Sat 29 Apr: Intl (Men): England v France KO 16:30 (Sky)

Who will win?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • France by 1 to 6 points
    • France by 7 to 12 points
    • France by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/04/23 at 16:00

Fully expecting the usual negativity, but this has been a decent game where young players (Smithies, Smith and Havard especially) have staked their claim for a big autumn Test Series against Tonga.

France have shown signs but are, quite obviously, being let down by 3/4 players who clearly aren't at the level (Marion the hooker, Jullien, Romano as a winger).

Mourgue and Rouge are both playing well and have the potential to be the cornerstone of this French side. Throw in Garcia, Seguier, Yaha, Da Costa with Pelissier off the bench (I'm excluding Fages as he clearly doesn't fancy it) and there's a decent team there.

Edited by Ray Cashmere
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

And on another point, have I missed todays line up on this thread?

I certainly can’t find the damned lineups on google. Maybe that is because of the location I am in, but darn me, I can’t even get a French line up from anywhere.

I posted the French line up earlier in this thread 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sam4731 said:

Under FIFA rules, domestic coaches must release players for international matches. No such rules exist in rugby league.

What should we be expecting, NRL clubs which are bigger than the RFL to let their players go and play in this sheet show?

Give over… imagine NHL or NBA clubs doing that. Heck, neither do it for World Cups of their respective sports.

I've always said this fixture should be a regular one, but while England remain a class apart, it should be played in France, possibly with French officials. It would be better for both sides.

• Like 5

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Archie Gordon said:

Why do France do this? I can understand the women don't have the resources but the men do. 

This match-up will now go back on the shelf for a while. Depressing.

Its only like watching Wakefield play, and they keep coming back

1 minute ago, Archie Gordon said:

Why do France do this? I can understand the women don't have the resources but the men do. 

This match-up will now go back on the shelf for a while. Depressing.

Because many players are simply not interested Fages being one.

Just now, Sports Prophet said:

What should we be expecting, NRL clubs which are bigger than the RFL to let their players go and play in this sheet show?

Give over… imagine NHL or NBA clubs doing that. Heck, neither do it for World Cups of their respective sports.

Wait until we don't play the WC semi final line up against Spain and Serbia. 

8 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

Under FIFA rules, domestic coaches must release players for international matches. No such rules exist in rugby league.

There used to be after the Sorensens were prevented from playing for New Zealand by Cronulla

Edited by Gomersall

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Because many players are simply not interested Fages being one.

I wouldn't play him anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Like Giggs and Wales?

FIFA Regulations of the Status and Transfer of Players:

Clubs are obliged to release their registered players to the representative
teams of the country for which the player is eligible to play on the basis of his
nationality if they are called up by the association concerned. Any agreement
between a player and a club to the contrary is prohibited.

4 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yes that is exactly what I'd expect. If we want the game to grow, the international game is the best way forward, (exposure, sponsorship, interest etc) and if we want the international game to thrive, teams need their best players to play.

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Did anyone think it would be? It’s purpose is to give England a mid-season game against the most credible opposition possible, and also to give France a run about against the most credible opposition for them and (in theory) to help them improve. This game ticks all those boxes.   I think we’d all have liked to see it in France but maybe that wasn’t possible. 

If it’s going to be in the calendar — great. Internationals are another level. But don’t make it a random week in a random town. 10 year view. Block out this weekend. Same city in France, same city in England, alternate years. Build some tradition - engender competition - allow fans, coaches and players to plan ahead.

Quite good fun watching on to.

Ground nearer a mainline train station might have been better

4 minutes ago, JT RL said:

If it’s going to be in the calendar — great. Internationals are another level. But don’t make it a random week in a random town. 10 year view. Block out this weekend. Same city in France, same city in England, alternate years. Build some tradition - engender competition - allow fans, coaches and players to plan ahead.

Quite good fun watching on to.

Ground nearer a mainline train station might have been better

I agree except I’d move the games around both here and in France. Fans like to visit new stadiums. The worst thing they could do IMO is fix the fixture in Perpignan.