Sat 1st-Sun 2nd Apr: The Betfred Challenge Cup Fourth Round Match Thread

19 hours ago, tim2 said:

It was contact to the head, from the blind side, with something around the elbow area. Not particularly late, maybe a fraction, and I think the intent was to hit Aston hard. Which is OK, but you'd better make sure you get it right. Kirmond didn't. As you say, this is the new normal, and in fact it may get stricter. 

I think what most fans, players and coaches want is consistency from the officials, ufortunately this doesn't appear to be the case. One week every shot above the shoulder is penalised, the following week players are getting wacked right left and centre. I don't doubt for one minute that the refs try to do their best and fairly but come on, you have two more sets of eyes out there to help so really there is no excuse.

20 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

I think what most fans, players and coaches want is consistency from the officials, ufortunately this doesn't appear to be the case. One week every shot above the shoulder is penalised, the following week players are getting wacked right left and centre. I don't doubt for one minute that the refs try to do their best and fairly but come on, you have two more sets of eyes out there to help so really there is no excuse.

I don't know whether the directives are clear or not as I'm not involved any more. Rugby Union has made it very clear, but not everyone is happy with their directives!

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

22 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

With Fev not having a game i went and thought Dewsbury totally outplayed Widnes.Sykes who has ditched his 40 number and is back in a number 6 one organised well and his long pass set up Dewsbury's first try.Butterworth the hooker was a real box of tricks and had a superb game.I also liked Greensmith in the left centre and number 8 forward Becket.with Turner at scrum half doing the out of hand kicking he also played well.Widnes probably thought they would win without too much effort and Dewsburys work rate and spirit overwhelmed them.I enjoyed the game it's a tidy little ground.

It would need to be 42 this season.    😉

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

He's older than my young un and he can't get off the couch after a weeks work.😄

From what I saw last season when we played against him the footballing brain is still there even if the pace is a bit lacking, I would think in League1 he will open up defences to let the younger legs do the running, plus I am sure he will be good at sharing his craft with upcoming players. Got to take your hat off to the bloke, who else do you know would want to expose themselves to the rigours of Rugby League at 42, Union it isn’t there is no where to hide in League.

Edited by Expatknight
Auto text error
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Tubby said:

I’m not entirely sure that’s germane to my point. Not all matches have a video ref and in my opinion, that means none should. Foul play missed by the on field officials may be picked up by this MRP.  This is no less incentive to avoid foul play.  I said nothing about attacks to the head going unpunished. In short, I’ve got ‘used to it’. 

What I'm saying you need to get used to, is the increasing use of sanctions for contact with the head. Which is subtly different.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

21 hours ago, Tubby said:

I don’t mean to sound flippant, but hard luck. Fans don’t, and shouldn’t, dictate how the game is refereed. 

Do you not see the irony in your post.

23 hours ago, Tubby said:

I’m not entirely sure that’s germane to my point. Not all matches have a video ref and in my opinion, that means none should. Foul play missed by the on field officials may be picked up by this MRP.  This is no less incentive to avoid foul play.  I said nothing about attacks to the head going unpunished. In short, I’ve got ‘used to it’. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Expatknight said:

From what I saw last season when we played against him the footballing brain is still there even if the pace is a bit lacking, I would think in League1 he will open up defences to let the younger legs do the running, plus I am sure he will be good at sharing his craft with upcoming players. Got to take your hat off to the bloke, who else do you know would want to expose themselves to the rigours of Rugby League at 42, Union it isn’t there is no where to hide in League.

500 games, 1000 goals and definitely not hiding as a couple of hits on Adam Lawton will testify. Still a beast on defence.

On 02/04/2023 at 17:45, sentoffagain2 said:

With Fev not having a game i went and thought Dewsbury totally outplayed Widnes.Sykes who has ditched his 40 number and is back in a number 6 one organised well and his long pass set up Dewsbury's first try.Butterworth the hooker was a real box of tricks and had a superb game.I also liked Greensmith in the left centre and number 8 forward Becket.with Turner at scrum half doing the out of hand kicking he also played well.Widnes probably thought they would win without too much effort and Dewsburys work rate and spirit overwhelmed them.I enjoyed the game it's a tidy little ground.

To be fair Widnes were missing quite a few esp half backs and although we are in League One, pretty much the whole squad has Championship experience and with home advantage and 6 wins on the trot this season I thought we would lose narrowly. Good job we rested Dale Ferguson. 

4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Weird the timing because it was pretty much the same week last season where everyone had wrote Fax off and people started talking about Bradford. The win seemed to change our season and ruined Bradford's and this season seems very similar.

Three big games for us. We play you twice I believe and Batley aswell. Both our bogey teams over recent years and rightly do. I'm an optimist most of the  time. We are a hell of a lot better than wevd played in recent years. Eevd been playing without our big three signings as you will in Thompson, Lawrence and Walker and with the exception of Keighley. Getting results and improving..... until next week lol.

• Like 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

To be fair Widnes were missing quite a few esp half backs and although we are in League One, pretty much the whole squad has Championship experience and with home advantage and 6 wins on the trot this season I thought we would lose narrowly. Good job we rested Dale Ferguson. 

Mate, you totally out played us. Good luck against London.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

12 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Three big games for us. We play you twice I believe and Batley aswell. Both our bogey teams over recent years and rightly do. I'm an optimist most of the  time. We are a hell of a lot better than wevd played in recent years. Eevd been playing without our big three signings as you will in Thompson, Lawrence and Walker and with the exception of Keighley. Getting results and improving..... until next week lol.

Certainly a mixed bag so far this season for both teams. Should be a good game and decent atmosphere.

19 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Scrappy first half for us, Midlands played well. Nice fans too. Turgot played. Happy with result obviously, here's to next Monday..... vs Fax.

I think I can speak for all of us that travelled up for the game. We had a really good time in Bradford. Fantastic welcome from the Bulls fans and the players too, at least in the first 39 minutes! Didn't expect to get sunburn in Bradford in April.

Good luck in the next round.

• Thanks 1

We've got 3 players at disciplinary meetings and facing bans this week, but the club says it  won't be appealing.

Sounds suspiciously like 3 x Leeds players to play against Fax on Monday.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

24 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

We've got 3 players at disciplinary meetings and facing bans this week, but the club says it  won't be appealing.

Fingers crossed, thought the last time you had a load from Leeds they did a great job. 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

They won't be banned for Monday, they would be banned for the week after.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jughead said:

Assume the Broncos v Dewsbury game will be at Rosslyn Park? Wimbledon are at home that Saturday, as they were on Saturday, and RP are away at some other Union team. 

Nothing official but very likely

If they win though and get a home draw vs SL team no idea where it will be.  PL will be shut for summer and Rosslyn Park / Ebbsfllet are not suitable for Playing a SL team.

I still wonder if DH was aware or just did not care when he was paying 200k a year for a ground he can't use between Mid may and early August, for 12 weeks in the middle of the season.

19 hours ago, Padge said:

Do you not see the irony in your post.

Fair point!  But I've no doubt you can see the point I'm making re: the provision of video referees, rather than specifically how a referee should act.

21 hours ago, Expatknight said:

Thats exactly what he did against us in our game against the Rams. Still an excellent player.

On 02/04/2023 at 18:18, Tubby said:

It wasn’t a criticism of the officials, merely an observation of my opinion on the ‘foul play’ after several replays. I can however see how you’d assume it was in this place…

In all honesty, I didn’t even notice the contact live, and had to replay several times to form an opinion, I also generally think we would be better allowing the on-field officials to make all decisions, without referral to a video ref and just accept that they can only give what they see. 

Three match ban, subject to any appeal.

Looks like the officials got it right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Three match ban, subject to any appeal.

Looks like the officials got it right.

And a Grade D which would indicate it was more than just a bit late. An excellent decision in real time by the officials. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LeeF said:

And a Grade D which would indicate it was more than just a bit late. An excellent decision in real time by the officials. 

"Late" is not mentioned in the online summary.