Thur 11th May: SL: Wakefield Trinity v Hull FC KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/05/23 at 19:30

Just now, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Who gives a about promotion?! All we'd end up seeing is what we're dishing up right now.

The championship without Fev or Toulouse is winnable. Wakefield will be up there without the big paying contracts!

5 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Who gives a XXXX about promotion?! All we'd end up seeing is what we're dishing up right now.

Was thinking that, who would want another season of this anytime soon? Hope you can get to the end of the season in one peice as a club and regroup next season

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Andrewj said:

Unfortunately for Wakefield every year they have relied upon the prompted team to keep them up. Including voting to give the prompted team less money but finally the chickens have come home to roost....poor at best including their facilities!!

That's factually incorrect. Must be quite some time since that occurred if it ever has? Nearest recent was 2019 when we beat London in last game of season to end up 2 points clear of them but also above Shudds and HKR. Had we lost HKR would probably have been relegated on points difference, but we didn't.

Some other ignorant numpty posted the same fantasy tale a few weeks back.  Copy and paste saving me some time.

• Like 4

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

12 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Who gives a XXXX about promotion?! All we'd end up seeing is what we're dishing up right now.

Because after next season  entry into SL will be invitation only.Almost a closed shop so Wakey would have to take their chance with the points system.

1 minute ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Because after next season  entry into SL will be invitation only.Almost a closed shop so Wakey would have to take their chance with the points system.

We are so poor on the pitch currently that we probably have more chance with the points system.

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

32 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Also Toronto were paying SBW more than the salary cap limit so that's a red herring.

Not really, arnt the rules that any SL team can pay 2 players what ever they like and it only counts as around £100,000 on the cap?

That's probably how Wire had Widdop and Williams on mega wages last season (William even more now apparently)

Just now, Mr Frisky said:

Not really, arnt the rules that any SL team can pay 2 players what ever they like and it only counts as around £100,000 on the cap?

That's probably how Wire had Widdop and Williams on mega wages last season (William even more now apparently)

All within the rules, but doesn't sound like a team who are worrying about the lack of central funding.  

• Like 2

Another little step in the right direction. We weren't great by any means but once again we fronted up, worked hard, and managed to produce a few little moments of quality when we needed them.

That said, Wakefield look like a team that would struggle to make an impact in the Championship. They try hard, and actually there are aspects of their game that are ok. Defensively they aren't awful, and they don't really struggle to make metres either. But they don't have an ounce of flair or creativity about them.

• Like 3

I was hoping the Warrington performance was the start of an upturn in fortunes but sadly we returned to type this evening.  We are a poor side lacking any idea and fitness.  Thing is the standard of SL is that poor this season it wouldn’t take much to have at least a mid table finish.   

Up the Trin 

1 hour ago, Andrewj said:

Unfortunately for Wakefield every year they have relied upon the prompted team to keep them up. Including voting to give the prompted team less money but finally the chickens have come home to roost....poor at best including their facilities!!

We had no or little SL money in our first 2 years in SL and still stayed up, I can’t recall us finishing 2nd bottom.

Up the Trin 

37 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Sky have picked some absolutely stinkin Thursday fixtures this season haven't they.

The downfall of them picking tv fixtures so far in advance, Warrington v KR would have made a much better game to put on TV

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

The downfall of them picking tv fixtures so far in advance, Warrington v KR would have made a much better game to put on TV

It was bad timing for them that Hull had just won two in a row as well. A few weeks ago they could have maybe billed it as a massive game in the relegation battle. But it ended up a bit of a nothing fixture and the quality wasn't great. I can't imagine many neutrals really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

I'd imagine they won't bother putting us on again this season. Our own fans are bored watching us. The stats don't lie. Worst attack in SL history, I'd say its the worst in RL history. The defence holds out for so long but the utter failure with tye ball in hand builds pressure and cracks appear. If you can't score points the opposition know once they get 2 scores up it's job done.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

I'd imagine they won't bother putting us on again this season. Our own fans are bored watching us. The stats don't lie. Worst attack in SL history, I'd say its the worst in RL history. The defence holds out for so long but the utter failure with tye ball in hand builds pressure and cracks appear. If you can't score points the opposition know once they get 2 scores up it's job done.

I have to agree, the lack of creativity near the line is poor. Your point regarding teams getting two scores up on Wakefield is spot on.  

• Like 2

Don't despair Wakey fans, its about 20 years since Fax had the worst season in SL history but to be truthful we have had some great times in the Championship, certainly better than we would have had just making the numbers up in SL. Also with the new closed shop system coming in to place the championship will only get better as teams stop spending money on the field and we end up with an even more competitive league than we have now.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Don't despair Wakey fans, its about 20 years since Fax had the worst season in SL history but to be truthful we have had some great times in the Championship, certainly better than we would have had just making the numbers up in SL. Also with the new closed shop system coming in to place the championship will only get better as teams stop spending money on the field and we end up with an even more competitive league than we have now.

How does that work then stop spending money ? Where will the players come from seeing as we can't have academy's or A teams ? Not a dig Oxy i may have read it wrong.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing,regardless of who is bottom of league EVERY team should get games on tv,fans pay good money for Sky and some can't get to games so can watch them on tv occasionally.

36 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

How does that work then stop spending money ? Where will the players come from seeing as we can't have academy's or A teams ? Not a dig Oxy i may have read it wrong.

I agree with Oxy that teams won't need to spend money on players as SL will become a closed shop again.So all the clubs have to play for is being top of the league and Champions.There would be less need for a top of table play off.Perhaps teams will go back playing for win money and less money for losing.However there will be opportunity to bring more young players through in to the team with the race for SL gone.I think Championship gates will drop 30/40%.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I agree with Oxy that teams won't need to spend money on players as SL will become a closed shop again.So all the clubs have to play for is being top of the league and Champions.There would be less need for a top of table play off.Perhaps teams will go back playing for win money and less money for losing.However there will be opportunity to bring more young players through in to the team with the race for SL gone.I think Championship gates will drop 30/40%.

I can see what you are saying but I think it could have the opposite effect on attendances, the product being presented to the fans should improve, just look at how good the Championship has been this season, some fantastic games from top to bottom, if you are a true fan of your team you will follow them no matter what league you are in and as far as neutrals go you will get good entertainment and value for money, unlike watching some Super League fixtures. What the Championship and League 1 need to do is market their product properly, the clubs need to embrace the product and again market it accordingly. In reality there are very few clubs outside the current Super League who could a) get into Super League, b) stay there or indeed survive .