EDDIE HEARN COMMENTS :)

Total ####### thank god he is not involved we would have had topless cheerleaders and Barry Mac having a pre match on field punch up with Paul Sculthorpe.

Nothing more than an east end spiv (Frank Warren is eating him alive focused on one sport Boxing and thats it)

Future to grow the game is Internationals and everything else would  fall into place.

The people that understand what is needed are 100% league 🙂

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

• ATLANTISMAN changed the title to EDDIE HEARN COMMENTS :)
1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Total ####### thank god he is not involved we would have had topless cheerleaders and Barry Mac having a pre match on field punch up with Paul Sculthorpe.

Nothing more than an east end spiv (Frank Warren is eating him alive focused on one sport Boxing and thats it)

Future to grow the game is Internationals and everything else would  fall into place.

Paul

The gist of his comments were that the Super League has no stars.

Now that you have ripped him apart, any chance you could let me know who the star players are that he failed to mention?

Thanks

• Like 1

i believe he said no stars for the last 10 years! looks like we dodged a bullet he obviously has never seen a game of league for the last 10 years.

• Like 2

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

16 minutes ago, my missus said:

i believe he said no stars for the last 10 years! looks like we dodged a bullet he obviously has never seen a game of league for the last 10 years.

Obviously hasnt, like the majority of the UK. 

Which actually backs up his point. 

And by stars he means players that are in mainstream conscience.  (non boxing fans will recognise Anthony Joshua, I can't stand snooker or darts but know their stars)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

Now that you have ripped him apart, any chance you could let me know who the star players are that he failed to mention?

Thanks

Hearn is wrong, SL has plenty of stars, the issue is they are behind a paywall and the general public rarely gets to see them on TV so they remain largely unknown.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Hearn is wrong, SL has plenty of stars, the issue is they are behind a paywall and the general public rarely gets to see them on TV so they remain largely unknown.

I feel like your conflating the terms ‘star’ with really good rugby league players. They are two very different things.

• Like 10

Most sports are behind a paywall, which doesn't stop them from having stars. Anthony Joshua has been behind a paywall his whole career.

Super League has no stars. General sports fans in the country have no idea who the top players in the competition are.

And then the casual sports fans in Super League club cities will still probably only know the players who developed through the system

Sinfield and Burrow are the biggest names in RL/SL (in the UK) right now and both are retired.

Sam Tomkins was the last star player in the comp, but momentum is lost when they go to the NRL.

Yes, they are stars on the pitch but no player is individually bringing in new viewers, doing big numbers on social media or in the national news.

Eddie Hearn has a $1 billion global tv/streaming deal, he's certainly not being eaten by Frank Warren.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jparrish said:

And by stars he means players that are in mainstream conscience.  (non boxing fans will recognise Anthony Joshua, I can't stand snooker or darts but know their stars)

They are individual participant sports ( or activities if you want to include darts😊)…cant compare with team sports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

They are individual participant sports ( or activities if you want to include darts😊)…cant compare with team sports.

Point taken i used those as examples because their sports the Hearnes have managed.

team sports stars my mother would recognise: Harry Kane, Steven Gerrard, Alan Shearer, Vinnie Jones, Owen Farrell Jonny Wilkinson Jason Robinson James Haskell, Stephen Curry, Micheal Jordan anyone who won gold in the 2012 Olympics and the Undertaker from WWF amongst others. She is no sports fan they are "Stars" 

Edited by Jparrish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Agreed but Jacques O'Neill was on a mainstream popular TV show just before the World cup and to my knowledge has not been used at all for the promotion of the world cup or this season.  What a wasted opportunity. He should of been asked to be making appearances at schools and colleges taking sessions and giving out free tickets ect. And asked if he could promote RL through his social media channels. Which will have large followings now 

Has he though ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jparrish said:

Anthony who? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Jparrish said:

Point taken : my mother would recognise Harry Kane, Steven Gerrard, Alan Shearer, Vinnie Jones, Owen Farrell Jonny Wilkinson Jason Robinson James Haskell, Stephen Curry, Micheal Jordan anyone who won gold in the 2012 Olympics and the Undertaker from WWF amongst others. She is no sports fan they are "Stars" 

The Undertaker....ffs

Is Stephen Ben's Brother??

You do know Jason Robinson made his name in RL dont you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

The Undertaker....ffs

Is Stephen Ben's Brother??

You do know Jason Robinson made his name in RL dont you!

Yes and The Rock 

I know that, all rugby league fans know that, but my mother only knows him as the guy from Leeds who won the World cup with England. 

• Haha 1

Super League is full of great players, but beyond the core League audience, I agree with the sentiment that there is almost no one who would be easily recognised by the wider sports public.  

Some of this is based upon the coverage of the sport, being stuck on Sky and being perceived as regional sport doesn't help, but the game also doesn't really have any poster players who are the face of the sports marketing and used by the sport's sponsors / etc.

As @Siwel14 mentioned, Tomkins was the last star who had cut through, and what helped that is he was often the face of Super League's marketing and of course Sky's marketing of Super League.  Who is the face now? Former players like Sinfield and Burrow? Andrew Hill? I appreciate there is always a hesitation to make one or a small handful of players the face of any sport, especially as it always leads to calls of favouritism and can backfire if they do something silly, but it wouldn't hurt the sport to try and build some brands.

• Like 1

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

9 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Paul

As I said on the socials, Eddie Hearn is certainly an expert in loss-making, invisible sports.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Just on this, by my count Tommy Makinson (or any other Saints/England player) could have appeared in as many as ten live games on terrestrial telly in 2022. Five world cup games, three Channel 4 and two Challenge Cup games.

That's very good exposure if you use it correctly.

• Like 5

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

10 hours ago, Jparrish said:

Well it doesn't support his point it's not a lack of stars or characters it's a lack of media coverage, representation and respect.

It doesn't take a physicist or a Billericay Dicky to jsay the chuffin' obvious.

A media that thinks it's doing us a favour if it reports on us at all and a sport that is grateful for the pathetic mentions it gets won't look like it;s got anything worthwhile.

This is why I repeatedly asked, What IMG have been doing in this direction?

Of course it could be one of the numerous April Fool jokes doing the rounds if not he can have the April Fool title all to himself.

When I first read the article I imagined him miming "It Should Have Been Me!" as he watched IMG and SL walk down the aisle.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

13 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Thanks

Currently Walmsley and Welsby to name 2 from Saints. Within the last 10 years biggest name in SL is probably Sam Burgess.

Somehow forgot Roby!

Edited by bratman

15 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

thank god he is not involved we would have had topless cheerleaders and Barry Mac having a pre match on field punch up with Paul Sculthorpe.

I suppose you are right but I would be lying if I didn't admit my first thought was that would be bloody brilliant. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It's as others have alluded to. He might be able to diagnose the problem, that the sport has no stars or place in the public consciousness, but I am not at all convinced he might have ever had a solution. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.