Hunslet ARLFC v Batley Bulldogs

RogerT

April the 2nd, I refer to my first post as to where it's posted, it took some finding.

Edited by RogerT
  • Like 1

Taking games away from amateur clubs prompts 2 questions for me;

1 why would an amateur club want to enter and progress in a competition when they know that the further they go in that competition they're going to be penalised for their success and

2 why does the RFL bother in creating the opportunity for amateur clubs when they know they're going to penalise them as stated above?

It's maybe only 3 seasons since they allowed Siddal to hold a Challenge Cup game on their ground but now a club with similar facilities is forced to give up home advantage. What is their criteria for moving games? The statement of 'not appropriate for hosting a Championship club' pales when faced with some of the grounds on which Championship or Division 1 rugby is played now! If it's about money and a shared gate then how much are Hunslet amateurs REALLY going to be better of by moving the tie? Any of their fans who would attend will still come to The Mount, especially for a 10er and so there maybe a couple of hundred more Dogs than would go to the amateurs' ground. Maybe it's a factor of being able to take gate money, maybe not having the ability to house people other than at ground level but all those things can be overcome with planning and cooperation. I just think it's a shame that amateurs don't get the benefits of their success.

4 hours ago, phildog said:

Taking games away from amateur clubs prompts 2 questions for me;

1 why would an amateur club want to enter and progress in a competition when they know that the further they go in that competition they're going to be penalised for their success and

2 why does the RFL bother in creating the opportunity for amateur clubs when they know they're going to penalise them as stated above?

It's maybe only 3 seasons since they allowed Siddal to hold a Challenge Cup game on their ground but now a club with similar facilities is forced to give up home advantage. What is their criteria for moving games? The statement of 'not appropriate for hosting a Championship club' pales when faced with some of the grounds on which Championship or Division 1 rugby is played now! If it's about money and a shared gate then how much are Hunslet amateurs REALLY going to be better of by moving the tie? Any of their fans who would attend will still come to The Mount, especially for a 10er and so there maybe a couple of hundred more Dogs than would go to the amateurs' ground. Maybe it's a factor of being able to take gate money, maybe not having the ability to house people other than at ground level but all those things can be overcome with planning and cooperation. I just think it's a shame that amateurs don't get the benefits of their success.

Where does it say that the game has been taken away from Hunslet ARLFC?

How do you know the two clubs haven't agreed to move the venue (to their mutual benefit)?

Sorry to go all BSJ on you all, but as the Sage of the South Stand doesn't seem to spend as much time on here as of yore, somebody has to ask the pedantic questions...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

The RFL deemed their ground was not suitable to stage the game. Also that South Leeds stadium was not available ( I think). Read it somewhere. Sorry can't remember where( it's an age thing ) 

• Thanks 1

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

We played at Plough Lane where flats are tight up behind all 4 sides, nobody says Wimbledon or Broncos can't play because of balls hitting their windows!

1 hour ago, phildog said:

We played at Plough Lane where flats are tight up behind all 4 sides, nobody says Wimbledon or Broncos can't play because of balls hitting their windows!

🤡 Bit of a difference,a ball hitting a moving car potentially causing the driver to swerve in shock and hit another vehicle therefore causing a serious accident and possibly a fatality,to a ball hitting a stationary window.

don't you think? 🙄🙄🙄

• Like 2

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

44 minutes ago, RogerT said:

What's the difference between playing there and an amateur team, both kicking for touch.

Maybe the RFL could be somehow liable in case of an accident if they allowed a professional club to play under those circumstances.Just a thought although I don't actually know.

I remember playing cricket at Outlane many (many!) years ago and being surprised at just how close the M62 was to the playing area. One of their players said someone from the MCC had visited and said no amateur cricket player would reach the M62 from the strip but he said in fact it wasn't that rare an occurrence. To me that sounds even more worrying than a rugby ball!

12 hours ago, phildog said:

Time Josh Milthorpe had a run out, we're going to need him and good youngsters next season and he'll not hang about here forever.

Josh told me he d been working away recently and hadn't been able to train, so could'nt play.

Edited by Bat Lad

Told me the same thing but before Wath Brow game, he's been named in 2 matchday squads since then. So, is he fit and able or are we so down on players that we just put 3 names down after the required 18 just to fill the form out?

Hope Linners gives the fringes a good crack at this, not sure we'll see the Wath Brow runaway though, a more conservative 48-12 and an eye kept on any promising talent in their ranks.

For the record before The RFL became involved Batley offered Hunslet  ARLFC £1000 to switch the tie provided they did not hire a coach and traveled in cars.They refused and that is when the RFL got involved.Batley gave several reasons why they did not think The Ovel was a suitable venue including the dugouts were to small,the run offs behind the dead ball areas failed minimum standards people could look through the fence all of which the Hunslet club addressed.When it came to the issue with the road it was pointed out taken ten metres was the same for both sides the RFL came down in favour of Batley.

• Thanks 1