Fri 21st Apr: SL: Castleford Tigers v Hull Kingston Rovers KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers
    • Hull Kingston Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/04/23 at 19:30

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

You seriously think that collision was because Westerman was equally careless or reckless as the tackler and they were equally responsible for the clash of heads?

Yes, unless you are using a different language, Greek Neh is yes.

Sometimes stuff just happens. A two player head clash is a common occurence, nobody did anything wrong. What next a clash of knees means the atacker gets a penalty because the defender also had a knee.

• Like 4

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

That Corey Hall's a big specimen, isn't he? I look forward to seeing what he can do at a club like KR.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Padge said:

Yes, unless you are using a different language, Greek Neh is yes.

Sometimes stuff just happens. A two player head clash is a common occurence, nobody did anything wrong. What next a clash of knees means the atacker gets a penalty because the defender also had a knee.

Yes, this is my point.

Research shows that head clashes are prevalent in Rugby League due to the upright tackling.  They may not be intentional for each specific incident but coached tackling techniques increase these types of incidents.

It is comfortably within the bounds of reason to call any head clashes of this kind reckless because different tackling techniques will not incur them at the same rate.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

So many mistakes from Cas and even when they get up into a really good attacking position, it never really looked like they'd get another or even if they believed they would. Still, no one will have it easy there to be fair to them

2 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Great prospect that lad. HKR are very luck that Wakeys village idiot allowed them to sign him

Must be the worst piece of business Wakefield have ever done, certainly in my lifetime supporting them.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 minutes ago, OnStrike said:

So many mistakes from Cas and even when they get up into a really good attacking position, it never really looked like they'd get another or even if they believed they would. Still, no one will have it easy there to be fair to them

Except Saints, Wigan and Wire who already have.

You won't win games six nil, and Andy Last coached teams won't score many more than that I'm afraid. 

Edited by Gates1

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, this is my point.

Research shows that head clashes are prevalent in Rugby League due to the upright tackling.  They may not be intentional for each specific incident but coached tackling techniques increase these types of incidents.

It is comfortably within the bounds of reason to call any head clashes of this kind reckless because different tackling techniques will not incur them at the same rate.

The tackling technique was legal, there was contact between two players at head level.

If that becomes a penalty then coaches will soon tell players in that situation to who are being tackled to make sure there is head contact with each others head whever possible.

Be wary of what you try to change.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Must be the worst piece of business Wakefield have ever done, certainly in my lifetime supporting them.

Worse than letting Tom Johnstone go? Or was that something that they couldn't prevent?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good, grinding game, with KR's quality seeing them home.

I think Jacob Miller actually looked better without Widdop. I don't really see the point of Fonua on the wing. He's too lumbering.

Corey Hall look different class. When he fills out he should be an awesome second rower. As it is, I'd have Hall right in the mix for England. I just think he look silky, tough, and has strike.

Mikey Lewis needs to be told that he isn't playing soccer. I didn't like him brandishing an imaginary card to get Westerman marched for ten.

An enjoyable Friday night. Better team won, but Cas will be okay if they play like that for the rest of 2023.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

The tackling technique was legal, there was contact between two players at head level.

If that becomes a penalty then coaches will soon tell players in that situation to who are being tackled to make sure there is head contact with each others head whever possible.

Be wary of what you try to change.

There is a class action from former players regarding the long term effects from head injuries they suffered during their playing days.

The laws of the sport say that reckless contact with the head is a penalty... and this could easily fall into that category. 

And I am not trying to change anything, I am trying to have a conversation about whether modern tackling techniques increase the liklihood of head clashes and injury.

Although it doesn't seem to be a conversation that is going anywhere so I will not bother any more.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

You won't win games six nil, and Andy Last coached teams won't score many more than that I'm afraid. 

Well maybe not 'no one' but Wigan and Warrington will put big scores on plenty this season and if it wasn't for silly mistakes against Saints it would have been much closer.

But yeah, take your point, the commentators were praising amazing defence from KR but they didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary to stop the Cas attack on their try line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Worse than letting Tom Johnstone go? Or was that something that they couldn't prevent?

No one could blame any of our out of contract players looking elsewhere last season when we looked nailed on for relegation.  Secure future plus more money.

Hall was contracted till the end of next season and was just as surprised as the fans that he was discarded so quickly and pointlessly, in exchange for a 2nd string utility back.

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Like 2

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

There is a class action from former players regarding the long term effects from head injuries they suffered during their playing days.

The laws of the sport say that reckless contact with the head is a penalty... and this could easily fall into that category. 

And I am not trying to change anything, I am trying to have a conversation about whether modern tackling techniques increase the liklihood of head clashes and injury.

Although it doesn't seem to be a conversation that is going anywhere so I will not bother any more.

I tend to agree with you here. Another similar sport would give a red card for that today. I'm not sure whether that is the way to go, but I do feel there is an element of recklessness to it.

James Graham used to have a lot of head clashes when he was tackling. That was because of his style. I'm not sure why players should have to keep taking those head contacts because of a tackling style. 

23 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

Close on the scoreboard but Cas never looked capable of winning it in the second half.

Might have helped if somebody had bothered to catch that kick off mind.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

26 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I know you aren't going any further, but however you change techniques, accidents will happen. I stick by my point that if coaches see 'accidents' get a penalty then they will coach players to create those 'accidents'.

• Like 2

Cas came to make things difficult and they did. First 10 minutes Rovers were missing tackles and Cas were tearing downfield. The opening try was deserved reward for the home team.

I don't think they ever looked like scoring again apart from early in the second half when Tom Opacic made an incredible save in the corner.

Corey Hall got Rovers level and briefly Cas got in front though a DG. Abdull produced a brilliant kick off and Parcell got over for what proved to be the winning try. Can you believe that Leeds actually swapped Parcell for Lunt?

Corey Hall then dropped the ball with the line at his mercy and Rovers had a try chalked off for Linnett being within 10 meters despite having no influence on the play whatsoever, This rule need looking at.

Coote who was excellent had to go off with a few minutes remaining and Cas rained bombs where he should have been.

Just 11 months ago Tony Smith's Hull KR went to Cas and lost 32-0. After several brilliant wins I'm chuffed that Rovers can also grind it out away from home against determined opposition.

• Like 2