Which TRLers have you met?

...oh, and the dual code fan from Leicester.....forgotten his name now, I'm ashamed to say, so apologies. Met him in a pub near his home town. 

Oh and yes Audios....met him, iirc at Avignon when England under Denis Betts were playing France.

Edited by JohnM

On 03/05/2023 at 10:15, JohnM said:

...oh, and the dual code fan from Leicester.....forgotten his name now, I'm ashamed to say, so apologies. Met him in a pub near his home town. 

Oh and yes Audios....met him, iirc at Avignon when England under Denis Betts were playing France.

ChairmanM if I am correct and his mate Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

27 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yes you're right. How could I forget.?  its me age, I tells ye! 😃

Haha, I reckon you are the Benjamin Button of the forum and get younger as the rest of us get older. Was reet nice to meet you back in the day.

Another couple of sint elliners that was met. Dogmatix and Haloman and how have I forgot the one man catrastrophe that was sam? Great guy he was but a tad unlucky with things

Edited by GURNER
  • Like 1

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

i-zPSXpZk-600x402.jpg

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 02/05/2023 at 21:11, Padge said:

I met thi good self not that long ago after having not seen you for years. In the way distant past took you on a cultural tour of WIgan, some may call it a pub crawl.

To add to the list there is Paley and Zoe the former item dissasembled. Jonty, L'Angelo Mysterio, Hullgal who married, ??? name escapes me, a relationship fostered through these pages.

The late Ray Gent and Tim Wilkinson, spent a lot of time in Ray's company and contributed to their Rugby League in it's Own Words book.

I remember it well, I love  the wigan culture😂

I think the first person I met from here was Dan (Glos Exile), when he came up for a pre match "friendly", Hull v Hull KR. He had a pal with him who I think may also have posted on here who's moniker escapes me. That was yonks ago.

Since then I've met quite a few, Padge, Native New Yorker and Hannibal (now Jim Prendle, I think),  all on the same day in the Anvil and the first two, a few times since.

TonyXIII who's a diamond geezer but struggles with railway timetables, meeting up with him was surreal. He was supposed to arrive at Hull Paragon on the train from Seamer, if memory serves, and we were then going to get a bus/taxi to Craven Park for an England v France game in 2011/12 ish. In the end, the train arrived but Tony didn't. John M met us and we went in his car to the game. We pulled into the Hull KR car park and a female steward came over to John's car which was left hand drive and had French plates on. The girl looked at me and John lent over and said "Bonjour" at which point she sh*t herself and screamed "Oh God, I don't speak French", so John talked to her in perfect Wigan speak while we tried to keep straight faced. Having settled in a reasonable position in the East Stand at Craven Park, RoyBoy, who was also with us, nudged me and pointed out a chap in a Salford shirt wandering along the front of the terracing gazing upwards. I shouted "TONY!!!", not having either seen or spoken to him before and he came up to join us.

Also notable mentions to Just Browny, who in reality is a lovely bloke and nothing like the acerbic character he portrays on here, Harry Stottle another top bloke, Dave T who is depressingly lovely, hindlexiii, Mick Gledhill who I have a signed and framed Bradford Bulls 2004 shirt that he seems unable to collect, Nicky (Saintsbird) who is prolific on facebook but suddenly stopped posting on here after a final rant at someone who I think may have not treat her very well after a TRL meet up in Huddersfield once, although I'm just guessing about that. Nearly met Mags (amh then amm) but there wasn't room in our car for her, sorry about that girl.

Obviously a few Hull FC fans, Lowedesert, Mistress Marlowe, Ullman and RoyBoy.

Finally, a little while back, I had a request for a Toon Magic meet up from a Wakey fan from up north east way, possibly South Shields, who posted under "Eleftherios" and we managed a brief chat. Last I heard he was rather ill and unable to get to many games, haven't heard from him for a while, dearly hope he's okay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 01/05/2023 at 22:29, JohnM said:

Justin, too. Can't re.member his Monika, though. 

JWAD?

• Thanks 2

On 30/04/2023 at 20:30, Padge said:

I usually see Old Frightful aout 5 minutes after kick off at Wigan v Hull games as he has no sense of timing. Roy Boy gets included.

Indeed, if my sense of timing, or perhaps common sense, was better I would just stay in the pub.

On 28/04/2023 at 09:45, Mumby Magic said:

For me officially one, Phil.

You should make it two then I could give you this effing book I owe you.

• Haha 1

On 01/05/2023 at 18:29, Shadow said:

I've got a TRL Rugby shirt* 

I've met Gingerjon, JohnM, Yorkshire Pie, Bob8, Number16, Johnoco, James Vukmirovic and Matt Santos.

Edit, *well, TRL related. Who remembers the Mighty Penguins?

I'm embarrassed to report I had completely forgotten I sort of met Kenilworth Tiger when he ran the London Marathon a few years ago, I say sort of met, I shouted "Carl" as he ran past on the embankment and waved, screaming "It's me, Shadow"

edited to add

Successfully made that all about me I notice.

Edited by Shadow

Apologies go to Carl (Kenilworth Tiger) who is also a top lad and Adam (HKRAwayDays) who I met on the same day as TonyXIII at Craven Park, a decent Rovers fan.

I'm sure I'll remember others that I'm failing to recall right now.

3 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Apologies go to Carl (Kenilworth Tiger) who is also a top lad and Adam (HKRAwayDays) who I met on the same day as TonyXIII at Craven Park, a decent Rovers fan.

I'm sure I'll remember others that I'm failing to recall right now.

IIRC, HKRAwayDays went to Australia. 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

IIRC, HKRAwayDays went to Australia. 

Understandable.

I live by the golden rule... never meet your heroes.

• Haha 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Billy No Mates me, not sure I've ever met anyone.

I know Angelo and Rovrum from the Rovers but otherwise I feel I've missed out these last 20 years.

Rovrum 😂 doesn't live in Rovrum anymore 

I’m hopeless with names and faces. I’ve probably been around a number of  TLR’ers without even knowing.

My days down in London/South East/Essex must have bought me some occasions, whilst it’s less likely here in Nottinghamshire. 

And then there’s Batley. 

Anyone recall?

Edited by Northern Eel

I had the pleasure of meeting Gogledd ( Mark) again today.

He is cycling round following NW Crusaders and raising money for MND.

If you go to any of  the up coming games make a point of shaking his hand and more importantly drop some cash into his bucket.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Keighley mad 'guess who' years ago made it to the pre-match grand final drinks in Manchester if I recall.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

14 hours ago, Clinton Baptiste said:

Many years ago l met a poster called Dally M {an Australian} in the Caxton pub in Brisbane before a GB vOZ game.Does anybody remember him ? l believe he made a trip to the UK at one time.

I still have nightmares about him. I once greatly offended him by saying that the NRL in Australia was nowhere near as big as Premier League football is in the UK (when it used to be a common thing said about Aussie RL over here).

I have only knowingly met one person from here who isn't an already known Widnes fan, the great Jill Halfpenny Fan who gave me a couple of old Aussie RL jerseys many years ago. I wore one last Halloween when I went as a 1980s RL player mullet and all.