Will Pryce or Jack Welsby

I think these are 2 of the most exciting backs we’ve had coming through in a long time. 
Now Tomkins has announced his retirement plans who would you pick as England FB?
I think Welsby is probably a bit better with his distribution and Pryce the more dangerous runner.

Both will create problems for the opposition but who would you prefer?

• Like 1

Right now, I don’t see how you’d pick Pryce over Welsby, personally. Pryce is undoubtedly a talent but I think he’s still raw in places, as is Welsby, but given Welsby has played in three Grand Finals, a Cup Final, for England and in a World Club Challenge in Australia, I think you’ve got to plump for him. 

Long term it gets interesting for the fullback spot for England. Australian press suggest Farnworth is leaving the Broncos to play at fullback, it remains to be seen how Pryce fits into the Newcastle Knights set-up and whether Welsby remains at fullback at Saints or whether he takes over from Lomax in the halves, if he remains at Saints altogether.  

• Like 1

Welsby wins on all parameters other than posture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

I am very much hoping that Newcastle are looking for Pryce to develop as a 6 as I think that suits his game better.  especially if he has a game manegement and good kicking half back partner.

Regarding England, Welsby at 1, Pryce at 6 (if he continues to develop) and Farnworth continuing in the centre for me.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am very much hoping that Newcastle are looking for Pryce to develop as a 6 as I think that suits his game better.  especially if he has a game manegement and good kicking half back partner.

Regarding England, Welsby at 1, Pryce at 6 (if he continues to develop) and Farnworth continuing in the centre for me.

Think I might go for Pryce at 1 and Welsby at 6

Welsby's the obvious choice right now, but I think we'll all be interested in seeing how Price progresses over the next year or two. Although I'm not sure Newcastle's the ideal destination for him, he'll get plenty of opportunities to show his defensive abilities.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Think I might go for Pryce at 1 and Welsby at 6

So you are dumping George Williams who is only 28 and proven at international level and in the NRL as well as playing consistently at a high level. 

Just now, ELBOWSEYE said:

So you are dumping George Williams who is only 28 and proven at international level and in the NRL as well as playing consistently at a high level. 

Good point. Williams definitely plays but he could play 7

Just now, JM2010 said:

Good point. Williams definitely plays but he could play 7

Definitely not a 7, he thrives with an organising 7 which leaves him free to have a bigger impact. 

10 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I thought he played 7 in the WC

He wore the shirt, but he is (in my opinion) an out an out 6, at Warrington he is more effective with Drinkwater at 7.

Both in the squad, both can trouble teams, one is involved almost too often and the other not enough, but a backline including those two Farnworth and Dom young would be a great start.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

51 minutes ago, Damien said:

At this moment in time I definitely have Welsby at full back. Indeed he should have been at the World Cup.

Fully agree, a big mistake by Wane to play him out of position to fit in Tomkins. He`s one of the best full backs in the game at a very young age and will only get better. 

6 minutes ago, dkw said:

Fully agree, a big mistake by Wane to play him out of position to fit in Tomkins. He`s one of the best full backs in the game at a very young age and will only get better. 

What other halves were fit at the end of the last season? Lomax and Dodd weren’t fit and I can’t remember who else would have been in with a chance at the end of 2022. 

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

What other halves were fit at the end of the last season? Lomax and Dodd weren’t fit and I can’t remember who else would have been in with a chance at the end of 2022. 

Sam Tomkins.

No preference for me, it's still over 2 years to the next WC.

Important thing is England look like they will have options.

Hoping for a young looking team v France next month with a focus on who will be in the frame come 2025.

54 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Sneyd coyld have played with Williams and Welsby in his best position but Wane painted himself into a corner by picking Tomkins as captain. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

I don’t think international sides should be shoehorning players into their sides in positions they’re not regularly playing in and Tomkins in the halves would have been just that, IMO. 

Same as Welsby. 

In fairness I was being a bit facetious, shifting Welsby from full back to fit tomkins in annoyed me at the time.

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

I don’t think international sides should be shoehorning players into their sides in positions they’re not regularly playing in and Tomkins in the halves would have been just that, IMO. 

The Kangaroos do it a lot, usually with three or four FBs in their starting line-up. I know they have a far larger talent pool of FBs to draw upon, but that also goes for world-class Wingers/Centres, who often lose out in selection to a FB playing out of position. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson