Report: 2025 World Cup on verge of collapse

You reap what you sow. 

The lack of groundwork has meant the whole international game has no real foundations. 

To think we can just stage four huge world cups combined when we don't even stage proper credible internationals in the country most years is just stupid. 

Our arrogance and burying our head in the sand last year led to some real average off field performance in rlwc21 and it's hard to see how France 25 could do well. 

I desperate hope something can be resolved, because I'd have loved to have gone over there for plenty of games. 

But tbh, I'm not far off done with international RL. 

• Like 9

Here's an idea   a bit left field,  but unique.

A WC in four different countries,  as Euro 2020( 2021) was played in different cities, we have a RL WC , four groups of four, one group each played in Australia,  New Zealand,  France and England.

No sport has ever tried that,  so it would grab headlines for that reason alone. A true " World" Cup.

Matches down under kicking off normal times, so between 8 and 11 am in England, then the France group about 5pm local,  and the England group game at 8pm local.

One match a day from each group,  all TGG supporters feel part of it, all get matches to see locally.  It would be cost effective too,  less teams traversing the globe, low carbon footprint as well.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

You think so? Maybe you're right.

My thoughts were that the British government have only just publicly funded one unprofitable RL WC, are they likely to fund another just four years later?

Will the Aussie government chip in if Australia put their hands up to host because we all know the attendances won’t be much to write home about if they do?

11 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Here's an idea   a bit left field,  but unique.

A WC in four different countries,  as Euro 2020( 2021) was played in different cities, we have a RL WC , four groups of four, one group each played in Australia,  New Zealand,  France and England.

No sport has ever tried that,  so it would grab headlines for that reason alone. A true " World" Cup.

Matches down under kicking off normal times, so between 8 and 11 am in England, then the France group about 5pm local,  and the England group game at 8pm local.

One match a day from each group,  all TGG supporters feel part of it, all get matches to see locally.  It would be cost effective too,  less teams traversing the globe, low carbon footprint as well.

What happens when it comes to the knockout stages?

38 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

You think so? Maybe you're right.

My thoughts were that the British government have only just publicly funded one unprofitable RL WC, are they likely to fund another just four years later?

Was it unprofitable? Have you a source for this?

The recent World Cup ploughed many millions into RL infrastructure in this country and paid a rights fee to the IRL for the first time. If it was unprofitable outside of these things then the overwhelming cause was the actions of the NRL in sabotaging it taking place in 2021 and causing a year's delay.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

I'm reading that as saying that the central government funding was dependent on local governments putting up their own money - and not enough local governments (if any at all) have done so.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

What happens when it comes to the knockout stages?

Good question,  the obvious answer is a QF in each country, semis one each in England and Australia final in Australia as last one was in England. France get to host a WC group without huge cost, Australia hopefully embrace a WC , on doorstep for their own matches and Kiwi's. TV will be enticing too, four games spread over the whole day. In Australia,  two peak hours games for Australia and NZ group games, breakfast for England matches.  In England the reverse, breakfast viewing for Aus and NZ group games, peak for England group games, early evening for France group games.

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

I assume you mean what you deem is right for the game?

What’s to say the vision and actions of the most progressive governing body of our sport, which draws more supporters than any Rugby competition on the planet is wrong and the thoughts of a few on a forum are correct?

I don’t think it’s a problem. I think the NRL’s approach to international footy looks far more successful than 8k at Warrington.

So their self interest is better than others self interest because their self interest (the domestic league) makes money? Gotcha. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Good question,  the obvious answer is a QF in each country, semis one each in England and Australia final in Australia as last one was in England. France get to host a WC group without huge cost, Australia hopefully embrace a WC , on doorstep for their own matches and Kiwi's. TV will be enticing too, four games spread over the whole day. In Australia,  two peak hours games for Australia and NZ group games, breakfast for England matches.  In England the reverse, breakfast viewing for Aus and NZ group games, peak for England group games, early evening for France group games.

I’m with you until it comes to the eventual finalists from Europe having to travel Down Under to play the final. They’d have next to no chance of winning the WC.

Edited by Gomersall

12 minutes ago, fcl said:

The Organizing Committee of the Rugby XIII World Cup scheduled for France in 2025 is multiplying meetings between the Ministry of Sports and the State to provide financial guarantees that are slow to arrive.

English journalist John Davidson announced this Friday that FFR XIII could give up the organization of the 2025 World Cup. The organizing committee of this 17th edition and the International Federation must hold a meeting to clarify the situation. The leaders, who have been working on the organization of France 2025 since the summer of 2021, six months before the official announcement by the then Prime Minister, Jean Castex, on January 11, 2022.

But since then, the difficulty encountered by the Organizing Committee in finding the host cities is very real according to our information. The state has also revised its financial intentions downwards between inflation, but also Paris 2024 and the Rugby World Cup organized in France this autumn. Two major competitions that experience budget overruns.

Recall that France wishes to organize four tournaments for this 2025 World Cup, between the U19, the women, the XIII armchair and the boys. That is 128 matches, on 40 stadiums and during the five weeks of competitions.

Difficulties in finding host cities

In an interview given to our title (11 January 2022), the president of FFR XIII, Luc Lacoste, president of the Paris 2025 organizing committee, assured that the budget would be "59 million euros. The idea of a competition throughout the territory, with also medium-sized cities and an economic model where private funds will be in the majority with more than 70% of the budget. This financial package has seduced the government, which will accompany us economically and financially with already operating subsidies from 2022".

The French State and the IRL are therefore demanding accounts two years before the World Cup after the guarantees and promises. Especially since operating costs have been incurred by the state for 15 months between salaries and various expenses. A meeting was organized yesterday in this capacity on Friday, May 12.

Recall that France 2025 was the great project of Luc Lacoste and his teams even before the 2020 elections. He was appointed to the board of directors of the International Federation: the International Rugby League (IRL) last October and he is one of the three members of the European Rugby League (ERL). The sweet dream of finally seeing a Rugby XIII World Cup in France is very uncertain today, which would be a huge blow for the whole movement after successful announcement effects.

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Why? To improve England’s chances?

How long do they have to have been “brought up” there to satisfy criteria?

What if they were born there, moved country, then moved back and then moved again?

What if an Australian born to NZ parents with Tongan grandparents through the father and Samoan grandparents through the mother, moved to France at the age of three and moved to England aged 11 and came through the British system, only to return to Aus aged 18 and turn out in the NRL? Who does he or she get to play for in your criteria?

What if, what if, what if. The rules are there and they are very clear and in my opinion they are very fair and changing to your suggestion is an ignorant swipe to the cultural identities of many of our best players.

The same goes for Eire, Alba and Cymru. I want to hear many Irish accents in the Eire squad. Say 5 years before the age of 16. 

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales

18 hours ago, Madrileño said:

"A three test series"?

Do any sports still do that??

Sounds really old fashioned to me. I cannot imagine it pulling in many younger fans.

I thought cricket have even binned those nowadays!

Rugby union doesn't really have them any more either?

Is this really the way to drag a dying sport into the 21st century?

I can't imagine the Aussies, who know how to market the game... would have any interest in this. 

I disagree with much of that. 

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales

33 minutes ago, LlanWests said:

The same goes for Eire, Alba and Cymru. I want to hear many Irish accents in the Eire squad. Say 5 years before the age of 16. 

While i understand and appreciate your wish. 

It simply wont happen. The Youth structures dont exist and numbers of clubs are too few. As far as i know not a single Irish Rugby League club owns its own facilities. 

The future of Irish Rugby League is in the hands of the children of Irish parents in Australia. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I'm reading that as saying that the central government funding was dependent on local governments putting up their own money - and not enough local governments (if any at all) have done so.

Yes, I think you may be right, and that article from the French newspaper (also posted here by fcl) seems to indicate the same thing… Not enough French cities and towns have supported the bid, as we saw with Avignon (so sad because they attracted 17,000 people to the 2013 World Cup match against New Zealand… It just shows the potential for rugby league in France!)

I remain hopeful but I despair about this … 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, corkonian77 said:

It simply wont happen. The Youth structures dont exist and numbers of clubs are too few. As far as i know not a single Irish Rugby League club owns its own facilities. 

The future of Irish Rugby League is in the hands of the children of Irish parents in Australia. 

I think a more realistic approach would be more optimal. Like trying to get one or two local born players into every squad.

4 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

I think a more realistic approach would be more optimal. Like trying to get one or two local born players into every squad.

Talent is in Ireland but i doubt players are even looked at. 

The Leinster Rugby Union Schools system is producing more players than it can cope with. Ireland is completely dominating the Rugby Union U20s level. Most of those players give up within a few years of that. 

29 minutes ago, corkonian77 said:

Even after all these years, barring West Hull who were gifted their ground by Hull City Council, no Hull community club own their own facilities. Unless someone else knows differently.

20 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

Sam Webb & Ronan Michael at Huddersfield and York respectively prove there’s a pathway that can only get better.

13 minutes ago, corkonian77 said:

Talent is in Ireland but i doubt players are even looked at. 

The Leinster Rugby Union Schools system is producing more players than it can cope with. Ireland is completely dominating the Rugby Union U20s level. Most of those players give up within a few years of that. 

That is absolutely true. I have no doubt that if an academy team could be setup in Ireland that it could do very well, and subsequently a pro club, just on the back of GAA and RU talent. As always finance is the issue. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LlanWests said:

As would I, but the reality of such a decision would be a swipe at the cultural identities of some of the sport’s very best players. I find the grandparent rule to be a fair one.

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

As would I, but the reality of such a decision would be a swipe at the cultural identities of some of the sport’s very best players. I find the grandparent rule to be a fair one.

In the case of Ireland. Every Irish Passport is as good as another. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Will the Aussie government chip in if Australia put their hands up to host because we all know the attendances won’t be much to write home about if they do?

Not sure, but I anticipate there might be a touch of government support. Maybe a joint Aus/NZ and Pacific series is the best option, although as I have mentioned earlier, my bets are still on the French version proceeding.