Is it Warrington's year?

9 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

On a serious note.....

How good would it be if they did win it 

Break the monopoly, make a big successful club even stronger. Maybe encourage other investors like Moran that investing in the sport can work etc 

Agreed. Even as a Saints fan, albeit not a hardcore one, I’d rather see someone new win it this year I think, the comp needs livening up. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I don't get why people seem so surprised. Powell is a brilliant coach and it was funny watching people call for his head last season even though most people could see Wire needed a complete change and that is what he was doing.

Powells game plans always rely on ruck domination. This season he has the pack to ensure the halves get space

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I don't get why people seem so surprised. Powell is a brilliant coach and it was funny watching people call for his head last season even though most people could see Wire needed a complete change and that is what he was doing.

The problem for Powell is because he completely wiped out last season he really has to win the title this year. Finishing second or third isn’t good enough as they were doing that before he came in. 

15 hours ago, bobbruce said:

The problem for Powell is because he completely wiped out last season he really has to win the title this year. Finishing second or third isn’t good enough as they were doing that before he came in. 

I doubt it but give it another season and I would be surprised if they wern't there abouts.

On 24/03/2023 at 20:49, Old Frightful said:

Seems nobody's laughing any more.

Currently 5 from 5 and 0-24 up at Cas at arf tarm.

Just wait until the wheels fall off this Saturday...

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

Just wait until the wheels fall off this Saturday...

You gotta larf!

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Even if Wire finish top of the league (which is still a big IF) given were barely 1/5th the way through the league games, it still only guarantees then the hubcap. It doesn't even guarantee them a place in the GF let alone the actual trophy. Its nice for the fans to finish top, and for the clubs bean counters getting the £100K cheque, but the coaches and players all know that being the best team in March counts for next to nothing. Under the play-off system you need to do enough to get into the play-off's, build momentum in the month before the play-off's start, and then peak for the 3 week period of the play-off's.

Edited by Saint Toppy

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

12 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Even if Wire finish top of the league (which is still a big IF) given were barely 1/5th the way through the league games, it still only guarantees then the hubcap. It doesn't even guarantee them a place in the GF let alone the actual trophy. Its nice for the fans to finish top, and for the clubs bean counters getting the £100K cheque, but the coaches and players all know that being the best team in March counts for next to nothing. Under the play-off system you need to do enough to get into the play-off's, build momentum in the month before the play-off's start, and then peak for the 3 week period of the play-off's.

Nervous? 

• Haha 1

Sad Thomas Mikale is returning to Australia after the Hull game, this season he looked to be finding his feet putting in consistent performance. Although we have strength in depth in the pack je will be missed. Looks like Gold Coast Titans are signing him but have to pay a fee. 

12 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Nervous? 

Of What - Wire 🤣 A club with a long, long history of falling short when it comes to league titles, and a coach who's record isn't much better.

Joking aside, being top of the league in March counts for nothing other than it gives you points on the board towards securing a play-off spot come the business end of the year. There's no doubt that Wire are probably the form team right now, but there's over half a year between now & the GF and a lot can change (form, injuries, suspensions etc.).

Even by the end of April there could be a massive change in their position. I doubt they'll have many issues overcoming Hull this week, but then they face Catalans away, Wigan at Home & Saints away in consecutive weeks. They may win all 3 and still be sitting pretty at the top of the league come the end of April, but its just as likely they could lose all 3 and find themselves down in 5 / 6th position in a months time. 

If Wire are to be genuine title contenders then they need to be in the top 2 come September and still be playing well.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

23 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

If Wire are to be genuine title contenders then they need to be in the top 2 come September and still be playing well.

Good to have this insight, cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Of What - Wire 🤣 A club with a long, long history of falling short when it comes to league titles, and a coach who's record isn't much better.

Joking aside, being top of the league in March counts for nothing other than it gives you points on the board towards securing a play-off spot come the business end of the year. There's no doubt that Wire are probably the form team right now, but there's over half a year between now & the GF and a lot can change (form, injuries, suspensions etc.).

Even by the end of April there could be a massive change in their position. I doubt they'll have many issues overcoming Hull this week, but then they face Catalans away, Wigan at Home & Saints away in consecutive weeks. They may win all 3 and still be sitting pretty at the top of the league come the end of April, but its just as likely they could lose all 3 and find themselves down in 5 / 6th position in a months time. 

2 really needlessly longwinded posts deconstructing an entire season of sport?

you're nervous.

• Haha 1

On 25/03/2023 at 19:58, HawkMan said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Wire won every regular season game and then fail to even get to the GF.

Saints 2018 like ?

This season has Cas' 2017 vibes and for Powell's sake I hope they go on with the job this time. The game needs a fresh winner so badly.