EDDIE HEARN COMMENTS :)

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

boxing is a single person sport , totally different 

And far easier to market for that very reason, as is darts. I'm surprised this wasn't front and center in counter Hearn arguments.

I have to say there's a bit in "The First Kangaroos" that mirrors this idea where the actor playing James Giltinan argues that Sport is best sold in individual combative packets and it's certainly not something RL has tried too often or with any real sense of purpose.

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 31/03/2023 at 20:56, ATLANTISMAN said:

Total ####### thank god he is not involved we would have had topless cheerleaders and Barry Mac having a pre match on field punch up with Paul Sculthorpe.

Nothing more than an east end spiv (Frank Warren is eating him alive focused on one sport Boxing and thats it)

Future to grow the game is Internationals and everything else would  fall into place.

The people that understand what is needed are 100% league 🙂

Paul

TOPLESS CHEARLEADERS NOW WE ARE TALKING. 

• Confused 1

• 11 months later...

While it is obvious that IMG are trying to address what Hearn mentions here Hearn basically repeats comments he has made before about Rugby League. Interestingly this is more about Union facing the same issues, although Hearn refers to League when discussing this. The RU Premiership CEO is also interviewed and it is clear that RU is facing the same issues too around lack of stars that transcend the sport. It seems that every team sport bar Football is facing this issue:

• Like 3

In terms of traditional media, club RL and RU have been pretty much crowded out by the various England women's national teams and the (football) WSL. In that sphere, our answer must surely be to push our national teams - but no sign of that.

In terms of social media, I had thought we'd begun to make an effort to highlight our stars but we are so far behind on this that I wouldn't be surprised if Reece Walsh will soon have more name recognition in the UK than Jack Welsby.

18 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Reece Walsh will soon have more name recognition in the UK than Jack Welsby.

Walsh is a glamour pin up for young female NRL fans with his persona and charisma  and Elvis like looks as well as been freakishly skilled as a FB with every young player wanting to emulate him - Welsby - well? is not 

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

My daughter’s generation seems to have the attention span of a gnat so I can’t imagine how boring they must find yawnion.

League is the rugby of the future. Inclusive, classless, quick, entertaining. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 04/04/2023 at 20:44, Oxford said:

And far easier to market for that very reason, as is darts. I'm surprised this wasn't front and center in counter Hearn arguments.

I have to say there's a bit in "The First Kangaroos" that mirrors this idea where the actor playing James Giltinan argues that Sport is best sold in individual combative packets and it's certainly not something RL has tried too often or with any real sense of purpose.

Agreed....darts, snooker and boxing are completely different beasts to a team sport

• Like 1

On 25/03/2024 at 17:21, Damien said:

It seems that every team sport bar Football is facing this issue:

Completely this ....

I'd even say football has taken a hit in this too...along with boxing, darts and snooker 

Losing the commonality if everyone reading the same papers and watching the same channels has caused this 

We can look back on those days nostalgically but the lack of choice was pretty rubbish too .....e.g. I used to really look forward to Spitting image Sunday nights but after that there was never anything else on so I had to watch the South Bank Show....can't see those two audience demographics overlapping much these.days with so much more choice 

• Like 3

On 25/03/2024 at 18:27, Coggo said:

My daughter’s generation seems to have the attention span of a gnat so I can’t imagine how boring they must find yawnion.

League is the rugby of the future. Inclusive, classless, quick, entertaining. 

Let's hope so 

My kids will sit and watch it as long as they have a burger and 10 minutes each half on their phone 

It helps we have a reward system....if their team wins they get a treat from the shop after...if not then there is fresh tap water readily available that they can have as much of as they want (within reason) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Completely this ....

I'd even say football has taken a hit in this too...along with boxing, darts and snooker 

Losing the commonality if everyone reading the same papers and watching the same channels has caused this 

We can look back on those days nostalgically but the lack of choice was pretty rubbish too .....e.g. I used to really look forward to Spitting image Sunday nights but after that there was never anything else on so I had to watch the South Bank Show....can't see those two audience demographics overlapping much these.days with so much more choice 

I loved Friday nights after school with things like Cheers but then got dread of Sunday after Spitting Image with music of the South Bank Show.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ha....yes that horrible theme tune really resonates doesn't it

Oh and before that travelling the world with adverts with Clive James and was it Chris Tarrant before or after that I liked.

Sorry for going off subject 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Must admit, I’d never heard of either of the darts ‘stars’ who did the Challenge Cup quarter-final draw earlier this week. Mind you, I’m only really interested in sport...

Michael Smith has been on Sky's RL coverage at least once when World Champion, and often shown in the crowd, and talks the sport, and Saints, up to his audience a lot. Joe Cullen is easier to miss, a Wigan fan from Bradford???

On 25/03/2024 at 18:15, graveyard johnny said:

Walsh is a glamour pin up for young female NRL fans with his persona and charisma  and Elvis like looks as well as been freakishly skilled as a FB with every young player wanting to emulate him - Welsby - well? is not 

Agree with all that but for one little point johnny, I will see your 'Elvis' looks and raise it with a young Tony Curtis.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Agree with all that but for one little point johnny, I will see your 'Elvis' looks and raise it with a young Tony Curtis.

I will raise your tony curtis for a jack welsby young jilted john 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 25/03/2024 at 17:21, Damien said:

While it is obvious that IMG are trying to address what Hearn mentions here Hearn basically repeats comments he has made before about Rugby League. Interestingly this is more about Union facing the same issues, although Hearn refers to League when discussing this. The RU Premiership CEO is also interviewed and it is clear that RU is facing the same issues too around lack of stars that transcend the sport. It seems that every team sport bar Football is facing this issue:

Interesting adding RU into that bracket, but I would say fair on current scene. As with other commenters, I would say that my mum's awareness of sportspeople is a fair barometer of star status. She actually watches a fair bit of football and Olympic sports but little else teamsports-wise. She would have known Robinson, Wilkinson, possibly Martin Johnson and Dallaglio, before that Guscott and Carling, but I doubt she knows Itoje, Ford etc. Even internationally, there's no Lomu. SA reliant on team play, Dupont trying 7s.

As for RL, she'd know Sinfield and Burrows, but perhaps only since the charity work has been their focus rather than as players. 

In cricket, most people in England would have heard of Stokes and those who follow sports might know Root.

In terms of youngsters, I suspect there are very few towns in England where schoolkids would name RL players before LeBron James, maybe Steph Curry, and there are probably far more playgrounds where someone could give you NFL names like Beckham Junior and Mahomes than name a rugby league player.