Fri 24th Mar: SL: Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/03/23 at 20:30

Salford were beaten by the 2 Highest paid stars in Super League plus the Kendrew/Smith partnership.

Big raps to Tyler Dupree who I think had a 70 minute stint?   Sidlow also better than the Pie Props.

Rowleyball lives.  Great to watch.

Those of you not occupied next Sunday come down to see the lads v The Giants.

9 minutes ago, Segovia Carpet said:

Salford were beaten by the 2 Highest paid stars in Super League plus the Kendrew/Smith partnership.

Big raps to Tyler Dupree who I think had a 70 minute stint?   Sidlow also better than the Pie Props.

I would say both Williams and Tomkins are on more money than those 2 mate 

There's no doubt that Salford were the better team for most of that game, but I always felt like Wigan just weren't playing with cohesion rather than lacking any quality, so when the tide turned late on we had enough to pinch it.

French at fullback made us much more threatening and it's going to have to become plan A pretty soon as we can't afford to be ineffective for so much of a match. Field may not be quite as effective in the halves but the truth is he's not been as good so far this year anyway. French has always been the better player so if you want your best player in their best position then French would be fullback.

Cust was disappointing. He's been so ineffective in pretty much every game this year and you've got to wonder how long he keeps his place when we have other options. It's a shame because when we played Salford in pre-season he was probably the best player on the field and I thought he might be able to have a big year for us but he's been poor.

The front row still goes through matches without really doing anything particularly impressive. The Salford front row seemed the stronger of the but as far as forwards go I thought Farrell was quality, particularly towards the end of the game when his fitness levels make a huge difference. It's no coincidence we score tries following some really strong Farrell carries.

Salford would have been a different beast with Ackers in the side though and that will give them plenty of confidence if he's in the side the next time we play them. They were noticeably lacking quality at 9 though and it made it easier to close down the halves.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Segovia Carpet said:

Field and French wish they were on George Williams, Sam Tomkins or Mitchell Pearces money. 

3 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Croft's pass was what the Aussie commentators call a "Harbour Bridge pass". Would be nice if our commentators came up with something similarly thoughtful and relevant...

Runcorn ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Salford lost the game rather than Wigan win it, Wigan won the energy battle, Salford won the moral battle.

You can't knock Salford on that performance, better team for three quarters of that game.

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

36 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Runcorn ?

I was thinking of the Tyne Bridge, nationally more well known than the Runcorn one, but in truth we don't have loads of famous structures to choose from. 😀

It would be nice though if Sky hired commentators who were skilled wordsmiths endowed with rich vocabularies, rather than the usual suspects whose predictable dross we have to endure every game. 

Surely the IMG should have something to say about the generally miserable standard of the Sky commentary team and their pundits and how it impacts the image of the sport?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Croft's pass was what the Aussie commentators call a "Harbour Bridge pass". Would be nice if our commentators came up with something similarly thoughtful and relevant...

Parabolic curve y = a(x — 135) + 182.25 

10 hours ago, meast said:

Does he just decide to stop the game because he feels like it or is it the players not heeding his advice to stop messing about etc?

I'm not watching the game by the way so genuine question, it just annoys me that people think referees just make things up for their own amusement.

Surely if a ref is giving penalties and 6 agains, it means the players are transgressing?

Hi Meast sorry for the late reply, I think the simple way to answer your question is scan through these pages and look at the number of posts that are critical of Mr Kendall's officiating, and the majority of those are from people with no connection to either club.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Meast sorry for the late reply, I think the simple way to answer your question is scan through these pages and look at the number of posts that are critical of Mr Kendall's officiating, and the majority of those are from people with no connection to either club.

That does not mean they are right, as you well know.  "The views of a few don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world"

Edited by JohnM

10 hours ago, Damien said:

Pretty disappointing from Wigan. To beat Saints in particular is going to take a lot more than relying on French or Field to do something special. I'm not sure what is happening with Harry Smith but he's just not kicking on at all.

Can I offer a suggestion Damien re Harry Smith, last couple of years one of the best halves of the SL era was coaching at Wigan, Mr Briers is now plying his trade at Brisbane Broncos and look how they are playing.

9 hours ago, Damien said:

I do agree with French being wasted on the wing. As good as he was there last season for me he isn't really a winger. Easily his best spell at Wigan was when he played full back, when Field was injured at the start of his Wigan career and he was devastating there. So is Field obviously but I think its worth continuing to try Field in the halves and French at full back to get them both involved in the game more.

I’ve always been surprised that isn’t how they are utilised.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Can I offer a suggestion Damien re Harry Smith, last couple of years one of the best halves of the SL era was coaching at Wigan, Mr Briers is now plying his trade at Brisbane Broncos and look how they are playing.

Nah Smith was far from fulfilling his promise last year too when Briers was here. The Wigan backroom is settled too with guys like O'Loughlin and Leuluai who have long been the leaders off field. The team as a whole just isn't firing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

See what I mean about Kendall, what a complete knob.

Are you feeling any differently after sleeping on it or do you still feel this is an appropriate comment to make?

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I’ve always been surprised that isn’t how they are utilised.  

Yes, its what I'd have done but it didn't transpire that way for a few reasons.

When Field came back from his long injury French was also injured. This meant Field came in at full back, playing excellently in the process, and then French came back, after a long lay off too and a bit off match fitness, on the wing. A lack of centres and general shortage of backs was also faced which limited options.

As it turned out Cust then performed really well last year, Field was obviously great at full back and French did his thing roaming about on the wing and it became difficult to change this.

Had Salford won, then they'd have well and truly deserved it. They were, in my view, the better team...until something snapped in the Wigan (un)consciousness and they began to play as a team, united in common cause. And there lies the problem in my opinion.  I can't see or feel the commanding presence, the leadership, of a proper captain, directing and inspiring things on the field. 

As for the critics of the ref:  can the mods set up a forum specifically for these perpetual malcontents, please?

22 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Had Salford won, then they'd have well and truly deserved it. They were, in my view, the better team...until something snapped in the Wigan (un)consciousness and they began to play as a team, united in common cause. And there lies the problem in my opinion.  I can't see or feel the commanding presence, the leadership, of a proper captain, directing and inspiring things on the field. 

As for the critics of the ref:  can the mods set up a forum specifically for these perpetual malcontents, please?

The bit in bold is exactly what was being said in the pub post match analysis, just about everybody who had been to the game I spoke to or heard discussing the game was saying it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Are you feeling any differently after sleeping on it or do you still feel this is an appropriate comment to make?

The sentiments are still there Dunny, I do think he Mr Kendall is just to pedantic and gives the impression he wants to be the centre of attention, what is it that is said "Good Refs are not Noticed" Mr Kendall most certainly is, but yes you are correct it should not have been said but in my humble defence it was remarked under the "affluence of incohol"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

RL fans are the biggest moaners and ref bashers going, most of them (with respect) don't know the laws, they don't know how to interpret them, and just see what they want to see, I tend to go with the thought that a professional knows their job better than I do, but not RL fans it seems.

There's a narrative at the moment, and has been for a few years that referee's are ruining the game, the sport, anything that's wrong with the game is down to referees, people who don't make the effort to go to games and do their bit to boost the sport blame the referees.

So forgive me for not using a RL fans forum as a barometer of a refereeing performance, as I said, I haven't seen the game, but I'm 99% certain that most of the ref's calls were spot on and it's the players and fans that have got it wrong.

And thanks for the reply 🙂 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Disingenuous to say the least. Just because we weren't playing, say, St Helens last night, does that mean their fans don't really care who won?

And when the team you want to lose is doing well, suddenly the referee becomes a lot more subjectively visible, as you cast around for reasons why you're not getting the result you want.

• Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson