Fri 24th Mar: SL: Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/03/23 at 20:30

• John Drake changed the title to Fri 24th Mar: SL: Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils KO 20:00 (Sky)

Sadly a Warriors triumph of epic proportions and might be a case of one way traffic in spite of Peet's attempt to rouse the troops with tough match speech.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

A group of us are going to this.

I can't say I expect much to go SRD's way but-

a. I (no joke) enjoy the cheese pies there

b. It's a dry good view in the away, which you can't say in most places.

c. Both sides usually embrace positive play.

d. And whatever happens its a place that always evoke a certain Diabolic magic evening on the 4th October 2019. 

I'm playing it cagey and will say Salford by 1, just like I predicted last week against Wakey, as we should never change a winning prediction in sport.  (But I'll be watching it from behind the sofa)

• Haha 1

'The Invisble Man is at the door'.     'Tell him I can't see him'.      The late, great Tommy Cooper

18 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

A group of us are going to this.

I can't say I expect much to go SRD's way but-

a. I (no joke) enjoy the cheese pies there

b. It's a dry good view in the away, which you can't say in most places.

c. Both sides usually embrace positive play.

d. And whatever happens its a place that always evoke a certain Diabolic magic evening on the 4th October 2019. 

Ah, the kid from Salford crying after Salford scored to wrap the game up....'great memories from a 'diabolic' evening indeed!

'The Invisble Man is at the door'.     'Tell him I can't see him'.      The late, great Tommy Cooper

I'm looking forward to a good game. Both teams can play some exciting rugby although Wigan haven't been as fluent this year. The weather report says a moderate breeze but the wind is pretty gusty so I wonder if we might see a bit of a duel between Harry Smith and Marc Sneyd to see who can cause the most chaos with towering kicks. If it's a tight game that would tip the balance in Salford's favour on goal kicks.

Ackers will be a big loss for Salford. When we played in pre-season he was a real handful but the threat disappeared when he went off. It may give an opportunity to Amir Bourouh to impress against his former club.

This is a game that Wigan should be winning if we've got Grand Final ambitions but Salford are a nightmare to play against and the less chance they seem to have the better they seem to play. Dupree and Sidlow seem to be pretty impressive in the pack whereas the Wigan front row has been largely unimpressive aside from Havard. Unenthusiastic is the word I've use to describe our front row in general this year and that's not what you want against Salford.

• Like 1

Looks like a near full strength Salford team, of the two teams Salford have been the more impressive this season, last week both not very impressive but Salford won only saw the highlights oc that, but Wigan  in the win v Hudds not very good.

Salford by the narrowest of margins.

Edited by Harry Stottle

Quality stuff again from Jon Wells... actually explaining how teams win games and not just throwing out clichés. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

A farewell to the Sarge, as he brings the match ball on. Nice.

Plus a tribute to Bryn Hargreaves and Brian Dunn.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Quality stuff again from Jon Wells... actually explaining how teams win games and not just throwing out clichés. 

He is comfortably our best 'pundit'

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

With the caveat that I am watching producer-selected shots on TV ... Salford's body language is terrible. They're just moving around like they're already beaten.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Looks like a near full strength Salford team, of the two teams Salford have been the more impressive this season, last week both not very impressive but Salford won only saw the highlights oc that, but Wigan  in the win v Hudds not very good.

Salford by the narrowest of margins.

Not the way Kendals started. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A farewell to the Sarge, as he brings the match ball on. Nice.

Plus a tribute to Bryn Hargreaves and Brian Dunn.

I've said it before, but somebody or some people at the club are right on top of the non-playing details, like Sarginson's appearance tonight, or visiting players who in a milestone match getting a bottle of Loch Lomond, or other well thought out touches, often small but telling.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, hullste said:

Is that not cheating by Wigan!!!

I assume you are referring to the period from 1895 to 2023?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, hullste said:

Is that not cheating by Wigan!!!

You'll have to narrow that down a bit.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris