Efl tv deal implications

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Tbh, I think they have upped their game with midweek Championship games which are usually on the same time as the Champions League. Every midweek game is now available on the red button for example.

That said, there is naturally going to be less sport on on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

You wait until Super League becomes a Tuesday-Thursday set fixture on Sky.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.Ā (Terry Pratchett)

On the upside, the fact that DAZN and TNT are still looking for a substantial amount of UK content at least means there's a possibility we could be part of that, which helps renegotiation with Sky a bit.

I agree with the OP thought that the value of the SL contract is largely the value of the cancelations (inc broadband etc) if Sky dropped SL. The current figure looks about right to me, so if we want more money, we need to increase both viewing figures and inventory.Ā  Ā Ā 

I am thinking of finally upgrading to a sky Q box. But i will wait until the RL deal is done. If Sky drop RL Its simple for me Sky gets dropped across the board, I suspect 10ā€™ā€™s if nit 100ā€™s thousand subscribers would be lost without RL.

be very surprised if Sky go down this route or a big reduction in rights as they know they will lose mire than they would save

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

@Live after deathyes- say 100k at Ā£600 a year is Ā£60m.Ā 

Knock off Ā£25m for broadband cost and vat (broadband cost is what open reach charge per broadband household) and you're left with about Ā£35m.Ā 

Ā£10m production/ overhead/ profit and bingo- you get to Ā£25m they pay Super LeagueĀ 

Why would you knock broadband off if SL isnā€™t on Sky I cancel it and get my broadband elsewhere. The way these firms work is they want you to get as much as possible through them hence broadband Sky bet and the new one Sky glass tvs. Plus if people have the full package Ā£600 a year is way off.Ā 

54 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

@Live after deathyes- say 100k at Ā£600 a year is Ā£60m.Ā 

Knock off Ā£25m for broadband cost and vat (broadband cost is what open reach charge per broadband household) and you're left with about Ā£35m.Ā 

Ā£10m production/ overhead/ profit and bingo- you get to Ā£25m they pay Super LeagueĀ 

I was meaning 100 thousand subscribers not the full value of subscriptions, but yeah 50-100 thousand cancelled subscriptions would be 30-60 million plus lost advertising revenue. RL is great value for Sky if not undervalued.Ā 

• Like 1

@Live after deathsky business has few direct costs. Pressing a button to put channels in your tv costs nothing.Ā 

As you say, if people ditch Sport they might take broadband elsewhere. Unlike tv, there is a direct cost to Sky for broadband. Sky have to pay Ā£x to Open reach (part of BT) for every broadband sub they get for infrastructure (basically all cabling outside of house)Ā 

Obviously if you cancel, sky lose your subscription fee but save some of that in not paying Open reach for your broadbandĀ 

Edited by Rugbyleaguesupporter
More text

I only watch Sky through Now Tv... if they got rid of RL I would turn off the sports package which IIRC is about Ā£33 per month.. I may turn it on for certain things as you can do it 1 month at a time but I'm not sure I'd be bothered to. So thats a nice saving for me and I do wonder how many people use Now TV in this way (it seems like a big streaming service, though not great)... that really is just pure lost revenue.Ā 

3 hours ago, RP London said:

I only watch Sky through Now Tv... if they got rid of RL I would turn off the sports package which IIRC is about Ā£33 per month.. I may turn it on for certain things as you can do it 1 month at a time but I'm not sure I'd be bothered to. So thats a nice saving for me and I do wonder how many people use Now TV in this way (it seems like a big streaming service, though not great)... that really is just pure lost revenue.Ā 

I use Now TV for just sky sports (RL and NFL plus the odd Norwich game but nothing else). Tend to pay around Ā£20 a month (when the deal runs out I try to cancel it and they give me a new deal), which is good value imho, and I can cancel it when I like. The only issue is itā€™s about a minute behind so rubbish for in game gambling.Ā 

3 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

I like Leighā€™s response ā€œ Anything less than Ā£50m per season we should tell them No Thanks and go it alone, ride the pain and come out strongerā€

I'm not sure turning down, say, a Ā£200m 5 year deal makes sense at all.Ā 

• Like 2

On 10/04/2023 at 15:08, Live after death said:

RL is great value for Sky if not undervalued.Ā 

RL is amazing value for Sky andĀ  totally undervalued. And they know it.

Ā 

30 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Cant lose sleep over this....I support a league one team....it will be a doddle to replace the 12 shillings and sixpence a year we get from the sky money.

Ā 

I must write to the RFL and complain, that's twice as much as I thought you were getting!

• Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol: Ā Non-Political

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ultimately all RL can do is be the best version of itself.Ā 

So far this season we have put on a. Great show in front of decent crowds in nice grounds, with the odd exception.Ā 

We have brought in professional people, and the talk is all about driving club standards up.Ā 

The narrative has been taken back from the naysayers and we've just broken the SL record for attendances.Ā 

Do the right things, the results will follow, generally speaking.Ā 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Eddie said:

I use Now TV for just sky sports (RL and NFL plus the odd Norwich game but nothing else). Tend to pay around Ā£20 a month (when the deal runs out I try to cancel it and they give me a new deal), which is good value imho, and I can cancel it when I like. The only issue is itā€™s about a minute behind so rubbish for in game gambling.Ā 

I find that too but I'm thinking at some point the law of averages must kick in and it will be ahead by a minute or so, at which point I'll be raking it in!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/04/2023 at 11:02, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'd cancel SKY if they ditched SL....

Me too and whenever I'm in contact with themĀ  I make a point of saying I only have Sky for the RL.

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol: Ā Non-Political

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I believe some clubs lose significant revenue do to games being televised, especially on a thursday night.Ā 

I did some number crunching and there is a benefit to having sky, but its not as significant as people think

33 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Staggering deal for EFL, (187m per year for 5 years, up from 119m) ,what are the implications for RL as the OP asked is anyone's guess. My guess is no implications at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65502322

In short- every EFL team on 14 times a yearĀ 

Championship teams will be shown about 27 times, League 1/2 will be on 20 timesĀ 

No more direct streamingĀ 

Sky likely to have EFL app (and tennis app for their new rights) to show all of this in addition to main channelsĀ