The case for two-point field-goals

55 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Should be double points for a try if you throw the ball over the goalposts, catch it then ground it.

Will stop players giving up chasing down players!

Always reminds me of this classic from U20s years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Should be double points for a try if you throw the ball over the goalposts, catch it then ground it.

Will stop players giving up chasing down players!

How many for kicking the ball over the goalposts, catching then grounding it.

Did this once playing Union back in my college days after taking an interception on the halfway line.

• Haha 1

as with every rule change the big question is:

What problem are you trying to solve?

If there isnt one then leave it along.. but what are you looking to do by increasing the points for a drop goal?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RP London said:

If there isnt one then leave it along.. but what are you looking to do by increasing the points for a drop goal?

Also, what new problems will you create by making the change?

• Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

4 hours ago, RP London said:

I'm thinking that in a tight game, the option of a 2 point drop goal beyond a certain distance will give an attacking team more opportunities to attack and the defending team more areas to defend. If the defending team has to be watching for a drop goal from further out, that will create space out wide for a running move. Just like scrums have now become platforms for attacking, running rugby, I think that this could have the same effect. I think I'm in favour, but would like to see it in practice. Maybe Magic weekend could be the place to try it?

23 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Maybe Magic weekend could be the place to try it?

Hardly.  Just six games and a good chance that you'd never see one all weekend.

The place to trial it is the NRL because they're already doing it.

Plus - I'm not convinced that "watching for a drop goal from further out" makes a huge difference.  The bigger threat is still from a try, even unconverted.

1 hour ago, johnh1 said:

I'm thinking that in a tight game, the option of a 2 point drop goal beyond a certain distance will give an attacking team more opportunities to attack and the defending team more areas to defend. If the defending team has to be watching for a drop goal from further out, that will create space out wide for a running move. Just like scrums have now become platforms for attacking, running rugby, I think that this could have the same effect. I think I'm in favour, but would like to see it in practice. Maybe Magic weekend could be the place to try it?

I think you'd definitely need to trial it as I am not sure you would risk the break away try.. Id rather risk them going at a 2 pointer and getting the ball back, or them missing, to have a punt myself at a try/drop goal. if its further out as well teams will just do their homework on players and if they are likely to "go for it". I'm not sure it would work to open the game up in that way, but a proper trial would tell us one way or the other. 

Fair dos. A trial would be fun to play in. I'd imagine the temptation to constantly and causally kick for the extra point field goal would be there especially after the fifth tackle.

For me, if there are to any thoughts on Laws, it would that SL and the NRL play to one set only.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, LlanWests said:

IMO it should be golden TRY extra-time,  

I saw Dewsbury and Rochdale play out a nil - nil draw back in the 90's. That would have made for an exciting extra time!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, RP London said:

I think you'd definitely need to trial it as I am not sure you would risk the break away try.. Id rather risk them going at a 2 pointer and getting the ball back, or them missing, to have a punt myself at a try/drop goal. 

You can't punt a drop goal.

• Haha 1

You may as well say we should give extra points for a goal kick from 40 metres or more or from wide out. Kicking from the touchline requires a lot more skill than kicking from under the posts.

Maybe we should give extra points for a long range try rather than a barge over.

Or maybe we could get by without any of these conjured up gimmicks.

• Like 1