Doncaster away.

With this poorest of fixture list are Town going backwards or are we not as good as we all expected at first.  Big gaps with no games for weeks and only beating bottom clubs by either a few points or last minute drop goals, etc. This isn’t going to draw crowds back!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

6 minutes ago, Keith T said:

With this poorest of fixture list are Town going backwards or are we not as good as we all expected at first.  Big gaps with no games for weeks and only beating bottom clubs by either a few points or last minute drop goals, etc. This isn’t going to draw crowds back!!!!

I don’t think I expected anything from this year. Didn’t listen to the game but obviously we were well beaten. One thing Donny have got is bags of experience, 3 of our starting pack were playing community rugby last year so I don’t think we could expect miracles. Every game is a learning curve for a lot of our team, all we can hope is that they learn and comeback better for the experience. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Thought we’d lose today but not get smashed by 40 

You honestly weren't that bad mate. Didn't make many errors. Just didn't seem to offer a way through our defence. Thats our best performance in a few years tbh so I wouldn't panic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well absolutely zero positives to give from that game,  hopeless in attack , effort but not enough and paper thin defence. Why after we ran them close last time? We just looked half hearted in the warm up and it extended into the game. We missed Caine of course .

48 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

Well absolutely zero positives to give from that game,  hopeless in attack , effort but not enough and paper thin defence. Why after we ran them close last time? We just looked half hearted in the warm up and it extended into the game. We missed Caine of course .

Our lack of options in attack have been obvious all season I'm afraid

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Townie987 said:

4 out of 6.

beat by top 2 teams. 
top team game in hand. 
Homeandawayer. That negativity and misery  is at odds with the people who were there. Were you? 

How could you get anything positive out of it ? If you did you're easily pleased. I spent 6 hours in a car and a tank of fuel to watch rubbish..i've done it before and i'll do it again. Pleased you enjoyed your day.

• Like 3

a

2 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

How could you get anything positive out of it ? If you did you're easily pleased. I spent 6 hours in a car and a tank of fuel to watch rubbish..i've done it before and i'll do it again. Pleased you enjoyed your day.

Ii

11 hours ago, Townie987 said:

4 out of 6.

beat by top 2 teams. 
top team game in hand. 
Homeandawayer. That negativity and misery  is at odds with the people who were there. Were you? 

Appreciate we are in are building phase and I didn't expect to win every game but even in the 4 out of 6 you mention we have been a bit clunky, I personally think team was playing better football at the beginning of the season  

14 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

Well absolutely zero positives to give from that game,  hopeless in attack 

I think many of us have noticed that this season. Do you think we need an experienced half-back to work off (and learn from) while we're in this "re-building stage" ?

8 minutes ago, DocH said:

I think many of us have noticed that this season. Do you think we need an experienced half-back to work off (and learn from) while we're in this "re-building stage" ?

Just saying what i see in the words of Roy Walker that Mallinson doesn't seem to be what we need, you don't notice him most of the time which isn't good for a halfback. We were just flat in all areas and we all know that when you're being out enthused there's not a lot the halves can do so it's not relevant in terms of yesterday but longer term yeah of course experience counts for a lot.

2 hours ago, DocH said:

We have that in Buffer, unfortunately his injury has taken that option away, he works well with Walker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DocH said:

100%

• Like 1

Just saying what i see in the words of Roy Walker that Mallinson doesn't seem to be what we need, you don't notice him most of the time which isn't good for a halfback. We were just flat in all areas and we all know that when you're being out enthused there's not a lot the halves can do so it's not relevant in terms of yesterday but longer term yeah of course experience counts for a lot.

I'm not the coach who sees the guys weeks  week out in training but for mine, Malinson doesn't seem to offer anything extra to Simpson or Blaine for that matter

15 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

Regardless of wether I’m easily pleased or not, we have a very inexperienced side and yesterday that showed. One massive positive  was they never gave in. Previous Town sides with lots more experience would’ve crumbled and it could have been a much bigger score line. They kept pushing back at Doncaster throughout the 80 mins and you have to applaud Doncaster for playing the best they’ve done in years. 

We maybe did scrape wins coming from behind, but that shows they are never giving in and want to play for the coach. Like I said, previous Town teams wouldn’t have won them games 

• Like 3

A lot of this team were playing NCL 3 or Cumberland league last year as long as they do their best and develop that's good enough. They're going to get poor results now and again. Remember only last year players costing a lot more were trying a lot less. I'd much rather watch this team, that's for sure.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Townie987 said:

Regardless of wether I’m easily pleased or not, we have a very inexperienced side and yesterday that showed. One massive positive  was they never gave in. Previous Town sides with lots more experience would’ve crumbled and it could have been a much bigger score line. They kept pushing back at Doncaster throughout the 80 mins and you have to applaud Doncaster for playing the best they’ve done in years. 

We maybe did scrape wins coming from behind, but that shows they are never giving in and want to play for the coach. Like I said, previous Town teams wouldn’t have won them games 

I'm not denying that we have a largely amateur squad because that's not what i said did i? I said there weren't any positives , you think one was them not giving in and that's your opinion ..fair enough. Not giving in i would say is the most basic role of any team and should be a given, Donny did play well and we didn't.  It's one game, bad day at the office and it was whatever you say,  we move on and show we're better than that, rough with the smooth n all that. I'd prefer it if expectations were high of returning to the championship, but i agree with you this an inexperienced squad and that's not going to happen this season .

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Number8 said:

A lot of this team were playing NCL 3 or Cumberland league last year as long as they  do their best and develop that's good enough. They're going to get poor results now and again. Remember only last year players costing a lot more were trying a lot less. I'd much rather watch this team, that's for sure.

You obviously were not at the game - it was diabolcal. Cannoot make excuses for that display.

27 minutes ago, Number8 said:

A lot of this team were playing NCL 3 or Cumberland league last year as long as they do their best and develop that's good enough. They're going to get poor results now and again. Remember only last year players costing a lot more were trying a lot less. I'd much rather watch this team, that's for sure.

Y

• Like 1