Sunday 14th May: L1: Workington Town V Oldham: KO 3.00pm, Derwent Park, Workington

Bedford Roughyed

3 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

It was odd. On the commentary they said Cameron then the stadium announcer changed it to Hirst so I edited my post. 

Definetly Cameron. Although youre right announcer did say Hirst

Edited by herbie
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Sounds like Luke Nelmes made a big difference coming back on.

Luke Nelmes was outstanding yesterday. Constantly making great yards, taking 3 or 4 defenders to stop him and also worked tirelessly in defence. Once we cut the errors out, we looked much fitter and better organised than Town and Riddy's kicking game dominated field position. Gritty determined win in Cumbria against a big, tough side. Can't wait for this Sunday. A full house and hopefully another win for the lads. 

• Like 3

Fantastic win, the conditions certainly suited the Cumbrian outfit. Once we stopped making basic handling errors we were very dominant. Also thought the officiating was of very poor standard for the second week on the bounce. The difference between this group and last season is so much better, we would have lost that one last season. The signings of Baker Meadows Wilkinson and Ah Van have been superb, we are 2 or 3 quality players away from walking this league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManchesterYed said:

Fantastic win, the conditions certainly suited the Cumbrian outfit. Once we stopped making basic handling errors we were very dominant. Also thought the officiating was of very poor standard for the second week on the bounce. The difference between this group and last season is so much better, we would have lost that one last season. The signings of Baker Meadows Wilkinson and Ah Van have been superb, we are 2 or 3 quality players away from walking this league. 

I think Dewsbury might have something to say about that 🤣

1 hour ago, chiefgeneral said:

I think Dewsbury might have something to say about that 🤣

Confused with this comment? I expect Dewsbury to walk away with this league my point is we are not far off being a good side, the core of the team is of a good quality and a team I’ve enjoyed watching this season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ManchesterYed said:

Confused with this comment? I expect Dewsbury to walk away with this league my point is we are not far off being a good side, the core of the team is of a good quality and a team I’ve enjoyed watching this season. 

'we are 2 or 3 quality players away from walking this league' 

Even with 2 or 3 quality additions i don't think we'd walk the league. Dewsbury are a quality outfit 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jroyales said:

They pinched our best player from last season.

If we have Kevin Moore again I'd expect the Rams to just sneak it.

I agree, restall was outstanding last season, however I think we more than replaced him with McNally. Going to be tough, but we can't be champions without facing the best and overcoming them. Sunday will show which team has the fortitude and indomitable spirit. And we are at home in a 'stadium' where the crowd are all but on the pitch. 

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 2

I watched them beat Widnes in the Cup (on tv) and they were very big and strong. No weak links anywhere on the park as I could see.  I think it was John Kear who commentated that they look like a Championship side playing in League 1. It will take a mighty effort for the full 80 minutes to keep them close.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2023 at 08:18, Roughyed Rats said:

Luke Nelmes was outstanding yesterday. Constantly making great yards, taking 3 or 4 defenders to stop him and also worked tirelessly in defence. Once we cut the errors out, we looked much fitter and better organised than Town and Riddy's kicking game dominated field position. Gritty determined win in Cumbria against a big, tough side. Can't wait for this Sunday. A full house and hopefully another win for the lads. 

Good summing up RR. I was a bit disappointed with the website match report this week. We all know what a good win that was, always is in Cumbria. But the website didn't really reflect the excitement we all felt on the way home. It's our club website, it should have been full of it. Poor Joe Hartley can't have been too impressed, scored the two tries that won us the game & his first mention was of a knock-on he made that led to an early try for Town! I'm guessing Roger isn't writing the reports anymore, hope all is well . 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jimmy DoNut said:

Good summing up RR. I was a bit disappointed with the website match report this week. We all know what a good win that was, always is in Cumbria. But the website didn't really reflect the excitement we all felt on the way home. It's our club website, it should have been full of it. Poor Joe Hartley can't have been too impressed, scored the two tries that won us the game & his first mention was of a knock-on he made that led to an early try for Town! I'm guessing Roger isn't writing the reports anymore, hope all is well . 

It doesn't read like a Roger report but I think he still writes a lot of the background stuff which I enjoy reading. Years of reading the Chron means you can spot his style a mile off. I was impressed how Joe Hartley picked himself up after a couple of early mistakes. Tells you a lot about a player that. The journey back was certainly made better by what was a very good result.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, chiefgeneral said:

'we are 2 or 3 quality players away from walking this league' 

Even with 2 or 3 quality additions i don't think we'd walk the league. Dewsbury are a quality outfit 

Nah, you aren't really any good - it says so on the Workington forum.

Being serious I think comments like theirs that they threw the match away, implying you weren't any better, are very disrespectful of a side that came away with a good victory. Sore losers can only see their own team, apparently.

Looking forward to another tough game on Sunday.

• Like 3

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Nah, you aren't really any good - it says so on the Workington forum.

Being serious I think comments like theirs that they threw the match away, implying you weren't any better, are very disrespectful of a side that came away with a good victory. Sore losers can only see their own team, apparently.

Looking forward to another tough game on Sunday.

Well, my view is if we play bad and win, then just wait till we play well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2