Metres vs Yards

Half a dozen of one, 6.56 of another. 

I don't know the answer but I always assumed the 22 metre line in union was due to converting 25 yards, although checking the math it appears to be closer to 23m.

On the flip side, I also thought that the 110 yard CFL field was due to converting a sensible 100m field into yards to better align with the neighbours. 

Curious to see if anyone has some good historical knowledge. 

I have no idea about metres and yards in terms of rugby league history, but the UK went to the metric system in the 60s, so it stands to reason that before that yards were probably the preferred measurement.

• Like 1

I’m sure I recall a tap 25 rather than a tap 20 after the ball ran dead due to it being yards rather than metres. I’d be pretty sure RL used to be yards. Not sure when it changed officially. 

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Is there a reason for this?

Yes we never truly went over to the funny foreign measuring system.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

Yes we never truly went over to the funny foreign measuring system.

Nobody ever does. I was watching a GAA game and one of the pundits was on about an area of the field "between the 21 and the 45".

That's the 21 yard line and the 45 metre line.

• Confused 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Yards and Metres are pretty interchangeable, being roughly the same in distance. It's just our vernacular, you make yards going forward. Just like you drink a pint and never roughly 1/2 a litre of ale.

And cold temperatures are reported in °C and heat in °F

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Yards and Metres are pretty interchangeable, being roughly the same in distance. It's just our vernacular, you make yards going forward. Just like you drink a pint and never roughly 1/2 a litre of ale.

If I was 68ml short though, I'd ask for a top-up 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I’m sure I recall a tap 25 rather than a tap 20 after the ball ran dead due to it being yards rather than metres. I’d be pretty sure RL used to be yards. Not sure when it changed officially. 

IIRC it used to be a tap 25 (Y) then it became a tap 22 (M) then  a tap 20 (M). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

And cold temperatures are reported in °C and heat in °F

I was at school when Celsius (nee Centigrade) had recently become a thing, I never really understood Fahrenheit so have always used C, but my parents generation and the media still do.

Weirdly, we were still taught pounds shillings and pence, despite decimalisation having occurred 7 or 8 years previously.

Edited by David Shepherd
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Does anyone say "I'm going to the game in Hull, it's 85 Km down the M62" though? I don't imagine anyone over a certain age does and would be surprised if even someone aged 25 didn't say "it's X miles" or "my new car can do 110 miles per hour". 

Metric is the more logical system but certain things still hangover from the past. And let's not forget, America still use the imperial system. I have to have tools in both as I often go to US companies whose machines are all in imperial. 

13 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Does anyone say "I'm going to the game in Hull, it's 85 Km down the M62" though? I don't imagine anyone over a certain age does and would be surprised if even someone aged 25 didn't say "it's X miles" or "my new car can do 110 miles per hour". 

Metric is the more logical system but certain things still hangover from the past. And let's not forget, America still use the imperial system. I have to have tools in both as I often go to US companies whose machines are all in imperial. 

Watching Race Across the World and it surprised me that Canada use metric whereas the States use imperial. That must get confusing for drivers crossing the border.

4 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Watching Race Across the World and it surprised me that Canada use metric whereas the States use imperial. That must get confusing for drivers crossing the border.

Genuine sign apparently:

Speed Limits in the United States and Canada | Page 4 | SkyscraperCity Forum

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Half a dozen of one, 6.56 of another. 

I don't know the answer but I always assumed the 22 metre line in union was due to converting 25 yards, although checking the math it appears to be closer to 23m.

On the flip side, I also thought that the 110 yard CFL field was due to converting a sensible 100m field into yards to better align with the neighbours. 

Curious to see if anyone has some good historical knowledge. 

Union changed it's 25 yard line to 22 metres in the 70's (the French have always had more power in the IRB hence why it went early)

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

My kids all use miles and pints (and feet and inches for height).  Everything else is in that funny new forrin system.

Edited by David Shepherd

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

Even though the UK officially has switched to metric its still illegal to use use metric on almost all road signs on the UK road network without a legal exemption order, hence why speed limits are still in MPH and destination distances still in miles. There are some exceptions for signs like height & weight restrictions which can be displayed in both metric & imperial due to the risk of damage from foreign lorry drivers who don't understand the imperial system. The cost of switching will be in the £Bn's so there's no chance of it changing anytime soon.

• Thanks 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

22 minutes ago, BadlyOverdrawnBoy said:

The Aussies changed to metric in 1970, yet the commentators still say things like "Dominic Young is six foot seven."

I stand to be corrected here but as I recall (many many years ago in college) I remember being told that the UK officially turned metric in 1967. Obviously no-one used it for a few years but supposedly we were 'officially' then. 

Money was the first 'metric' change that people had to get used to I suppose. 

24 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I think feet and inches for someone's height are pretty standard throughout the Anglosphere.

I well remember the chant at various places like football etc "6'2" dressed in blue, he must be a f***** screw". These things would never have worked in metric. 

• Like 1