Sat 1st-Sun 2nd Apr: The Betfred Challenge Cup Fourth Round Match Thread

7 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

The joys of being a Widnes fan. We've had a start just about as tough as anyone in the championship. We currently lie fourth and two of our three defeats have been in the last couple of minutes. Yet we know that losing this one is well within our capabilities.

I'm counting on the fact that John Kear cares about the cup and probably cares about the 1895 cup too.

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Ā 

Ā 

We offered to put 25m high netting up along that perimeter fence - anything kicked higher than that would be nowhere near the road! We also have another pitch (to the left as you look at that aerial pic) which is used for training etc and could've got into a suitable state in time for the game but we weren't allowed to pursuit any of these options. In fairness to Batley it was nothing to do with 'a professional club not wanting to play there' - i'm sure they'd have been happy to. This was an RFL/Challenge cup decision. We probably have better facilities/players than some sides in League one, so it just smarts a little to be honest.Ā 

Last year, the Parkside half of the club played at the South Leeds Stadium.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

5 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Given the Cru's horrific injury situation I'd be happy to keep Keighley to a 50 point margin!

I'd agree, it wont be long before we'll be asking fans to take their boots!!

If anyones wondering what the Chronicler is talking about heres the list of players injured, suspended or not available for the Cup:

Injured

Alex Eckley - Shoulder - Long Term

Paul Nash - Broken foot - 6 Weeks

Jono Smith - Personal leave - Unknown return date

Dec Hulme - HIA protocol - Potential return v Workington (Rd 5)

Johnny Griffiths - Knee - Long term (potential season)

Brad Billsborough - Shoulder - Potential return v Rochdale (Rd 6)

Rob Massam - Hip - Potential return v Workington (Rd 5)

Jack Holmes - Shoulder - 2 or 3 weeks

Suspended

Dave Gibbons - Return v Midlands Hurricanes (Rd 7)

Dual Registration

The below dual reg players will be missing for the Challenge Cup game v Keighley-

Danny Moss

Mckenzie Buckley

Lewis Baxter

Josh Lynch

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Last year, the Parkside half of the club played at the South Leeds Stadium.

I know that - and the reason why we were always told at that pitch was because it wasnā€™t properly enclosed and therefore couldnā€™t be stewarded properly/safely for entry and exit. That wasnā€™t the issue this time. And if your suggestion was to play at South Leeds again Iā€™d point out a) it comes with a cost b) itā€™s still not a home game and c) not easy to organise on such short notice.Ā 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I know that - and the reason why we were always told at that pitch was because it wasnā€™t properly enclosed and therefore couldnā€™t be stewarded properly/safely for entry and exit. That wasnā€™t the issue this time. And if your suggestion was to play at South Leeds again Iā€™d point out a) it comes with a cost b) itā€™s still not a home game and c) not easy to organise on such short notice.Ā 

Hi. I watched the previous tie at Westgate. Good tough fair game. One of the Hunslet staff members told me that quite a lot of the players were booked on a trip to Benidorm for this forthcoming round.Ā 

1 hour ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Hi. I watched the previous tie at Westgate. Good tough fair game. One of the Hunslet staff members told me that quite a lot of the players were booked on a trip to Benidorm for this forthcoming round.Ā 

You think they should play in Benidorm?šŸ˜³

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

a. Noted

b. Of course not

c. If I recall correctly, there were only two weeks notice last year, as opposed to three this year.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Ā 

Ā 

We offered to put 25m high netting up along that perimeter fence - anything kicked higher than that would be nowhere near the road! We also have another pitch (to the left as you look at that aerial pic) which is used for training etc and could've got into a suitable state in time for the game but we weren't allowed to pursuit any of these options. In fairness to Batley it was nothing to do with 'a professional club not wanting to play there' - i'm sure they'd have been happy to. This was an RFL/Challenge cup decision. We probably have better facilities/players than some sides in League one, so it just smarts a little to be honest.Ā 

Should have offered to bring the pitch in 15 metres, Im sure the RFL would allow something like thatĀ šŸ¤£

• Haha 5

In regards to hunslet, itā€™s the team I follow closely within the NCL. I think itā€™s a poor decision to play at batley, but will be a great day out nonetheless.Ā 
hunslet are going to be 6/7 key players short from the holiday and an injury or 2. Ā Hopefully they put in a competitive performance. Though Iā€™m confident that at least half of that team could easily play in the championshipĀ 

On 31/03/2023 at 09:58, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yeah that is true - still plenty of lads to put out a decent side though šŸ‘šŸ¼

Nice one and thanks for the reply. All the very best to the Hunslet club on Sunday. I know you will all have a great day out and it is fully deserved.

• Thanks 1

On 30/03/2023 at 18:18, gogledd said:

If anyones wondering what the Chronicler is talking about heres the list of players injured, suspended or not available for the Cup:

Injured

Suspended

Dual Registration

The below dual reg players will be missing for the Challenge Cup game v Keighley-

Danny Moss

Mckenzie Buckley

Lewis Baxter

Josh Lynch

We were ####### anyway, but with this list we're double-triple #######Ā šŸ˜‚

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Injured

Suspended

Dual Registration

Danny Moss

Mckenzie Buckley

Lewis Baxter

Josh Lynch

Before I watch you,shortly.

Huge appreciation for your supporters club,last week,taking to social media to extend condolences following the sudden death of a wonderful man at Keighley Cougars.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

Ā  Ā  Ā No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 

2 hours ago, glemiln said:

Rochdale Mayfield 12 Ā Newcastle Thunder 22.

Congratulations toĀ Mayfield for winningĀ the second half 6ā€“0.

Ā 

Mayfield played some good stuff today and deserved more from the game but to nil Thunder in the second half was a massive effort

Ā 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

50 unanswered points in the secondĀ  half for London after going in to the break level. What on earth did they put in the oranges at HT!

No idea. We weren't full strength but 50 nil takes some explanaing. Hopefully no injuries and take it out on Cornwall next week. No disrespect to the Choughs but we need to see a response. Hopefully James, Burns, Knowles, Ferres, Robinson and Taulapapa will be back.

11 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

50 unanswered points in the secondĀ  half for London after going in to the break level. What on earth did they put in the oranges at HT!

The 2nd half would suggest to me that League 1 is quite weak, with the Don's being 3-0 and London a mid table Championship side.

London 66 - Doncaster 16 (half time 16-16)

At a bitterly cold and dilapidated Rossyn Park RFC, London sped into a 12-0 lead before an Alex Walker fumble gave field position to Donny who were good enough to take advantage. Then Following a period of possession near the Doncaster line. Donny scored a length of the field interception Try 12-10. London scored again before another London turnover giving Doncaster field position which they capitalised on for a 16-16 halftime score.

The second half saw the game basically done and dusted in the first 15 minutes when IIRC London scored on about 3 back to back posessions. There were a lot of line breaks, and this Broncos side has pace aplenty notably Illness Macani and Oli Leyland. a 50 - 0 second half scoreline underlining London's dominance after the interval. Doncaster frustration boiled over in a scuffle just before the final hooter sounded on the original game of two halves.

I noted London had an official photographer present if your not producing a programme or updating the website - Why ?

The crowd, I would estimate around 550

It would not be a London post without gripes so

• Why anounce thev Warrrington score when some in attendance like myself had taped the game for later viewing
  • No Team Sheets at all at the game
  • Plain Bugher with no onions SIX QUID !!!. This is Rugby League the Peoples Game not the Rich man's game...

Ā 

Ā 

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell
Ā 
image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or womenā€™s phone numbers but not both

Injured

Suspended

Dual Registration

Danny Moss

Mckenzie Buckley

Lewis Baxter

Josh Lynch

You had 3 players of very small physical stature.One of whom was full back, Owain Abel.

Highly impressed by him.Former Pilkington Recs,the magic screen informs me.

He has a whole range of skills,which he performed,mainly,when his teammates tired.He covered every blade of grass getting through a tremendous amount of work.

Surprised you haven't won a League 1 game,yet.

Well done to your small,vociferous group of travelling fans.

Good luck for the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ā  Ā  Ā No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 

The BBC feed's having the occasional audio issue, but it's working.Ā 

York 8:0 up after 8 minutes. Sheffield need to get into this game before it's too late.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson