Corey Hall to Hull KR Dagger going the other way

Looks like a really good result for Rovers this, another sign of the progress we're making. Talented young players want to come here. Possibly answers the "will SKD play on in 2024?" question too. Looks like Skids' got a job to coach/develop Hall this season, ready to step up into his role next year. This is the sort of long-term planning we've not been able to do for years. 

Think this is a good move for Dagger too. He deserves a proper shot at a long-term, first choice Super League spot. The opportunity has never really presented itself at Rovers, but he's a committed pro who's never really let us down when called on.

Have to say looks like a loss to Wakey though, be interested to hear what fans on here think?

• Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Wakefield fans don't seem best pleased by this but they are getting a decent player in Will Dagger.

For Rovers this is a great piece of business, Corey Hall is just 20 years old and is seen as a possible future international player. He's joining on a long term deal and may well be a replacement in 2024 for Kenny-Dowall should the skipper decide he's had enough.

With Kenny-Dowall serving the last game of his suspension and injury doubts about Tom Opacic and Ryan Hall then Corey Hall may even get his debut against Leeds on Friday.

Hull KR definitely do better from that swap!

Never been convinced that Dagger is SL standard. Hall has got a lot of potential though, I'm surprised Wakey are letting him go, particularly given how much they were raving about him pre season

It's crazy to think that Wakey had 3 full backs in 2021 and now they're struggling having let 2 of them leave. 

33 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Wakefield fans don't seem best pleased by this but they are getting a decent player in Will Dagger.

For Rovers this is a great piece of business, Corey Hall is just 20 years old and is seen as a possible future international player.

With Kenny-Dowall serving the last game of his suspension and injury doubts about Tom Opacic and Ryan Hall then Corey Hall may get his debut against Leeds on Friday.

Not by the genial Richard Agar who happily released him from Leeds.

10 minutes ago, Szymala said:

Quite. I'll take Willy Peters' opinion, backed by SKD and Maguire no doubt, over that bloke's assessment every day of the week and twice on Sundays!

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

22 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Looks at Wakeys twitter,  this deal seem to have gone down really well!

Judging by that Wakefield fans are more upset with it than Rovers fans seem to be which is a decent reading that Rovers are getting a good player and I did like the "final dagger in the coffin" joke 👏. Wakefield fans are seeing it as the club waving the white flag and accepting that they are going to go down.

• Like 1

Defensively Hall’s been lacking this year but, as others have said, he’s only 20 and he was great last year, also putting in good shifts at back row when needed. 

We’ve lost a lad with massive potential for a short-term fix. I guess drastic times call for drastic measures and the aim is to stay up…but it still feels a bit rough. Saying that, Dagger’s still only 24 himself - hopefully he’s got a point to prove and he does well. 

28 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

Saying that, Dagger’s still only 24 himself - hopefully he’s got a point to prove and he does well. 

Dagger has had a point to prove since he showed Wakefield the finger and joined Wire at the start of his career.  Still waiting.

Admittedly Hall has been a bit off form this year but he's still head and shoulders above this journeyman.

Haven't seen any official comment yet from Trinity.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

58 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

Defensively Hall’s been lacking this year but, as others have said, he’s only 20 and he was great last year, also putting in good shifts at back row when needed. 

We’ve lost a lad with massive potential for a short-term fix. I guess drastic times call for drastic measures and the aim is to stay up…but it still feels a bit rough. Saying that, Dagger’s still only 24 himself - hopefully he’s got a point to prove and he does well. 

Dagger's never let us down when called on, is just not a "half back" type of full back which was always our #1 preference. I think he'll do a solid job for Wakey, and it's good he's going to get a first team spot he's earned it, a good club man. 

This deal has all the Hallmarks of our Messiah... Remember Wakey swapped hooker's .McShane went to Cas and they sent us Scott Moore

Hall has a great future in the game.... Dagger if he was any good would have proved it by now. Also as wollo states above, Dagger was a trinity product but he thought he was better than the club, he must be desperate to agree to this.

Just now, Agbrigg said:

This deal has all the Hallmarks of our Messiah... Remember Wakey swapped hooker's .McShane went to Cas and they sent us Scott Moore

Hall has a great future in the game.... Dagger if he was any good would have proved it by now. Also as wollo states above, Dagger was a trinity product but he thought he was better than the club, he must be desperate to agree to this.

There's no question this deal favours Rovers, on paper at least.

That said, if you've a desperate need for a full back to try and get the squad balance right this season, and that's the difference between staying up or not, then who cares about next season or beyond? That's the task at hand. I always like John Maynard Keynes quote, who when told with great certainty by a conservative economist that free markets always organise things better in the long run than government could... "in the long run, sir, we're all dead...!!". 

It's all about this season for Wakey. 

Any fan of a champ club will tell you how much it hurts to see promising young players leave. Wakefield are doing what they can to stay in super league. Yes, it will hurt in the short term but trust me when I say being relegated will hurt far more (and Corey would immediately leave in this scenario anyway).

13 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

There's no question this deal favours Rovers, on paper at least.

That said, if you've a desperate need for a full back to try and get the squad balance right this season, and that's the difference between staying up or not, then who cares about next season or beyond? That's the task at hand. I always like John Maynard Keynes quote, who when told with great certainty by a conservative economist that free markets always organise things better in the long run than government could... "in the long run, sir, we're all dead...!!". 

It's all about this season for Wakey. 

Your argument doesn't apply in my opion. I would counter it by saying swapping a player for someone not as good will not improve your team. 

You may rate dagger, I think he's Gash.

I forgot to add, when Max J recovers from injury, Dagger will also be second choice at Wakey in my opinion.

Edited by Agbrigg

3 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Your argument doesn't apply in my opion. I would counter it by saying swapping a player for someone not as good will not improve your team. 

I forgot to add, when Max J recovers from injury, Dagger will also be second choice at Wakey in my opinion.

Fair enough, you know your squad better than me. I've sat near the bottom of the table enough times with a squad where you think you're staring down the barrel of a gun enough times, won't get any smugness from us lot. 

21 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Don't bet on that last bit.

On a positive note.  

Wakefield prioritising their house in the light of the recent IMG directive.

Social Media presence at the expense of developing home grown players.  

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

48 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

On a positive note.  

Wakefield prioritising their house in the light of the recent IMG directive.

Social Media presence at the expense of developing home grown players.  

Correct and in all fairness, IMG never mentioned if the SM presence needed to be positive

Just read he official club statement and I would like to ask the HKR fans if Dagger has got anything between his lug holes ?

He thinks its great he has a contract till the end of 2024, doesn't he realise he will be redundant before November

4 hours ago, Szymala said:

Hall left Leeds because his first team pathway was blocked and he’d get more opportunities at Trinity. Leeds did not want him to go