Pretty much every week the OurLeague app has got intercept tries included in the Try of the Week. Invariably they involve someone catching a loose pass and running fast in a straight line. I'd much rather see a really great passing move or a spectacular dive in the corner. Anyone else think intercept tries get more credit then they deserve?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Depends. If they’ve still got players to beat, yeah, they’re impressive. If it’s open space and they’re just running with no one anywhere near them, they’re not as good but still reasonably impressive to see someone hit full speed. 

• Like 4

I think there's an assumption that a try from distance is always spectacular when they can often be fairly boring. Dropped ball then a speedster goes 80 metres uncontested isn't any better than a well constructed crash ball try from two yards out.

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

13 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I think there's an assumption that a try from distance is always spectacular when they can often be fairly boring. Dropped ball then a speedster goes 80 metres uncontested isn't any better than a well constructed crash ball try from two yards out.

Agreed

Depends like someone said above. Tipping the ball up in the air off a pass and been able to catch it can be a very hard skill like a change of direction at the right point when someone is chasing you but just catching and running really isn't worthy of try of the week mentions.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Your making the mistake of rating a try when an intercept will if from distance have the teams fans cheering the full sprint. So generally they have a bigger impact and in a lot of cases are against the run of play 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Pretty much every week the OurLeague app has got intercept tries included in the Try of the Week. Invariably they involve someone catching a loose pass and running fast in a straight line. I'd much rather see a really great passing move or a spectacular dive in the corner. Anyone else think intercept tries get more credit then they deserve?

I really like them if I'm honest 

I think they are the ones when you are in the crowd they mean more.

A team is plodding through a set and your team is defending then BOOM!!!....your outside back is off to the other end for an unexpected try 

Then you hear yourself screaming and you start ripping your shirt off and swinging it around your head.......or.is that just me?

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Not sure I've ever seen my team do it and found it boring!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Sometimes with an intercept it’s a great read by the defender. I’m thinking the sort Lee Briers used to be brilliant at. 

This is the key for me.  If it is a loose pass by an attacker then perhaps not as good but if it is a quality read by the defender to take the intercept then that is a skill in the game in its own right. 

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Has anyone ever seen someone try and pass it in their own ingoal and it gets intercepted and the player just plonks it down for a try 

Not in his own ingoal but the great Billy Slater in the World Cup Final wasnt far from his own ingoal. He has never had to buy his own drink in NZ since.

• Like 1

I wasn't a fan of the one Widnes gave away against London. Liam Finn to Keiran Dixon. Watching the fastest man on the pitch scoring, to rubber stamp our relegation wasn't enthralling. 😁

I've forgiven Dixon..

the look on the face of the player who throws the  pass that gets intercepted is always interesting - it as if you can read their mind saying something like "oh boll erks"

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

55 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Has anyone ever seen someone try and pass it in their own ingoal and it gets intercepted and the player just plonks it down for a try 

Marcus Bai, 2005 Cup Final. Intercepted by Richard Whiting.

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I really like them if I'm honest 

A team is plodding through a set and your team is defending then BOOM!!!....your outside back is off to the other end for an unexpected try 

Depends which team scores.

My team is plodding through a set and the other team defending then BOOM!!!...their outside back is off to the other end for an unexpected try with their fans cheering the whole run.

Not so good then!!😬😜

16 minutes ago, north yorks trinity said:

Depends which team scores.

My team is plodding through a set and the other team defending then BOOM!!!...their outside back is off to the other end for an unexpected try with their fans cheering the whole run.

Not so good then!!😬😜

Yep.....still gets the emotions up though ! 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Am I imagining things or did this not happen in a challenge cup final involving Hull?

1 hour 24 minutes and 30 seconds of this video :

• Thanks 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 23/03/2023 at 15:28, OriginalMrC said:

No. 

Edited by JohnM