NRL Match Thread Round 5

Souths strike back as Campbell Graham touches down in the corner. Mitchell's conversion goes just wide.

10:18

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A few good chances snuffed out by the Storm's defence.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

And it finishes Souths 10:18 Melbourne.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammering for Canberra by Penrith . They really capitulated , that game was scrappy with restarts and penalties but dominant from the premiers . Melbourne gutsed it out but that game was far from a classic . Neither them or Souths looked that great but Storm attitude and defensive grit were evident . Lots of talk on these forums about set restarts , I wouldn’t go back to how it was but there are unsatisfactory elements in terms of teams giving them away and it barely being a punishment . I’ve said the option of kicking at goal should be available and also some are basically professional fouls that warrant sinbins . 

Knights and Sea Eagles was one of the great matches , highlighted by a superlative performance by Dom Young .  Again to me it highlights the unnecessary folly of golden point , you can’t have a draw after 80 but you can have one after 90 . Both teams deserved something for a superb effort . The game also produced one of the stupidest commentary lines in history by Michael Ennis . During golden point he argued with the commentator who said a draw would be fair by saying ‘ no we need a result it’s been that good ‘ . A draw isn’t a result then ?

Finally caught up on this round. I have a new tactic for watching Wests games. I wait until after midnight when the whole street's asleep then watch. That way the neighbours don't hear me crying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DavidM said:

Knights and Sea Eagles was one of the great matches , highlighted by a superlative performance by Dom Young .  Again to me it highlights the unnecessary folly of golden point , you can’t have a draw after 80 but you can have one after 90 . Both teams deserved something for a superb effort . The game also produced one of the stupidest commentary lines in history by Michael Ennis . During golden point he argued with the commentator who said a draw would be fair by saying ‘ no we need a result it’s been that good ‘ . A draw isn’t a result then ?

Ennis is terrible, week on week. He always refers to Cowboys v broncos as a ‘local derby’….despite Brisbane being much closer to sydney than townsville.

Wigan is closer to Warsaw than Brissie is to Townsville.

2 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Finally caught up on this round. I have a new tactic for watching Wests games. I wait until after midnight when the whole street's asleep then watch. That way the neighbours don't hear me crying.

Yes, you have had to watch some god awful teams in recent years but I think the current bunch is worse than any of them.

What were they thinking bringing back Mr Sheen? Hopefully Benji will be able to make progress at some point but current performances are embarrassing.

Almost one year to the day I saw them beat Parramatta …a magnificent game by Hastings. That seems light years away now.

After the first 10 minutes, I never expected as close a finish as this!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cronulla 30:32 Warriors at FT.

There's a resilience to the Warriors that we haven't seen in a long while. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

That's the thing about the NRL this season every round prodiuces a Wowzer result and the Warriors winning down at Sharkies is this round's Wowzer moment.

Nirvana for any sporting league is when you have the situation that anybody can beat anyone else and the NRL is getting close - Now if only they can fix West Tigers....

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Win or lose, Shaun Johnson's usually pretty calm in the post-match chat, but he was completely buzzing just then. "We said some funny s**t at half-time, bro."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another nail-biting finish!

CBY 14:14 NQL at FT, with a last-second try from the Foxx and a kick that hit the post and went out. Golden Point imminent.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bulldogs win! After an Addo-Carr break was scuppered by a wayward bounce, Matt Burton landed the DG from the touchline.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The HIA protocols can be a bit bemusing. I watched Faitala Marriner get knocked into Disneyland and the physio who I presume is a trained medical professional clears him to stay on then a minute later he’s dragged off by the independent doctor and five minutes later he’s failed his HIA . You see this quite often , and it doesn’t look great for club physios at times . Also in that gap while it’s checked players can be doing hit ups and tackles . Then at the other extreme are a few instances where doctors are removing players and they don’t know what it’s for . I understand the intentions but at times the optics are poor 

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

This game is very attack orientated. Easy chance both teams get to 30 today. Sharks with the man advantage for the first ten of the second half should do us good.

They seem to have a man advantage most of the game with  their trainer in team colours standing there among the attacking line