Oldham

Blind side johnny

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Oldham's ptb's were quicker than ours because they knew how to land on their front and get up quickly. When we were tackled they held us down until they were set, which he didn't penalise except for a couple of "6 agains" (one at the first tackle). We should have slowed their ptb's down but didn't know how.

Some players who would have got 9/10 last week may have been 7/10 this week - they are human, not robots. I don't agree with naming players on public forums except when praising them, but realise that is simply my choice.

37 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Believe it or not this is the second occasion I have to agree with BSJ’s assessment. Twenty four hours later and having reflected the most pleasing thing for me is IMHO we played at around 75% and Oldham still failed to put us away.

Pah!

Not my day then, missing the match and not getting the details either . 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Just seen highlights.  Some interesting penalty decisions all round.  I will never know why we got our  first penalty when we took the two  and the penalty for the push on Rydyard at the start of the second half was a joke. Also absolutely no  idea why Sykes had to go to the bin.   Def not a head high tackle.  Just flattened the man with the ball.  
As for that last minute penalty it’s v hard to see what we did wrong.  
On a positive note the pass from Owen for our last try was awesome and the team spirit you can see after that score is priceless.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NickD said:

Just seen highlights.  Some interesting penalty decisions all round.  I will never know why we got our  first penalty when we took the two  and the penalty for the push on Rydyard at the start of the second half was a joke. Also absolutely no  idea why Sykes had to go to the bin.   Def not a head high tackle.  Just flattened the man with the ball.  
As for that last minute penalty it’s v hard to see what we did wrong.  
On a positive note the pass from Owen for our last try was awesome and the team spirit you can see after that score is priceless.  

I thought Oldham were the better side yesterday and we were lucky to take a point. That said the last minute decision looks really harsh. I’m guessing but has the ref penalised Restall for tackling the Oldham man in the air? It looked as though he was challenging for the ball to me.

Looking at the highlights Butterworth was not penalised for stripping the ball which is what I thought it was for at the time.

Edited by Rambo
  • Like 1
rambo.gif

11 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Only seen the highlights but good to see Greg McNally whingeing and whining at the ref. Never changes.

Watching the highlights I think McNally disputed every try we scored,but like you say somethings never change.

9 hours ago, Rambo said:

I thought Oldham were the better side yesterday and we were lucky to take a point. That said the last minute decision looks really harsh. I’m guessing but has the ref penalised Restall for tackling the Oldham man in the air? It looked as though he was challenging for the ball to me.

Looking at the highlights Butterworth was not penalised for stripping the ball which is what I thought it was for at the time.

With the signal the referee gave he’s penalised us for tackling the Oldham man in the air. Anyway we got away with one there and came away with a point,just shows what a great team spirit we’ve got this season under Liam.

We now move on to London at home this weekend then a week off before our long trip to Cornwall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graham fisher said:

Watching the highlights I think McNally disputed every try we scored,but like you say somethings never change.

Damn right.  we were behind the sticks when Jimmy scored his try.  McNally nearly had a meltdown...Apparently Jimmy had put it down on the "wrong" line.  Priceless listening in....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, graham fisher said:

With the signal the referee gave he’s penalised us for tackling the Oldham man in the air. Anyway we got away with one there and came away with a point,just shows what a great team spirit we’ve got this season under Liam.

We now move on to London at home this weekend then a week off before our long trip to Cornwall.

Looking at the video Rest all went for the ball then made contact with the Oldham player who caught the ball in the air so fair call.

• Thanks 1

On 23/05/2023 at 15:41, Wakefield Ram said:

Looking at the video Rest all went for the ball then made contact with the Oldham player who caught the ball in the air so fair call.

Should never have contested the kick, simply let the Oldham man take the ball and tackle, they needed a try or penalty to get points, executing 3 tackles and then the hooter would have won us the game 🤔

• Like 1

16 hours ago, coolie said:

Should never have contested the kick, simply let the Oldham man take the ball and tackle, they needed a try or penalty to get points, executing 3 tackles and then the hooter would have won us the game 🤔

Yes, that is the tactic used most often in SL - don't contest but tackle the man immediately that his feet hit the floor. Control the ptb (no penalties!) then defend as normal. Mind you the Oldham towering bombs would still have undoubtedly come into play.

All over now, until the next time.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Win and you lose some. One the match photos clearly shows a Rams player being tackled in the air with both feet off the ground. This was from an attacking kick on the last tackle five metres out from the Oldham try line. Touch judge in the photo frame. No penalty given. Handover to Oldham. But hey ho!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Win and you lose some. One the match photos clearly shows a Rams player being tackled in the air with both feet off the ground. This was from an attacking kick on the last tackle five metres out from the Oldham try line. Touch judge in the photo frame. No penalty given. Handover to Oldham. But hey ho!

Ref was from Oldham apparently 

Regular fixture at their games

The rule on home based referee's refereeing home based games should be brought back. 🤔

1 hour ago, coolie said:

Ref was from Oldham apparently 

Regular fixture at their games

The rule on home based referee's refereeing home based games should be brought back. 🤔

Matthew rossleigh from that well known Oldham borough of Australia, currently living just south of Oldham in a little known hamlet of London!!! 🤔🤔

• Haha 5

Right honestly going to provide a transparent post. Love that word ‘Transparent’. Oldham deserved at least a point on the day and this is from a Dewsbury fan. As far as I can concur the ref is an Aussie based in London. I do not subscribe to the fact that he is in any way associated with Oldham. However lastly I honestly feel he sought out that crucial penalty in the last seconds. Restall and Paga were involved in a clean contest. Rossleigh only got involved when Butterworth effected a legal one on one strip against Paga. As if Rossleigh felt that a draw was a fair result. Not his job to feel that way. His job is to Police the game unbiased and according to the rules.

• Like 2

On 26/05/2023 at 15:11, SUPERSTUD said:

Nobody has mentioned the knock-on by Oldham at the ptb just before they scored one of their tries in the first half. The referee couldn't see it from his position but the touch judge could.

Hey ho, as you say.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Nobody has mentioned the knock-on by Oldham at the ptb just before they scored one of their tries in the first half. The referee couldn't see it from his position but the touch judge could.

Hey ho, as you say.

And nor as anyone mentioned , what appears to be, the blatant obstruction that led to the final try. But hey ho as they say! 😉

4 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

And nor as anyone mentioned , what appears to be, the blatant obstruction that led to the final try. But hey ho as they say! 😉

Do you mean the one where Oldham player threw himself on the floor knowing he'd have no way of getting to the player. But hey ho as they say 😉

Edited by graham fisher
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, graham fisher said:

Do you mean the one where Oldham player threw himself on the floor knowing he'd have no way of getting to the player. But hey ho as they say 😉

Def obstruction...Just ask McNally 😝🤣

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, graham fisher said:

McNally must have spoken to the referee more in 80 than he does the whole week to his missus 😂

Jeeze and we thought Paul Sykes could chelp😂

Paul Sykes seems a lot more restrained in talking to the ref. Maybe it's because we're winning.

• Haha 3

On 26/05/2023 at 18:12, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Matthew rossleigh from that well known Oldham borough of Australia, currently living just south of Oldham in a little known hamlet of London!!! 🤔🤔

Well that was according to the Oldham Oracle sat behind me, spouting a load of so called facts about the referee, this is what you get when you rely on the local indigenous population for your information 🤔

13 minutes ago, coolie said:

Well that was according to the Oldham Oracle sat behind me, spouting a load of so called facts about the referee, this is what you get when you rely on the local indigenous population for your information 🤔

You do know that there were a group of Leigh supporters who came over taking advantage of the freebies? Probably them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1