Former Salford Red Devils owner declared bankrupt.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Knighton did actually have *some* money though. Not sure Marwan ever did.

Knighton was within days of buying 50% of Man United for £10m... would have been the steal of the century. Amazing to think back on that versus the Qatari and Ineos bids now 

• Like 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

31 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Knighton was within days of buying 50% of Man United for £10m... would have been the steal of the century. Amazing to think back on that versus the Qatari and Ineos bids now 

Yeap Knighton was a very clever conman who unfortunately turned his attentions to Carlisle Utd,built a new stand & then “rented” it back to the club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

If only that Rovers player wasn't too fair, and held the Salford lad down instead of him getting an extra play the ball!

As a Salford fan, extremely grateful to the lad! Delighted HKR recovered from relegation. Not so sure that Salford would have done.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, johnh1 said:

As a Salford fan, extremely grateful to the lad! Delighted HKR recovered from relegation. Not so sure that Salford would have done.

To be fair that's true, we were always pretty confident of coming back, knew we had the financial resilience to out-compete in the Championship. The owner had a wobble for a few days, as you would if it was your money, but the fans bought even more memberships than the last Super League season and it turned into a real blitz spirit, all in it together. With hindsight it was an enjoyable year to be honest, made a bit of a change.

It didn't feel like that when Marwan staged his pathetic little pitch invasion with a bunch of leery scrotes rubbing our nose in it though. But for a club like Salford it could have been existential event, I get that now. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Well decency tells me to wish all concerned a speedy resolution. 

A fair appraisal of his time in RL is mixed to say the least.

The overwhelming feeling is gratitude. He was thankfully place to stabilize SRD after the previous owners left the club in a right pickle.

Happy he generated a buzz about the place which arguably has led to the current modest belief and success.

However this appreciation is mixed with cringe. The seemingly wine fuelled tweets, the salary cap breaches, the numerous never fulfilled ambitions-water park, NRL club, name change, the shocking errors like ditching the Academy and the plethora of has and never been players. Plus corralling the likes of Chase, Hock  and Smith might have looked good on paper, but in reality, ah well.......

I accidentally met yet man a number of times, once when we both had the same Barbour jacket, another time when he was with his then wife snapping up cheap bargains at M and S Outlet. The conclusion being was he really wealthy as suggested or a very convincing up market barker?

Irrespective whether he was or not, his legacy does make you consider how the Game embraces new investors. There is this distinctive reactionary fishwifery against the new whether they are made high-like Marwan or lowly like the community shares. It rankles. The small town narrow mindedness that gave us Boris or Brexit, brought to sport. 

But part of me thinks collectively the Game needs to , foster new shoots. Manage their egos, direct their monies better. Argyle and Koukash may have invested £10m, but really is anything there to show for it? Certainly navigate them away from the likes of Noble or Harris, who in my opinion gave some startling ruinous advice.

We move on.

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 2

This is a shame. A once rich man it seems that walked the walk.

A benefactor of a club that without him, could be languishing in Champ 1 or maybe worse.

We may not have liked his methods, but he is one of very few people to have invested vast sums of money into the sport. I only wish it turned out better for him.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Well decency tells me to wish all concerned a speedy resolution. 

A fair appraisal of his time in RL is mixed to say the least.

The overwhelming feeling is gratitude. He was thankfully place to stabilize SRD after the previous owners left the club in a right pickle.

Happy he generated a buzz about the place which arguably has led to the current modest belief and success.

However this appreciation is mixed with cringe. The seemingly wine fuelled tweets, the salary cap breaches, the numerous never fulfilled ambitions-water park, NRL club, name change, the shocking errors like ditching the Academy and the plethora of has and never been players. Plus corralling the likes of Chase, Hock  and Smith might have looked good on paper, but in reality, ah well.......

I accidentally met yet man a number of times, once when we both had the same Barbour jacket, another time when he was with his then wife snapping up cheap bargains at M and S Outlet. The conclusion being was he really wealthy as suggested or a very convincing up market barker?

Irrespective whether he was or not, his legacy does make you consider how the Game embraces new investors. There is this distinctive reactionary fishwifery against the new whether they are made high-like Marwan or lowly like the community shares. It rankles. The small town narrow mindedness that gave us Boris or Brexit, brought to sport. 

But part of me thinks collectively the Game needs to , foster new shoots. Manage their egos, direct their monies better. Argyle and Koukash may have invested £10m, but really is there to show for it? Certainly navigate them away from the likes of Noble or Harris, who in my opinion gave some startling ruinous advice.

We move on.

Make that 25 Million for DA

What currency?

Actually it doesn't matter. Still alot. Funny that Nobler was advising at both. And sad that on both DA and MK's part that investment in lesser headline/immediate matters like say Academies would have been more long lasting.

On 10/05/2023 at 21:58, Padge said:

Extremely rich people who go bankrupt very rarely finish up with nothing.

I expect that his wife is still quite wealthy.  😉

• Thanks 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 10/05/2023 at 21:58, Padge said:

Extremely rich people who go bankrupt very rarely finish up with nothing.

I would imagine all the assets of value were not registered in his name.....wonder who it was that decided to issue the petition & what the level of debt was.

4 hours ago, Gavin Harrison said:

Where did you learn that from?

It's in the Bankruptcy Petition.

Maybe a  family settlement/ court order has not been met. 4 of us is an expert on this sort of thing

Problem with this type of action tends to be that everybody else who says they are owed takes a  fairly cheap ride on the  back of the case in the hope of getting something back - invariably messy but Petition recipients at this level rarely end up poor.  Lawrence Dalaglio for instance is not going to end up on a social housing waiting  list , nor will Marvin......

On 12/05/2023 at 10:07, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

To be fair that's true, we were always pretty confident of coming back, knew we had the financial resilience to out-compete in the Championship. The owner had a wobble for a few days, as you would if it was your money, but the fans bought even more memberships than the last Super League season and it turned into a real blitz spirit, all in it together. With hindsight it was an enjoyable year to be honest, made a bit of a change.

It didn't feel like that when Marwan staged his pathetic little pitch invasion with a bunch of leery scrotes rubbing our nose in it though. But for a club like Salford it could have been existential event, I get that now. 

The whole club rallied after relegation I think everyone knew we had to get back at the first attempt. Myself I think it was far from inevitable because unlike now, being the best in the championship wasn't enough.  The infernal 'middle 8's' required you to be better than at least one Super League club who would be on at least £1m more from central funding.

One factor often overlooked was that the top championship team (us) got in the region of £750k central funding that year.

Although that left huge shortfall of £1m on the previous year it was significantly better than what's on offer now and along with the incredible crowds we got in the championship enabled us to field a good team. Good enough to finish 3rd out of 8  in the middle 8's and secure promotion. 4th and we would have been in the dreadful million pound lottery game again.

I'm quite sure that if we had missed out it would have been all the harder thereafter. I don't think that Salford would have had any chance if they had gone down. All the while bottom club Huddersfield survived. If Terry Campese's DG  had gone over instead of hitting the post in our middle 8 game it would have been them and not us in the million pound game.

These fine margins can determine the whole future of a club. That's why I support the IMG proposals to protect the fundamentally strong clubs.

Edited by DimmestStar