurish to me although they may have been targeting youngsters But I don't think they were.  It was even worse than Eddie Waring type stuff and maybe how their view the sport. Whether existing or new fans that stuff for me damages the image of the sport... you know its a joke.

The best part was/is the interaction between Tomkins and whomever is being interviewed, in this case Martin and Leeds coach.

Eddie Waring was legend.

Waring became a huge joke towards the end of his commentary career. He could be very hard to understand for non-northerners, something that was played up for laughs in Its a Knockout. I used to find Ray French embarrassing as well, and both of them helped continue the impression of RL as a sport for flat-capped northerners with whippets. Compare them to their contemporary in RU, Bill McLaren, and they were laughable.