Attendance thread

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

Or maybe they'd have been delighted with a magnificent England victory, as happens in other sports. Its only RL fans who see every match as a RL purity test.

No, sorry but I'm absolutely certain all the people who turned up to watch England women smash Luxembourg 10-0 hated every minute of it and didn't go to another game, probably disgusted.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Damien said:

Or maybe they'd have been delighted with a magnificent England victory, as happens in other sports. Its only RL fans who see every match as a RL purity test.

I wouldn’t want to go to watch England win 9-0 against San Marino in football, and the crowds for those games are smaller than games against tougher opponents, as are club matches. That said my comment was with tongue in cheek. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Imagine if the match had been in London and people not familiar with League had gone to watch England hammer France 64-0. Do you think they’d be be keen to go again? It was a wise strategic decision from the RFL to keep the game small time in the Heartlands, away from the prying eyes of the media and Southerners. 

If anything I'd say it was the other way round. We pasted Samoa in the World Cup opener which was on national TV and SJP had thousands of non regulars there and no-one came away from it negatively, it was a great day out with a England win.

Whereas the heartland already writes off the match,thus the poor crowds.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I wouldn’t want to go to watch England win 9-0 against San Marino in football, and the crowds for those games are smaller than games against tougher opponents, as are club matches. That said my comment was with tongue in cheek. 

Fair enough 🙂

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Imagine if the match had been in London and people not familiar with League had gone to watch England hammer France 64-0. Do you think they’d be be keen to go again? It was a wise strategic decision from the RFL to keep the game small time in the Heartlands, away from the prying eyes of the media and Southerners. 

This is so far off the mark it's almost unbelievable.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

41 minutes ago, Eddie said:

There's been 5 England matches in London in the last 10 years. The lowest crowd has been 35k. It's not like people south of Birmingham have much chance to watch top flight RL. I would say that heartland RL fans have much greater opportunity to pick and choose RL games and are far more likely to turn their noses up at a likely one sided game.

My experience of attending internationals in London is quite different and I am always surprised at how many southern fans attended and how many seem to genuinely love attending England games.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Damien said:

There's been 5 England matches in London in the last 10 years. The lowest crowd has been 35k. It's not like people south of Birmingham have much chance to watch top flight RL. I would say that heartland RL fans have much greater opportunity to pick and choose RL games and are far more likely to turn their noses up at a likely one sided game.

My experience of attending internationals in London is quite different and I am always surprised at how many southern fans attended and how many seem to genuinely love attending England games.

mmm I guess they have the opportunity relatively locally to watch so many England games,  whether soccer, RU, or whatever sport come to think about it.    Their again can always watch the semi-finals and finals of other sports down their too.

Not that I'm saying we shouldn't do RL internationals down their but gosh I wish I had the same sporting opportunities to watch England or the major competition games without a long travel day or hotel requirement adding to the cost.

Edited by redjonn
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, meast said:

I'm just amazed that England hardly ever play outside of the Northern heartlands, is it due to fear? Down to cost? Logistics? I've genuinely no idea, but the best experience I've had at rugby league was the England semi final at the Emirates.

There was thousands of people who weren't avid RL fans, many around me didn't know the players, the rules etc but totally got behind England, I said at the time, I didn't hear many northern accents either in or around the ground, or in the pubs.

A chance to build on that by playing Englands next game away from the heartlands but we blew it, how many of those people who enjoyed the Emirates game would have gone along to watch? They may not have known that France weren't on the same competitive level as England, but they would have enjoyed an England win.

Massive opportunity missed in my eyes, same with the Tonga series.

As long as Steve and Karen from Warrington or Mick and Susan from Leeds can get to the game relatively easily if they choose to go, thatseems to be all that matters when choosing England games!

FWIW i agree i'd much rather travel to Newcastle/Birmingham/London for an England game than Wigan/Warrington/Hull.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, daz39 said:

As long as Steve and Karen from Warrington or Mick and Susan from Leeds can get to the game relatively easily if they choose to go, thatseems to be all that matters when choosing England games!

FWIW i agree i'd much rather travel to Newcastle/Birmingham/London for an England game than Wigan/Warrington/Hull.

Just one or all 3?

Did you go to both Newcastle and Arsenal for Englands WC games?? 

11 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Just one or all 3?

Did you go to both Newcastle and Arsenal for Englands WC games?? 

Nope as i was on Holiday but i am saying i would make more effort to than the heartland games.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I agree with this provided you can bring yourself to admit it also applies to John from Huddersfield.

• Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, daz39 said:

Nope as i was on Holiday but i am saying i would make more effort to than the heartland games.

Nice - nearly 4 weeks holiday just when the WC was on - not sure if that's great ( 4weeks away) or bad  (missed the WC).

You can maybe combine your hols with the WC in 2025 in France 👍

2 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Nice - nearly 4 weeks holiday just when the WC was on - not sure if that's great ( 4weeks away) or bad  (missed the WC).

You can maybe combine your hols with the WC in 2025 in France 👍

I wasn't away for weeks, love to be able to afford it, i meant i was for the Newcastle game and yes i will definitely be doing some games in 2025 hopefully.

• Like 1

Rd 9 for the NRL:

Sharks v Cowboys - 8148

Eels v Knights @ Commbank - 15875

Broncos v Rabbitohs @ Suncorp - 40102

Raiders v Dolphins @ Wagga - 10445

Sea Eagles v Titans @ Brookvale - 10107

Panthers v Tigers @ Bathurst - 11055

Warriors v Roosters @ Mt Smart - 20395

Dragons v Bulldogs - @ Win Stadium 16678

Total: 132,805 Average: 16,601 Season Avg: 19,097

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

new rise.jpg

2 hours ago, Pulga said:

Raiders v Dolphins @ Wagga - 10445

Panthers v Tigers @ Bathurst - 11055

Couple of very respectable crowds for those games played in NSW country venues. Seems to be working  - the Parra game in Darwin, and the Manly game at Mudgee also seem to have been very well supported.

13 hours ago, daz39 said:

You may be right...

Never-the-less if the promotional efforts are done well you could be targeting people from Newcastle York and Hull plus surrounding area's for the Leeds venue.  Its approx 1hour 30mins by train from Newcastle depending upon train times.    Mind you its not much longer by train to Huddersfield from Newcastle.   So maybe we can attract some of those fans that turned out/took an interest for the Newcastle WC part of which was to gain increased awareness/interest  of the sport..

You may be right with your thoughts on the attractiveness of the places you mention but anyone staying over could chose Leeds and travel to Huddersfield for the game if they don't fancy Huddersfield for a weekend. That's not to say I'm agreeing with you on what you think of the places.

45 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Looked like a sparse crowd for Hull v Wigan yesterday, especially considering the performance of each teams so far this season.

Just over 10,000 , only a couple of hundred from Wigan so not too bad for a wet Thursday Eve televised match 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, georgeb1 said:

Just over 10,000 , only a couple of hundred from Wigan so not too bad for a wet Thursday Eve televised match 

Not bad at all, particularly considering Hull’s form this season. 

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Looked like a sparse crowd for Hull v Wigan yesterday, especially considering the performance of each teams so far this season.

Before game hull 2 wins from 10 games so they are holding up quite well. A thursday night game with few wigan fans(understandable) and teaming down with rain I say well done FC fans. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JonM said:

10760 for Catalans v Saints

5423 for Leigh v Cas

Yes , disappointing attendance at Leigh , both home and away , probably 900 home fans down compared to the Leeds game 2 weeks ago , we deserve better , Wire up next hopefully after taking 2 off the Giants and progressing in the cup against Wakey 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Before game hull 2 wins from 10 games so they are holding up quite well. A thursday night game with few wigan fans(understandable) and teaming down with rain I say well done FC fans. 

Ooohhh yeah, I saw Hull KR 3rd and thought it was FC.