When one league dominates a sport, it can destroy the international competitions, but does not have to

It's definitely aiming for that American feel.

Warren Smith referred to an ''exclamation point'' in commentary on Thursday, as opposed to the correct British and Australian English terminology of an ''exclamation mark''.

I suppose so much of the world is becoming evermore Americanised...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Warren Smith referred to an ''exclamation point'' in commentary on Thursday, as opposed to the correct British and Australian English terminology of an ''exclamation mark''.

I am surprised he didnt say “exclo po”. Most aussies cant manage more than two syllables and one of them has to be ‘o’ (ambo, servo, smokeo, rego…….)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Ironic isn`t it, what with America on the decline, or at least past its` best, I`m hearing so many of our immigrants - who in the past would have spoken that beautiful English you get when taught by people who actually speak proper English - now speaking with a faint American twang, it`s awful.

I`ve heard worse than your example though, Ruan Simms was using that awful Americanism "off of " the other night, she must somehow think it`s cool.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

US will be world leader for decades to come as china becomes old before it gets rich

but wich vision of the US the NRL will be following, the NBA with particiapation in summer olympics, World cups or the NHL way with nothing

NRL could beat the AFL in one dimension, it is obvious and they did not grasp it until now if the SH4N will become a at least biannually competition in addition to the WC and hopefully one tour year

3 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

I am surprised he didnt say “exclo po”. Most aussies cant manage more than two syllables and one of them has to be ‘o’ (ambo, servo, smokeo, rego…….)

Having lived down under for years, this obsession with two-syllables was a constant source of amusement. It's not always about abbreviation though: My mate Dave was called Dav-o, adding an extra syllable back in after having already shortened it from David. They're just weird.  

• Haha 4

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

who in the past would have spoken that beautiful English you get when taught by people who actually speak proper English

Not that spoken by Australians, then. Understood.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Not that spoken by Australians, then. Understood.

I can see you really put a lot of effort into getting that sentence just right.

3 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I can see you really put a lot of effort into getting that sentence just right.

I'm really very bad at grammar and proper English.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Watching the Raiders/Panthers highlights just now, I came across this peak Aussie syllable mangling… even global multinationals with otherwise culture-breaking, immensely powerful brands have to bend to it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

13C28CEF-4C15-4FAC-AEA4-EE7F5A20079D.jpeg

Edited by Hull Kingston Bronco
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

17 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Ironic isn`t it, what with America on the decline, or at least past its` best, I`m hearing so many of our immigrants - who in the past would have spoken that beautiful English you get when taught by people who actually speak proper English - now speaking with a faint American twang, it`s awful.

I`ve heard worse than your example though, Ruan Simms was using that awful Americanism "off of " the other night, she must somehow think it`s cool.

Yes, that is awful….I suspect Ruan knows no better.Its so prevalent here. I think it has something to do with private schools here

15 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Having lived down under for years, this obsession with two-syllables was a constant source of amusement. It's not always about abbreviation though: My mate Dave was called Dav-o, adding an extra syllable back in after having already shortened it from David. They're just weird.  

Still, not as bad as the kiwis who have simply shortened the alphabet by removing the letter E

They go to ‘bid’ between ‘tin’ and ‘ilivin’ , get up at ‘sivin’ unless they had ‘six’ in which case they stay in ‘bid’ longer.

When one league dominates a sport, it can destroy the international competitions, but does not have to

and then came the NRL!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political