Double header sunday

georgeb1

Well, that was a hard watch, no Bailey Antrobus ( groin) or Liam Harris but Hingano back and I know he has is detractors on here but the guy is class, his kicking is something else, when he is fully fit ( and let’s hope and pray he stays that way) he will tear the opposition apart, especially if he can form a good relationship with Harris. 3 cracking tries by Towse too. On a bit of a negative note, we did push the self destruct button a couple of times and some of the tackling left a bit to be desired on the back of yet another questionable display by a young referee, but you can’t let that affect how you play. The kid from Heworth via Wakefield did well and has a good turn of pace and looks strong for an 18 yr old and  Akuma Taai   Put in a decent shift for his 300th career appearance. Main thing is we got the win!

• Like 8

A wins a win but it was painful at times today, line speed in defence was really poor meaning we were bumped off in the tackle loads of times, some of our forwards offer next to nothing going forward or in defence. I’d happily see the back of a fair few of this squad if we want to be better on the pitch.

Special mention for AJ today, thought he was outstanding under the high ball and all his tries took some scoring. Great to see a York lad being one of the stars of the team. Oliver Pratt looks really useful too, hopefully the plan is to keep him here full time. 

Hingano will be class for us if he can stay fit but some of the game management was laughable near the end, the sort of stuff you’d expect from under 12s. Why not drill the ball to touch when you’re 8 points up with 5 minutes left, rather than trying something fancy which lead to them making a break and scoring? Did similar with 2 minutes left when we were hanging on as well. Just really dumb rugby. 

I’d love to see our full strength side play, only a couple more weeks to wait!

• Like 2

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

A win is a win certainly not a vintage performance but we found a way to win ,again we have lost more players at training,surely the coaching staff must start to look at the training facilities the players are training on if it's causing players injuries as we seem to be losing a lot of players in training.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

A wins a win but it was painful at times today, line speed in defence was really poor meaning we were bumped off in the tackle loads of times, some of our forwards offer next to nothing going forward or in defence. I’d happily see the back of a fair few of this squad if we want to be better on the pitch.

Special mention for AJ today, thought he was outstanding under the high ball and all his tries took some scoring. Great to see a York lad being one of the stars of the team. Oliver Pratt looks really useful too, hopefully the plan is to keep him here full time. 

Hingano will be class for us if he can stay fit but some of the game management was laughable near the end, the sort of stuff you’d expect from under 12s. Why not drill the ball to touch when you’re 8 points up with 5 minutes left, rather than trying something fancy which lead to them making a break and scoring? Did similar with 2 minutes left when we were hanging on as well. Just really dumb rugby. 

I’d love to see our full strength side play, only a couple more weeks to wait!

Wasn't at that end when the ref give Hingano the penalty for obstruction,but certainly looked like he brought the penalty.

Ata looks class, would like to see him and Cunningham fit and playing together, need Fitz and double P back to give us some grunt.

Would be nice to get an update this week on ALL injuries with genuine times for them returning. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Good win for York today,nip and tuck looking at score. 

That is all you could say. they looked like two struggling teams to me. Knights defending was atrocious at times, I thought we were lucky to hang on to the win. A much needed win though looking at other results this weekend.

• Like 2

On a totally different note, very sad to hear at the game today of the passing of club President and ex owner John Stabler, a true gentleman who loved York RL and over the years must have ploughed an absolute fortune into it. A very sad day for York Rl. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 6

52 minutes ago, HaxbyKnight said:

That is all you could say. they looked like two struggling teams to me. Knights defending was atrocious at times, I thought we were lucky to hang on to the win. A much needed win though looking at other results this weekend.

An ugly win ? Our win was ultra ugly lol. They all count.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

On a totally different note, very sad to hear at the game today of the passing of club President and ex owner John Stabler, a true gentleman who loved York RL and over the years must have ploughed an absolute fortune into it. A very sad day for York Rl. 

Very sad indeed. I have known John many years, and I doubt if anybody has given more to York Rugby League, in many ways, than John has. Condolences to his family.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

Very sad news John's first game was in 1954, same game as me a really nice bloke.

Edited by spanishknight
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

Agree wholeheartedly Expat. Lovely man. Will be a huge loss for RL in York. RIP John.  

• Like 4

Beer and York Knights. Proof the God loves us and wants us to be happy. 🍺🏉

Really enjoyed today , the valkeryie are a pleasure to watch and i do hope they make the wembley final , The knights got the 2 points but it was edge of the seat stuff, praise must go to hendo who has a different team playing every week , anyway get through these tough times and iam sure there is a good side there waiting to please us.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

Really enjoyed today , the valkeryie are a pleasure to watch and i do hope they make the wembley final , The knights got the 2 points but it was edge of the seat stuff, praise must go to hendo who has a different team playing every week , anyway get through these tough times and iam sure there is a good side there waiting to please us.

Thought it was a great atmosphere yesterday. Nerves probably played a part. 😳

• Like 1

Beer and York Knights. Proof the God loves us and wants us to be happy. 🍺🏉

53 minutes ago, White Knight said:

Thought it was a great atmosphere yesterday. Nerves probably played a part. 😳

I enjoyed it too - thought I'd get bored after the first 30 points of the Valkyrie game, but that pack is so well drilled and relentless, it was a pleasure to watch them at work.

As for the Knights, we did look lightweight and flimsy at times against a physically much bigger side, but eventually got the job done. The return of Fitzimmons, Antrobus, Jessie Dee and Kirmo will stiffen us up no end.

The total lack of game management from both sides (thought London's was worse than ours!) probably added to the entertainment 😄

Why AJ Towse wasn't given POM is a complete mystery to me - three great tries, great in defence and looking so confident under the high ball.....

• Like 4

Think A J will make a brilliant fullback in the future , as said connor fitz and bailey sorely missed , not everyones favourite but P P is probably our only forward who can break a tackle ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RBKnight said:

I enjoyed it too - thought I'd get bored after the first 30 points of the Valkyrie game, but that pack is so well drilled and relentless, it was a pleasure to watch them at work.

As for the Knights, we did look lightweight and flimsy at times against a physically much bigger side, but eventually got the job done. The return of Fitzimmons, Antrobus, Jessie Dee and Kirmo will stiffen us up no end.

The total lack of game management from both sides (thought London's was worse than ours!) probably added to the entertainment 😄

Why AJ Towse wasn't given POM is a complete mystery to me - three great tries, great in defence and looking so confident under the high ball.....

Agree totally about AJ, as good as Jubby is week in week out AJ was outstanding and for a young lad he is strong and gutsy, I think he will go on t be a standout player in Super League if he keeps progressing and maturing as he has since coming to the Knights. As for the returnees (when they get back) yes we will be a different proposition, Realistically I can see us making the playoffs if and it is a big if we can keep a relatively settled side with two half backs for the remainder of the season. 

Edited by Expatknight
Typo
  • Like 2

It's all an interesting read as ever.

I feared the worst when I saw Bailey, The Ghost and Cunningham were missing but credit the lads for a decent shift (and the win) against what I reckon is an under-rated Broncos side. Lets be honest, we won't face a better centre all season and I include Leilua and all the other high profile names. As a spectacle, it was a fabulous watch and I can see why the new fans who came yesterday say they will be back.

We seem to be on a bit of a forward bashing crusade at the mo but Taia had his best game in a Knights shirt, Jubby was non-stop as ever, Oli Field continues to mature and fit in, Clarky was good while he was on with a try and a great assist and if anyone one tells me Tommo is anything less than superb then I'll tell you you know nowt about RL!                            As for the others, Marshy was back to his best, tormenting London down that left side attack, AJ was fantastic all day, young Oli Pratt was playing against what Fordy would have called 'a ball of lions' and did well, Gloves was just Gloves - tackled everything that was within tackling range, and then some. Browney, bless him, didn't see much ball.                    That leaves the half backs - Hingano oozes class with the occasional forced pass that won't go but his kicking game was really good and then the bloke who flew under the radar, Josh Daley who quietly went about his game, buzzing around, prompting and committing tacklers.

I thought it was a good, gritty, tenacious win that will look better as the season progresses cos London are gonna knock a few sides off, for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, andyacko said:

I feared the worst when I saw Bailey, The Ghost and Cunningham were missing but credit the lads for a decent shift (and the win) against what I reckon is an under-rated Broncos side. Lets be honest, we won't face a better centre all season and I include Leilua and all the other high profile names. As a spectacle, it was a fabulous watch and I can see why the new fans who came yesterday say they will be back.

We seem to be on a bit of a forward bashing crusade at the mo but Taia had his best game in a Knights shirt, Jubby was non-stop as ever, Oli Field continues to mature and fit in, Clarky was good while he was on with a try and a great assist and if anyone one tells me Tommo is anything less than superb then I'll tell you you know nowt about RL!                            As for the others, Marshy was back to his best, tormenting London down that left side attack, AJ was fantastic all day, young Oli Pratt was playing against what Fordy would have called 'a ball of lions' and did well, Gloves was just Gloves - tackled everything that was within tackling range, and then some. Browney, bless him, didn't see much ball.                    That leaves the half backs - Hingano oozes class with the occasional forced pass that won't go but his kicking game was really good and then the bloke who flew under the radar, Josh Daley who quietly went about his game, buzzing around, prompting and committing tacklers.

I thought it was a good, gritty, tenacious win that will look better as the Thanks progresses cos London are gonna knock a few sides off, for sure.

Thanks Andy, always enjoy your take on the games, couldn't listen yesterday I'm in Leeds hospital with a couple of Bulls fans, didn't get a murmur from them after 5 pm lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Expatknight said:

Yes. So. so sad. John lived and breathed rugby league, and York rugby league at that, and was such a lovely gent. Hope someone will post details of the funeral.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, andyacko said:

I thought it was a good, gritty, tenacious win that will look better as the season progresses cos London are gonna knock a few sides off, for sure.

That's it then Andy! I won't bother as you've summed it up perfectly. My thoughts entirely. As for John Stabler, you've said that too. He was an absolute toff. A gentleman. When you consider how popular he was and his Methley cricketing associates in addition to his rugby side and his work, I think the venue for his funeral will have to be very, very large. York Minster might do.

• Like 3