England v Tonga series

Looking forward to it - should be a cracker of a series. Hope to go to the Leeds game. Think the notion of NRL clubs stopping players is a bit far fetched - there will always be some players that pull out due to needing an off season but Tongan players have showed up constantly for quite a few years now - can't see that changing. 

Both sides near full strength I think would be quite the contest. Tonga on the up IMO. Katoa + Amone have the potential to be quite some halves pairing for many years to come. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mojo said:

I don't see any problem with his posts tbh. Everyone has a different opinion on certain things and that's fine

Totally agree. BP is usually measured in his responses without getting nasty unlike some on here. You might not agree with him but he’s just as entitled to his opinion as anyone else is.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

You really do hate England and SL don't you mate! Its every single post you put on here Despite having no reference for Tonga being a better team than England as England have never lost to Tonga, so based on form im not sure why you think they would beat England now- unlike your team NZ who Tonga beat easily  - or is your team Spain now after you left NZ for a better life🤣🤣

Are we really going pretend that Tonga didn’t beat the GB Lions (who in theory should be stronger than England) in 2019!

I recall you making the exact same argument towards Samoa (never beating England) during the last World Cup which proved to be irrelevant.

Should be a great, close series.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Balmainboy said:

Looking forward to it - should be a cracker of a series. Hope to go to the Leeds game. Think the notion of NRL clubs stopping players is a bit far fetched - there will always be some players that pull out due to needing an off season but Tongan players have showed up constantly for quite a few years now - can't see that changing. 

Both sides near full strength I think would be quite the contest. Tonga on the up IMO. Katoa + Amone have the potential to be quite some halves pairing for many years to come. 

I think Player Power is a bit more potent these days and with the NRL more dependent on Pacific Island-qualified talent, they can't do the old end-of-season "incredibly minor but 100% necessary" medical treatment dodge to scupper tours.

Taumalolo's declaration for Tonga emboldened and united a bunch of players who might have kept their heads down in isolation, and it wasn't just Tongans.

As for what gets organised Down Under, if they can't cook up a compelling event with the ingredients of Australia, New Zealand, Samoa, PNG and Fiji, then that's their problem. Ditto next year, only swapping Samoa for Tonga. Both hemispheres get a sellable product.

• Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Players enjoy playing international Rugby League.  It is something that is often lost in these conversations.

Another thing that gets lost in these conversations is that while Jason Taumololo gets a lot of credit for the advent of this PI phenomenon but IIRC it was initially David Fifita who convinced Jason Taumololo to sign up for Tonga.

So while it`s hats off to JT of course, let`s not forget the important part that Fifita played in all of this.

Edit Apologies to @gingerjon and @Futtocks it was Andrew Fifita. So many Fifitas , you lose track.🥴

Edited by The Rocket
Correction.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 29/04/2023 at 19:05, Tommygilf said:

They've been trying in football for a few decades, putting more in than any other country. And they're still dire.

They're parp at handball too. And they do keep trying there as well.

Speaking of, today this happened.

Now, I think Rasmus could be wrong but I'm not sure how Cook Islands Women qualified for the RLWC so he may be right on a technicality there.

However, does the presence of the Faroes in a major tournament, having got there by getting results against Austria, Ukraine and Romania, all of whom are 'proper' countries with leagues and teams, mean the average sports fan is going to think less of handball?

Or is no one going to remotely care and get on with enjoying the spectacle?

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

53 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They're parp at handball too. And they do keep trying there as well.

Speaking of, today this happened.

Now, I think Rasmus could be wrong but I'm not sure how Cook Islands Women qualified for the RLWC so he may be right on a technicality there.

However, does the presence of the Faroes in a major tournament, having got there by getting results against Austria, Ukraine and Romania, all of whom are 'proper' countries with leagues and teams, mean the average sports fan is going to think less of handball?

Or is no one going to remotely care and get on with enjoying the spectacle?

Not sure about the Cook Islands women, but I'm pretty sure the men have won a repechage/qualifier each time they have got to the RLWC.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Not sure about the Cook Islands women, but I'm pretty sure the men have won a repechage/qualifier each time they have got to the RLWC.

Wiki counts them as automatic qualifiers.

I'm not about to go down that rabbit hole, not least as I have just cracked open a nice bottle of wine.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Back on topic I just cannot believe that all 3 matches are scheduled along the M62 corridor (Especially Huddersfield) this is a total lack of ambition why on earth London has been omitted god only knows.

There is more at play here maybe a cost cutting exercise as the RFL has to pick up the pieces of the disastrous RLWC 2021 and the mess one is hearing that it has left behind.

I feel sorry for some of the excellent team that work at the RFL true RL people unlike many at the RLWC 2021 who seem to have mostly now all gone off to nicely paid sporting and administration jobs elsewhere at a drop of a hat leaving them to pick up the pieces.

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Back on topic I just cannot believe that all 3 matches are scheduled along the M62 corridor (Especially Huddersfield) this is a total lack of ambition why on earth London has been omitted god only knows.

There is more at play here maybe a cost cutting exercise as the RFL has to pick up the pieces of the disastrous RLWC 2021 and the mess one is hearing that it has left behind.

I feel sorry for some of the excellent team that work at the RFL true RL people unlike many at the RLWC 2021 who seem to have mostly now all gone off to nicely paid sporting and administration jobs elsewhere at a drop of a hat leaving them to pick up the pieces.

Paul, could you tell us more about this mess that is left behind after the world cup?

Most people seem to think that it was neither a great success nor a great failure. I've only heard you suggest that it has left behind a 'mess' that could potentially threaten the game's financial standing in Britain.

What are the details of what you've heard, and from where?

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Watching the full test series. Can't wait.

Likewise, even if it`s four o`clock in the morning. Should be an absolute belter of a series, can you imagine if it goes to a decider.

28 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Paul, could you tell us more about this mess that is left behind after the world cup?

Most people seem to think that that it was neither a great success nor a great failure. I've only heard you suggest that it has left behind a 'mess' that could potentially threaten the game's financial standing in Britain.

What are the details of what you've heard, and from where?

I think it’s important that @ATLANTISMANprovides greater detail where he can.

Ive spoken to two people involved in ‘lesser’ RLWC21 camps behind the scenes and they say they made a ‘slight loss’ after the tournament but both agreed that the international game would be stronger for the things they put in place during the tournament E.g sponsorships, procedures, relationships and operational standards.

The IRL also released their accounts this week, can’t say I’ve looked in great detail with a poorly little one at home:

https://www.intrl.sport/media/ktinh3r2/annual-report-2022.pdf

26 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

I think it’s important that @ATLANTISMANprovides greater detail where he can.

Ive spoken to two people involved in ‘lesser’ RLWC21 camps behind the scenes and they say they made a ‘slight loss’ after the tournament but both agreed that the international game would be stronger for the things they put in place during the tournament E.g sponsorships, procedures, relationships and operational standards.

The IRL also released their accounts this week, can’t say I’ve looked in great detail with a poorly little one at home:

https://www.intrl.sport/media/ktinh3r2/annual-report-2022.pdf

I looked at that earlier this week but it didn’t cover the WC so we are still in the dark. I suspect it will be buried like the 2017 WC accounts were. 

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

To be fair to the RLWC committee they were dumped on from a great height by Australia and New Zealand. I assume they were also under a contract that took them to the end of the WC. Why wouldn’t they find employment elsewhere once it had finished? 

• Like 1

Re the series and the choice of stadiums.

Think of it as a test of the whole sport: organisers, clubs, fans, media. If the sport collectively does not sell out, REALLY sell out at least one game, then it's time to pack the whole thing in. 

40 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I’m toying with going to Huddersfield for a couple of reasons. One it’ll probably be the least attended of the 3 percentage wise and the series is guaranteed to still be alive which you can’t say for Headingley. 

Yeah I'm thinking the same....but I'm also torn that the first game might be the most exciting build up

• Like 1

If possible, I'll go to two of the three, but going to St Helens...well, that might be a bridge too far...😀😀😀😀

( and it's further away from home than Wemberlee.)

Edited by JohnM
  • Haha 1