Fri 31st Mar: SL: Hull Kingston Rovers v Leeds Rhinos KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull Kingston Rovers
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/03/23 at 19:30

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I said it will either work brilliantly or Smith will be out by May, I don't think its working brilliantly.

Leeds commercial director left with more than 10 minutes to go tonight 

yep, beginning to think that way myself.

Its the sheer inconsistency that also doesn't help beside some of the personal.  Since the start of pre-season he has tinkered, with a plan it seems to have flexibility and cover for later in season as injuries come along.

In my opinion you don't get consistency playing players not in their normal positions nor not given players a run of games (e.g. sam walters) or given a run of games to a poor SL player (Olpherts, sorry about spelling).

He is reaping the harvest of inconsistency due to his own selection tactics in my opinion. Let alone having brought in some currently non SL.  Alright looking for a long season and aiming for play-offs but again the way its going they will not be close enough.

Gosh I know Tindall is developing but he is surely better that Olperts even with less experience.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Smith will not be out by May, doesn’t matter how many times you say it, Smith was signed for the long term, its his first full year.

I think he’s a good coach, the squad needs work he needs a couple of seasons eh. There’s good performances in the Leeds team already anyway, no panic needed 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Brian McDermott then?

The team is devoid of leadership and tactical nouse. 

yes, unfortunately without Myler they lose a lot of leadership.... I know hard to say but I'm sure Leeds would have dealt better with the high ball and defensive cohesion.  Occasionally Myler may drop a ball but he is overall good.

As the Hull KR player said...its the fullbacks job so no I don't feel sorry for him, its his job all be it difficult.

Plus lets face not unknown conditions in SL.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, redjonn said:

yep, beginning to think that way myself.

Its the sheer inconsistency that also doesn't help beside some of the personal.  Since the start of pre-season he has tinkered, with a plan it seems to have flexibility and cover for later in season as injuries come along.

In my opinion you don't get consistency playing players not in their normal positions nor not given players a run of games (e.g. sam walters) or given a run of games to a poor SL player (Olpherts, sorry about spelling).

He is reaping the harvest of inconsistency due to his own selection tactics in my opinion. Let alone having brought in some currently non SL.  Alright looking for a long season and aiming for play-offs but again the way its going they will not be close enough.

Gosh I know Tindall is developing but he is surely better that Olperts even with less experience.

We were bottom this time last year, I don’t think people realise how much of a bad shape our salary cap has been its been managed appallingly, Smith won’t fix that in one year

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I think he’s a good coach, the squad needs work he needs a couple of seasons eh. There’s good performances in the Leeds team already anyway, no panic needed 

Totally, the squad has been mismanaged for years at least Smith isn’t afraid to make bold decisions.

if Smith was sacked in May as Tommy suggests Id consider giving my ST up this year, my club has been plagued with short term thinking for far too long.

• Like 1

Jordan Abdull's kicking game got the points on the board but the Rovers pack made far more yards than Leeds in the first half. That was the real difference.

The conditions were awful which probably didn't suit the Leeds 'chance your arm' style but surely there was no excuse for twice sending goal line drop outs hopelessly misguided. That is purely and simply down to the coach it is he who tells them to do this.

Rovers defended well as indeed did Leeds but I thought Rovers were very deserving of the 2 points. Rovers are a decent team and well coached by Willie Peters. The penny hasn't dropped for a lot of people yet but it will.

5 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Jordan Abdull's kicking game got the points on the board but the Rovers pack made far more yards than Leeds in the first half. That was the real difference.

The conditions were awful which probably didn't suit the Leeds 'chance your arm' style but surely there was no excuse for twice sending goal line drop outs hopelessly misguided. That is purely and simply down to the coach it is he who tells them to do this.

Rovers defended well as indeed did Leeds but I thought Rovers were very deserving of the 2 points. Rovers are a decent team and well coached by Willie Peters. The penny hasn't dropped for a lot of people yet but it will.

Rovers look a quality outfit, there’s absolutely no shame in getting beat by them at Craven Park especially.

Im just watching a bit of the game back, the weather really doesn’t come across as bad as it was, and KR just managed it a lot better than us, Abdul must have been buzzing when our backline was announced.

As for forwards, watching it back we were a lot better in the second half with the wind at our backs but ultimately we made too many errors 

11 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Totally, the squad has been mismanaged for years at least Smith isn’t afraid to make bold decisions.

if Smith was sacked in May as Tommy suggests Id consider giving my ST up this year, my club has been plagued with short term thinking for far too long.

Maybe I'm missing something but I really don't understand this aura that Smith seems to have around him to sections of RL fans. His tactics and recruitment seem all over the place and its not even like he had a glowing coaching record prior to Leeds. He took over Bradford who'd just missed out in the MPG and didn't even make the qualifiers in 2016 then has spent the rest of his career in the queensland Cup. The GF run last year was a great turnaround, but even that didn't feel overly convincing and it seemed like one of those seasons where pretty much everyone was having a bad year. I can't help but feel if his last name wasn't Smith he'd be under a lot of pressure right now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Maybe I'm missing something but I really don't understand this aura that Smith seems to have around him to sections of RL fans. His tactics and recruitment seem all over the place and its not even like he had a glowing coaching record prior to Leeds. He took over Bradford who'd just missed out in the MPG and didn't even make the qualifiers in 2016 then has spent the rest of his career in the queensland Cup. The GF run last year was a great turnaround, but even that didn't feel overly convincing and it seemed like one of those seasons where pretty much everyone was having a bad year. I can't help but feel if his last name wasn't Smith he'd be under a lot of pressure right now. 

Aura? It seems most RL fans don’t rate him.

He was highly regarded in Australia and won the QLD cup with Norths.

I think you’re underestimating how much he turned us around last year, we were absolutely dreadful before he came in, much worse than this year, I think you are doing him an injustice by saying everyone else was poor, we were absolutely outstanding in that run to the GF.

put it this way, how many coaches have come into a side at the bottom of the table half way through a season and taken them to a GF?

Lots of good SL coaches don’t have ‘glowing records’ before taking over SL clubs, and some that have have failed.

Edited by Chrispmartha
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I couldn’t see the colour of the card through the rain

Why was it raining,lol   full credit to both teams in that weather,can't be much fun with that driving rain in your face/eyes.

Edited by Fevrover
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I call that good game management in the conditions. This is what I like about Willie Peters' Hull KR, or to be fair the result of 2 or 3 years of steady list management by Lakin to get a balanced squad, we finally seem to have got football smarts.

You're never going to see champagne rugby on nights like that, from any side, but what you need is hookers and half-backs guiding teams around the park, good defensive structure, and an intelligent kicking game. First time since we came back in 2006 that it feels like Rovers have a "proper" rugby team to be honest. 

Aye but whose camp are you in, Jon Well's who wants to be entertained irrespective of the result, or Wilkins who says performance is secondary as long as you win?

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Equally, Sangare seems like Oledski 3 years ago. Probably going to be brilliant, but not necessarily at that level yet, nor necessarily what Leeds can manage right now.

And Sangare is by far one of our better players...

Ouch! 

Can you please keep this form up for another couple or three weeks please.

Probably Smith will go with the thought that Roberts being a Leigh Lad will have a Stormer at the LSV on the 21st , what do you think Tommy?

8 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Agar wasn’t signed for the long term.

Ian Watson was signed for the long term, Daryl Powell was signed for the long term.

Non of the leeds coached you mentioned got us to a SL Grand Final.

Mr Lam got Wigan to the GF and he got the boot, nothing guaranteed in this game Chris. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Ouch! 

Probably Smith will go with the thought that Roberts being a Leigh Lad will have a Stormer at the LSV on the 21st , what do you think Tommy?

I cannot fathom the logic we will go with at Leigh H. Could be brilliant, could be terrible.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Mr Lam got Wigan to the GF and he got the boot, nothing guaranteed in this game Chris. 

Of course there’s nothing guaranteed but Smith will not be gone in 4 weeks time. People are talking as if we got absolutely smashed last night, it was 3 trys to two in awful conditions.

Mr Lam didn’t get sacked did he.

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Aye but whose camp are you in, Jon Well's who wants to be entertained irrespective of the result, or Wilkins who says performance is secondary as long as you win?

I've always said if I was a club owner , the only instruction to the coach would be " at home entertain , away, just win " 

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Ouch! 

To be fair , Louis did score in the friendly 

26 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I didn’t ask a question.

Adrian Lam was not sacked from Wigan.

You said "Mr Lam didn’t get sacked did he"

So that's not a question.

OK I was wrong - Officially - it if you read the comments on here at the time other circumstances suggested otherwise.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I want to be entertained, but when it’s raining or we’re having an off day I want to still grind out a win. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?