Thur 30th Mar: SL: Leigh Leopards v Wigan Warriors KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Leopards
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/03/23 at 19:30

15 minutes ago, hindsfordleyther79 said:

For me, the fact this is a close one to call, shows how far Leigh have come on the playing side.

I was thinking the same thing recently. I think for the first time in the SL era that we aren't just a plucky underdog hoping to cause the odd upset. I think with the crowds/marketing and event culture for matches i think the question of 'what do Leigh add to SL?' has been put to bed for now. All we need now is a passable home shirt🤣

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The key to Leigh winning is to keep French and Field quiet, the rest of the team and the coaching seems somewhat wanting (except Marshall) and these two are the primary reasons for Wigans success last season and evidently carried on this year.

Leigh by one score.

I think that's underestimating Wigan but sadly (for me) not by much. When talking about our threats this year French tends to be a threat at fullback but not when on the wing. If he's playing out wide it's not so much keeping him quiet as keeping the players on his inside quiet so he doesn't get the ball (a much easier task). It's Field or French (but rarely both), Farrell and Smith who are key to most of the good things we do and the players that have caused teams the most problems.

I'm fairly sure Leigh will win this because it feels like it will mean more to them and more to Adrian Lam. Even if you don't consider that aspect I think there's a very good chance Leigh outplay us.

Packs often dictate the outcome and Leigh have Amone, Asiata, O'Donnell and Ipape who are among the best performers in their respective positions so far this year. I've been hugely impressed by what I've seen from them. Even Mulhern seems to be looking decent at the moment.

You look at the Wigan pack and what we've got to throw at Leigh and we've got Farrell who is below his best but still playing at a high level and then who else? Smithies and Havard are solid workhorse forwards but haven't quite pushed themselves into the bracket where they are game changers. Ellis is bang average every game. Singleton and Cooper have been poor and fairly ineffective. Liam Byrne yet to show any real form. KPP and Isa at right side second row seem to swap each time one has a disappointing game (which is frequently).

Ipape vs Powell is a complete mismatch based on current form. Our best hope is that Brad O'Neill retains his place as he showed some promising signs against Salford and can actually trouble teams.

Comparing the backline of Field; French, King, Wardle and Marshall against O'Brien, Briscoe, Hardaker, Leutele and Charnley I don't think there's much to choose. Field is nowhere near last years form but he's still a creative influence, but so is O'Brien. Briscoe and Hardaker are a solid and experienced pairing but it's the left edge of Leutele and Charnley that concerns me the most (alongside O'Donnell). It's one of the deadliest edge combinations in the league and it's worrying that because of Cust and KPP/Isa our right edge has been a defensive frailty this year. There could be big damage caused on that side. For Wigan French is obviously a threat but limited on the wing. Marshall is quality but like most wingers he needs the service to cause problems. King has been good for us and is like having an extra forward with his work rate but gets little service alongside French. Wardle hasn't really settled yet and that limits our effectiveness on the left.

Smith pulls the strings in the halves but has been limited in what he can do with Cust's poor form and that's costing us big time. A lot of Wigan fans want Field in the halves and I'd generally be in favour but the issue is who plays where to accommodate. KPP and King are centre/wing when we switch mid-game but it's moving players out of position. Miski could come onto the wing but completely changing personnel on our right edge against such a threatening left edge could do more harm than good. I think Matt Peet would be more cautious so I wouldn't be surprised if there were no changes to the team for this week. Lam is obviously a huge threat in the halves for Leigh and Reynolds is solid and underrated.

There's definitely more quality within the Wigan side than we've shown so far this year but I have my doubts that we'd be able to get more than a couple of our forwards putting in strong performances whereas Leigh's pack men have been performing consistently well. If Wigan put in a decent performance I think it could be a close and exciting game. If it's more of the same from Wigan I think Leigh win by a couple of scores but looking capable of more.

• Like 5

Yo

27 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

I think that's underestimating Wigan but sadly (for me) not by much. When talking about our threats this year French tends to be a threat at fullback but not when on the wing. If he's playing out wide it's not so much keeping him quiet as keeping the players on his inside quiet so he doesn't get the ball (a much easier task). It's Field or French (but rarely both), Farrell and Smith who are key to most of the good things we do and the players that have caused teams the most problems.

I'm fairly sure Leigh will win this because it feels like it will mean more to them and more to Adrian Lam. Even if you don't consider that aspect I think there's a very good chance Leigh outplay us.

Packs often dictate the outcome and Leigh have Amone, Asiata, O'Donnell and Ipape who are among the best performers in their respective positions so far this year. I've been hugely impressed by what I've seen from them. Even Mulhern seems to be looking decent at the moment.

You look at the Wigan pack and what we've got to throw at Leigh and we've got Farrell who is below his best but still playing at a high level and then who else? Smithies and Havard are solid workhorse forwards but haven't quite pushed themselves into the bracket where they are game changers. Ellis is bang average every game. Singleton and Cooper have been poor and fairly ineffective. Liam Byrne yet to show any real form. KPP and Isa at right side second row seem to swap each time one has a disappointing game (which is frequently).

Ipape vs Powell is a complete mismatch based on current form. Our best hope is that Brad O'Neill retains his place as he showed some promising signs against Salford and can actually trouble teams.

Comparing the backline of Field; French, King, Wardle and Marshall against O'Brien, Briscoe, Hardaker, Leutele and Charnley I don't think there's much to choose. Field is nowhere near last years form but he's still a creative influence, but so is O'Brien. Briscoe and Hardaker are a solid and experienced pairing but it's the left edge of Leutele and Charnley that concerns me the most (alongside O'Donnell). It's one of the deadliest edge combinations in the league and it's worrying that because of Cust and KPP/Isa our right edge has been a defensive frailty this year. There could be big damage caused on that side. For Wigan French is obviously a threat but limited on the wing. Marshall is quality but like most wingers he needs the service to cause problems. King has been good for us and is like having an extra forward with his work rate but gets little service alongside French. Wardle hasn't really settled yet and that limits our effectiveness on the left.

Smith pulls the strings in the halves but has been limited in what he can do with Cust's poor form and that's costing us big time. A lot of Wigan fans want Field in the halves and I'd generally be in favour but the issue is who plays where to accommodate. KPP and King are centre/wing when we switch mid-game but it's moving players out of position. Miski could come onto the wing but completely changing personnel on our right edge against such a threatening left edge could do more harm than good. I think Matt Peet would be more cautious so I wouldn't be surprised if there were no changes to the team for this week. Lam is obviously a huge threat in the halves for Leigh and Reynolds is solid and underrated.

There's definitely more quality within the Wigan side than we've shown so far this year but I have my doubts that we'd be able to get more than a couple of our forwards putting in strong performances whereas Leigh's pack men have been performing consistently well. If Wigan put in a decent performance I think it could be a close and exciting game. If it's more of the same from Wigan I think Leigh win by a couple of scores but looking capable of more.

Thank you for your honest assesment, always a pleasure to read your 'match reports' Eagle, looking forward to Friday's addition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleEyePie said:

Good assessment , the core of our Championship team has performed as we expected , there are some good players there , added to this time with experience but not too old to still play SL 

My pick is John Asiata , I stated last year he'd walk into any SL team tomorrow still stands , still more to come from him and Edwin , hopefully tomorrow they'll hit their best , if they do , we should win 

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Is it sold out?

Not yet, and it won’t on a Thursday night both ends sold out and about 50 seats left in West. Corporate and boxes sold out
Wigan have sold well for a change and are in the East also which has about 12/1500 left. I would guess at 9000 sold so far

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Not yet, and it won’t on a Thursday night both ends sold out and about 50 seats left in West. Corporate and boxes sold out
Wigan have sold well for a change and are in the East also which has about 12/1500 left. I would guess at 9000 sold so far

Good effort.....it has looked great on telly the LSV 

• Like 1

Ipape is due a blinder. If the emotion doesn't get to Leigh and they get on with the Job, they could pick up the W here.

If they give Wigan too much respect, they could be 18 down in a blink of an eye.

I will go Leigh by 10. Attendance just shy of 10000