Sunday 7th May: L1: Oldham V Cornwall: KO 1.00pm, Vestacare Stadium, Oldham

Bedford Roughyed

This is a very frustrating league. One week we play a team well below our standard. Then a week or more without a game. Then a Dewsbury or Doncaster. How the players manage to build up any momentum or or consistency, develop tactics and planned moves is beyond me. It feels like an abandoned division of a mish mash of teams. Probably because it is. Very unsatisfactory. For me the whole structure of the divisions needs looking at. Though how to balance the needs of expansion teams and keep things competitive I really don't know. In the match do we stick to homegrown players to give them a run; or use DR to try to increase the margin of victory (assuming we win). Who knows?

• Like 5

23 hours ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

This is a very frustrating league. One week we play a team well below our standard. Then a week or more without a game. Then a Dewsbury or Doncaster. How the players manage to build up any momentum or or consistency, develop tactics and planned moves is beyond me. It feels like an abandoned division of a mish mash of teams. Probably because it is. Very unsatisfactory. For me the whole structure of the divisions needs looking at. Though how to balance the needs of expansion teams and keep things competitive I really don't know. In the match do we stick to homegrown players to give them a run; or use DR to try to increase the margin of victory (assuming we win). Who knows?

Dewsbury rested six regular players giving opportunities to their squad players (no DR). It seemed to work out OK.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully the team will be ALL Oldham lads. Next week's game is a big one and we don't want to be playing Wigan lads on Sunday to find they have been recalled the week after.

I put losing to Doncaster was caused by that. The first half they were all over the place due to players not ready due Wigan lads having their spots against Rochdale.

Then the real big one the week after against Dewsbury. I see Restall scored three more this weekend.

So looking forward to Sunday. This international break for the Championship and league one clubs is so unnecessary and totally disruptive. I could have understood if all the nations had been playing and plenty of players involved but this was poorly thought out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

So looking forward to Sunday. This international break for the Championship and league one clubs is so unnecessary and totally disruptive. I could have understood if all the nations had been playing and plenty of players involved but this was poorly thought out. 

Can't wait. The fixtures are a nightmare in this league and made worse by the welsh lot dropping out. The game has got to look at a single division outside of SL. Personally, I'd increase SL by two and have a larger Championship. 

• Like 1

Due to the lack of games we’ve had so far, we have to go full strength into this week. We need to get the combinations back up and running. I’ve been really impressed with the start so far, we’ve got 5 or 6 quality players for this division Baker, Ah Van and Wilkinson have been massive signings so far. If the new board want this club to go into the championship we are 3-5 quality players away from walking this division, we are not far off but not good enough with the current squad. 

• Like 2

totally agree with every word you have said man.yed. 

but to sign enough  good players i estimate would cost around £40.000 pounds.

and that i believe would   guarantee promotion.

but can anyone tell me where the monies are going to come from to sign the said players.

i have not yet seen a statement of intent from the directors ?.

• Haha 1

On 03/05/2023 at 20:22, tandle said:

but to sign enough  good players i estimate would cost around £40.000 pounds.

and that i believe would   guarantee promotion.

but can anyone tell me where the monies are going to come from to sign the said players.

i have not yet seen a statement of intent from the directors ?.

You claim to support the club over many years. You constantly criticised everything about the club under the previous regime ( and with some justification at times) but why moan about the new board. They will tell people what they need to know when the time is right. 

in the meantime get to the matches, buy maybe a golden gamble ticket or some merchandise. 

But try to be positive and give the new board time!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

You claim to support the club over many years. You constantly criticised everything about the club under the previous regime ( and with some justification at times) but why moan about the new board. They will tell people what they need to know when the time is right. 

in the meantime get to the matches, buy maybe a golden gamble ticket or some merchandise. 

But try to be positive and give the new board time!

Good luck with that 

this was not a moan it was my suggestion to what i think is needed to gain promotion this year.

so i wanted other supporters to come on the forum with their suggestions.

as for ch i said what i thought about how he as run oldham rlfc for twenty six years but he as gone now i new era as begun end of.

2 hours ago, tandle said:

this was not a moan it was my suggestion to what i think is needed to gain promotion this year.

so i wanted other supporters to come on the forum with their suggestions.

as for ch i said what i thought about how he as run oldham rlfc for twenty six years but he as gone now i new era as begun end of.

Fair enough!

• Like 1

On 03/05/2023 at 19:32, ManchesterYed said:

Due to the lack of games we’ve had so far, we have to go full strength into this week. We need to get the combinations back up and running. I’ve been really impressed with the start so far, we’ve got 5 or 6 quality players for this division Baker, Ah Van and Wilkinson have been massive signings so far. If the new board want this club to go into the championship we are 3-5 quality players away from walking this division, we are not far off but not good enough with the current squad. 

I stand by what I said above, I see this game as almost a friendly game and will not judge wether we win by 2 or 60, this week is about getting us ready and the lads back into playing before  Workington and the real start to the season of the  week to week. 

• Like 1

Hard game. Congratulations on the win. 

I suspect the lads eased off slightly late on which resulted in two late tries

I don’t like to bag refs as theirs is a tough job, but todays ref and touch judges allowed Cornwall to mess and spoil the game. Their players were running in for a brawl at every chance they had. He missed so much particularly head tackles yet would penalise menial incidents. 

• Like 1

My biggest worry is the number of injuries we sustained due to the lack of authority by the ref - sorry can't call him a ref he hadn't a clue so letting them get away with almost murder.

Two big games coming up we need every player we can get out there.

• Like 1

Really disappointed with the Cornwall tactics and the  officiating allowing it to continue, Cornwall should have been down numerous players through out the game. This caused us to become frustrated, I thought we were good for 60 minutes special mentions to Ah Van who has been a great signing and Wilkinson who was a threat all game and also great to see McNally back. 

looking forward to getting into the week to week of competitive rugby with a huge test up in Cumbria next week

• Like 2

Like I said about the referee, he was rubbish, he was right on the spot. It's a wonder the Yeds didn't react, I suppose they realised it would have been a waste of time and if the had, it would have given him reason to send one of our lads off.

• Like 1