Keighley Cougar owners

Meet the owners of Keighley Cougars in our latest episode 

They discuss why they for involved in RL, how it all happened, their backgrounds and their hopes and intensions for the future.

We try to give people the opportunity to talk about themselves as it's often interesting to hear peoples stories, why they do what they do.we really enjoyed this chat.

The Cougars are back 💪🏉🙂

2 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Clint Goodchild at York is less local, but yes, good point.

Geographically, yes, but grew up speaking English and playing RL. To come here from Brazil, never having seen the game before and to have got into the culture of RL in Yorkshire to the point of criticising expansion teams, the RFL, the greed of SL clubs and so on is quite an achievement 🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, JonM said:

Pretty sure the Brazilian feller is the least local owner in British RL 🙂

It was a joke.. it doesn’t really matter where the owner is from, and they are entitled to not be impressed with IMG proposals, but…

They have publicly come out and said that this is an M62 sport and that London and others should play in a separate southern league which is just so poor on many levels.

Global owner, local thinker for local people 🤦‍♀️

• Like 4

On 02/04/2023 at 15:04, theswanmcr said:

It was a joke.. it doesn’t really matter where the owner is from, and they are entitled to not be impressed with IMG proposals, but…

They have publicly come out and said that this is an M62 sport and that London and others should play in a separate southern league which is just so poor on many levels.

Global owner, local thinker for local people 🤦‍♀️

Problem is it is a northern sport as has been proved over the last 100 years. Lots of failed experiments along the way 

• Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

58 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Problem is it is a northern sport as has been proved over the last 100 years. Lots of failed experiments along the way 

Yep. Agreed. We need to get rid of teams from France and London or wherever... they are diluting the league. We could easily get a 3rd Wakefield side in, or some team from another equally depressing West Yorkshire town.  I felt physically ill when they relocated Leigh to Toronto. Let's keep it local! 👊

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

Best go tell that to the Aussies, Kiwis, French et al. Tell the Greeks et al not even both to try develop the game either. 

While you are at it, all those northern clubs who have failed (or on the verge of it) may as well quit this time rather than trying and trying again since there is no sustainability for them either…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

Yep. Agreed. We need to get rid of teams from France and London or wherever... they are diluting the league. We could easily get a 3rd Wakefield side in, or some team from another equally depressing West Yorkshire town.  I felt physically ill when they relocated Leigh to Toronto. Let's keep it local! 👊

Depressing West Yorkshire town ? Not going to get all political but MOST of the country are depressing towns/ cities.  I read some ###### on here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

Yor right about diluting the leagues. Catalan are only there because they were ringfenced. Toulouse are struggling even with their backers London fast tracked to super league and even had Richard Branson for a while and still struggled. I’d love it to be nationwide European wide and worldwide but alas it isn’t. Make it stronger where it’s wanted

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Yor right about diluting the leagues. Catalan are only there because they were ringfenced. Toulouse are struggling even with their backers London fast tracked to super league and even had Richard Branson for a while and still struggled. I’d love it to be nationwide European wide and worldwide but alas it isn’t. Make it stronger where it’s wanted

“Catalans are only there because they were ringfenced”

…yes, and now they have the 2nd highest revenues in the entire league, ahead of loads of sides who’ve failed to build anywhere near the same levels in more than a century. And yet the lesson you learn from this is that we’re better off without them?

The more obvious question is surely: Why don’t we take the same long-term approach again? 

• Like 12

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

12 hours ago, DEANO said:

And you don't think it's wanted in Perpignan? Looks like it does to me.

London didn’t struggle under Branson though, did they? Challenge Cup Final, a semi-final and 6th and 7th finishes. I reckon most clubs would snap your hand off for that kind of performance onfield over a 5-6 year period. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

“Catalans are only there because they were ringfenced”

…yes, and now they have the 2nd highest revenues in the entire league, ahead of loads of sides who’ve failed to build anywhere near the same levels in more than a century. And yet the lesson you learn from this is that we’re better off without them?

The more obvious question is surely: Why don’t we take the same long-term approach again? 

yep.. i thoroughly enjoy the posts that say "we've tried and it failed" when the clear evidence is that we havent really tried..

its like saying "i tried to tie my shoelaces", well what did you do? "I looked at them and it looked hard, I put one lace over the other but it didnt stick so i stopped".. ah ok then no worries velcro or slip ons for you.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DEANO said:

Because sl chairman won’t agree to been relegated for finishing 2nd from bottom 

and that, in a nutshell, is why we are where we are and why the decision making of the league should be independent of the clubs. I dont blame SL chairman for this, this is on the RFL. 

If you want to expand (and we're not talking about massive expansion) then this has to be a strategic objective from the RFL and it has to be run (not the club, the plan) by the RFL.. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DEANO said:

Can you say that there has been any serious attempts to break out of the north? Admitting teams from random places and leaving them to sink or swim isn't exactly a sound strategy.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Can you say that there has been any serious attempts to break out of the north? Admitting teams from random places and leaving them to sink or swim isn't exactly a sound strategy.

If anything at times its more the opposite, trying to take the game away from the North with the ridiculous merger led deleting of Carlisle and Gateshead.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

What do you suggest. Giving them all the sky money?

On 03/04/2023 at 20:49, DEANO said:

Make it stronger where it’s wanted

Keighley have had nearly 150 years to get it right and run on average crowds of 1600. 

So yeah I agree... we should cut them off and invest instead in somewhere where it's wanted 😉

What were keighleys crowds when they were denied a place in superleague that they earned on the playing field?

The crowds of the smaller clubs have drifted away as the RFL have repeatedly shown they have no interest in them. Look at the Challenge Cup…used to be a highlight of the season….all teams entering at the same stage with everyone having an equal chance of facing a big team.

How many games do league 1 teams now have to win before the chance of playing Saints or Wigan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1