Record crowd announced at leigh leopards

I hope those detractors from the leigh leopards rebranding are able to eat their humble pie this evening watching the battle of the borough

Dereks ideas and strategy have been spectacular, so many congratulations to him 

Estimated crowd 9500

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The storm said:

I hope those detractors from the leigh leopards rebranding are able to eat their humble pie this evening watching the battle of the borough

Estimated crowd 9500

I am delighted for Leigh that they are in the Super League and competitive with a good squad.

I will also be delighted with a record crowd for them tonight. 

And Beaumont deserves massive credit.

But with all that said, would they not have got this crowd with a strong team against Wigan with the old brand.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

As for Beaumont he does deserve criticism for some of the things that he has done but there is no denying he has done much good. Just today I was reading exchanges with Wigan fans where he went the extra mile to ensure a Wigan fan would be allowed in with their drum (yes I know its not to everyones taste):

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The rebrand was, and remains, amateur hour.

Everything else is being done really well.

But the crowd hasn't been announced yet so maybe leave the crowing against your made-up enemies until it has been, eh?

• Like 9

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

56 minutes ago, The storm said:

Estimated crowd 9500

They’re doing a great job in marketing the games.

The logo and kits are still terrible though.

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

9189 just announced on Sky, said it was a record

Fabulous crowd. However it’s only their highest in SL. The highest at LSV is over 10k, and their club record is 31k (hard to imagine that really, it must have been great). 

4 hours ago, The storm said:

Estimated crowd 9500

The fact that it was the local derby and Leigh have actually won a few games probably had more to do with it.

Had it been 6 losses and Wakefield at home I doubt the rebrand would have any bearing.

Good effort though.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, The storm said:

Estimated crowd 9500

Great effort so far from Leigh on and off the field and showing they deserve to be in Super League. Doesn't make the branding any better though.... 

54 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yeah I was going to say this. People seem awfully quick to attribute things to IMG that are nothing to do with them.

Kick up the backside…

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The rebrand was, and remains, amateur hour.

Everything else is being done really well.

But the crowd hasn't been announced yet so maybe leave the crowing against your made-up enemies until it has been, eh?

Until post WWII and probably up to the 1960s Leigh v Wigan was bigger than Saints v Wigan in rivalry if not in crowds, Wigan Leigh was the big local rivalry due to the mines being connected.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Impressed with a lot of what DB is doing and the impact of this... as always said never had a problem with the name just the execution of the launch and the shirt..  bubbles really making this work at the moment.  Hope they can keep it going would be great for more clubs to be getting that sort of crowd

It may be a record crowd for Leigh, but considering these towns are adjacent to each other and   both SL clubs  it's not that great a crowd and should have  ben a full house.

6 hours ago, Padge said:

Until post WWII and probably up to the 1960s Leigh v Wigan was bigger than Saints v Wigan in rivalry if not in crowds, Wigan Leigh was the big local rivalry due to the mines being connected.

There was plenty of trouble at those games in the 60s and 70's. 

8 hours ago, Damien said:

Yeah I was going to say this. People seem awfully quick to attribute things to IMG that are nothing to do with them.

Why do you think degsy is splashing the cash on pre match entertainment, and the rebrand, actually not splashing the cash on that obviously 

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Why do you think degsy is splashing the cash on pre match entertainment, and the rebrand, actually not splashing the cash on that obviously 

What did IMG do then to boost the crowd last night?

IMG have done nothing yet. The only reason clubs are jockying for position and making improvements is because of the criteria based changes that are coming to SL. We've seen this before when RL has implemented criteria at various points, going all the way back to the Framing the Future report, licensing etc. It's nothing new and certainly isn't attributable to IMG.

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

What did IMG do then to boost the crowd last night?

IMG have done nothing yet. The only reason clubs are jockying for position and making improvements is because of the criteria based changes that are coming to SL. We've seen this before when RL has implemented criteria at various points, going all the way back to the Framing the Future report, licensing etc. It's nothing new and certainly isn't attributable to IMG.

So this would seem to be a semantic difference between: IMG didn't book The Lottery Winners so the event feel last night is nothing to do with them versus IMG have been contracted by the RFL and the past year has been filled with IMG-related talk about what clubs needs to do, actual published details about what clubs need to do, votes about what clubs need to do, and clear directions about what clubs are expected to be doing to achieve the things they need to do so maybe, just maybe, some aspects of the positive moves clubs are making, having had years of making not many of them, may be related to the presence of IMG and their activity?

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)