Report: 2025 World Cup on verge of collapse

15 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

reading between the lines…

Tonga tour England

Oceania Cup with Aus, NZL, Samoa

Oceania Shield with Cook Islands, Fiji, PNG

Samoa tour England

France tour Pacific and play whoever has ‘the bye’ from below and Lebanon.

Oceania Cup with Aus, NZL, Tonga

Oceania Shield with Cook Islands, Fiji, PNG

Yep, I reckon you’re on the money there … 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Sorry to disappoint you but only 13 of those 14 are really heritage players, because one of them moved back to Morocco with his parents at the age of 3 and grew up there.  Thus their team at the FIFA World Cup was half players who grew up in Morocco and half heritage players.

Feel free to try again though.

Okey dokey chief. Morocco 2018 FIFA WC, 17 foreign born players out of 23. 73.9 % heritage players 😂 

22 minutes ago, pahars said:

Okey dokey chief. Morocco 2018 FIFA WC, 17 foreign born players out of 23. 73.9 % heritage players 😂 

But heritage players representing a country that the general populace know football exists. Next you'll tell me that the good folk of Italy, Lebanon and Scotland were huddled around their tv's or radios all agog at what their glorious National RL team was doing.

Edited by HawkMan

14 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

But heritage players representing a country that the general populace know football exists. Next you'll tell me that the good folk of Italy, Lebanon and Scotland were huddled around their tv's or radios all agog at what their glorious National RL team was doing.

What would you suggest as the best way for those populations to become aware of RL ? 

15 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Mate I’m just responding to Big Picture’s ridiculous and wildly inaccurate challenge. 

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

What would you suggest as the best way for those populations to become aware of RL ? 

Interesting question,  it's all about money, investment in grass roots, a long long process. Having a faux national team that the average Joe has no connection with getting spanked probably isn't the answer.

2 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Interesting question,  it's all about money, investment in grass roots, a long long process. Having a faux national team that the average Joe has no connection with getting spanked probably isn't the answer.

Where do you think that investment should come from ?

22 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

As somone that lives in such a country.

It is generally viewed like baseball is viewed in the North of England. 

Lots of people that watch sports know that Rugby League exists. Some people appreciate it and some do not. But like Baseball in the North of England it is alot harder to be emotionally involved with the Sport. 

The sport does get some coverage during the world cup and even kind articles like the one by Matt Williams. But as soon as Ireland get knocked out everything returns to normal. Soccer, Gaelic Games and Rugby Union take over the attention of the media and the sporting public. There is nothing to keep people interested long term. There has been talk of an Irish team playing in the English system for over a decde. But after the demise of many expansion teams that looks as unlikely as ever.

The young children dream of playing in the English Premiership for Liverpool or Man Utd, playing  Provincial Rugby Union or playing for their county in Gaelic Games.  Even if a player excels in Rugby League the pull to other sports is so strong. Ian Dowling played League for Ireland before signing a professional contract with Munster Rugby Union.  Brian Carney also returned played Union for Munster. 

• Like 1

Please don't play BP's game and derail the thread. The heritage topic has been done to death, if you wish to discuss it please start a new thread on the subject, or revive one of the countless previous ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Where do you think that investment should come from ?

The only body of any influence in RL that has cash is the NRL , but the tragedy  is that our numero uno country doesn't really care about the international expansion of the game, unless it serves the NRL in some way. Dare I say it....we need a FIFA like body with total power. How could that be set up? We need a new thread for that methinks!

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Damien said:

Please don't play BP's game and derail the thread. The heritage topic has been done to death, if you wish to discuss it please start a new thread on the subject, or revive one of the countless previous ones.

Sorry dude. I wouldn’t want to derail this fine thread. I’ll stick to Handball and Carp Fishing in future. 

If Qatar put an offical bid in, what would be their objective? A one off event to give the country profile? Would it used to kickstart playing the game there? Does it matter either way as long as it provides some much needed funding to grow the game?

As a potential added benefit, would some wealthy Qatari citizens become aware of the game and realise for a relatively small outlay, they could get involved in buying into RL clubs? 

If Qatar did express a wish to go beyond the tournament and become involved with the game in various ways, it would surely add weight to their bid. 

• Like 5

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

7 hours ago, HawkMan said:

The only body of any influence in RL that has cash is the NRL , but the tragedy  is that our numero uno country doesn't really care about the international expansion of the game, unless it serves the NRL in some way. Dare I say it....we need a FIFA like body with total power. How could that be set up? We need a new thread for that methinks!

Where does FIFA make its money ? 

7 hours ago, RayCee said:

If Qatar put an offical bid in, what would be their objective? A one off event to give the country profile? Would it used to kickstart playing the game there? Does it matter either way as long as it provides some much needed funding to grow the game?

As a potential added benefit, would some wealthy Qatari citizens become aware of the game and realise for a relatively small outlay, they could get involved in buying into RL clubs? 

If Qatar did express a wish to go beyond the tournament and become involved with the game in various ways, it would surely add weight to their bid. 

Their objective would be to put on a world event and paint a positive image, essentially sportswashing. Ours would be to receive a large anount of money, in terms of Qatar paying a host fee and underwriting the cost of the World Cup. Of course there could potentially be longer term benefits for RL in terms of sponsorship, TV deals, clubs etc but I'd say these would be nice to haves. If the IRL were rewarded well financially for simply having the World Cup there then that would be sufficient.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interestingly, 5 or 6 years ago there were a few articles about gazillionaire Qatari Sheikh Faisal Bin Qassim Al Thani being interested in buying into the NRL by purchasing St George.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Copa said:

Interestingly, 5 or 6 years ago there were a few articles about gazillionaire Qatari Sheikh Faisal Bin Qassim Al Thani being interested in buying into the NRL by purchasing St George.

Yeah it was on the back of St George fan Michael Ibrahim and his links.

20 minutes ago, Copa said:

I would not be surprised if they started to look at this again more. If they are serious about some "soft diplomacy" with Australia and seeing what they have done with the football in Europe it would be a relatively cheap way for them to do similar. World cup followed by a club purchase would seem senisble

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Realistically the only way to grow the international game both financially and in terms of exposure is to break the tennis serve between UK and OZ/NZ to host the World Cup.

We are unlikely to get anywhere near as much funding as before up here and last time down under New South Wales couldn’t even be bothered to get involved. 

It unfortunately is ever decreasing circles as neither government is gonna stump up huge cash for a tournament they are guaranteed to host every 8 years. 

There are of course relatively few opportunities to break the cycle. Rugby League governing bodies wise France was the only real chance and I had hopes they could hold a relatively small but successful tournament, but that has bitten the dust. 

Any US bid would be driven by a promoter whose only goal is to make themselves money. This has massive risks and as seen by the due diligence test in Denver can quickly unravel. 

That only really leaves a national government bid by a ‘sports washing’ nation. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, corkonian77 said:

As somone that lives in such a country.

It is generally viewed like baseball is viewed in the North of England. 

Lots of people that watch sports know that Rugby League exists. Some people appreciate it and some do not. But like Baseball in the North of England it is alot harder to be emotionally involved with the Sport. 

The sport does get some coverage during the world cup and even kind articles like the one by Matt Williams. But as soon as Ireland get knocked out everything returns to normal. Soccer, Gaelic Games and Rugby Union take over the attention of the media and the sporting public. There is nothing to keep people interested long term. There has been talk of an Irish team playing in the English system for over a decde. But after the demise of many expansion teams that looks as unlikely as ever.

The young children dream of playing in the English Premiership for Liverpool or Man Utd, playing  Provincial Rugby Union or playing for their county in Gaelic Games.  Even if a player excels in Rugby League the pull to other sports is so strong. Ian Dowling played League for Ireland before signing a professional contract with Munster Rugby Union.  Brian Carney also returned played Union for Munster. 

Totally agree with your post its history and tradition if i was a young sportsman living in Ireland and my father grandfather etc played Gaelic Football or Hurling i would want to do the same.

Same down here in French Catalonia father played rugby league grandfather played great grandfather etc one can see by the names.

Nothing wrong with that.

Paul

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Totally agree with your post its history and tradition if i was a young sportsman living in Ireland and my father grandfather etc played Gaelic Football or Hurling i would want to do the same.

Same down here in French Catalonia father played rugby league grandfather played great grandfather etc one can see by the names.

Nothing wrong with that.

Paul

A few of years ago my missus wanted to do a genioligy trip to Southern Ireland we went over to the West Coast - Galway and Tuam - and in her investigations it meant visiting a couple of grave yards, the surnames on the gravestones was like a who's who of Australian RL Test Team members from over the years and quite a few British ones as well.

Edited by Harry Stottle

1 hour ago, pahars said:

Realistically the only way to grow the international game both financially and in terms of exposure is to break the tennis serve between UK and OZ/NZ to host the World Cup.

We are unlikely to get anywhere near as much funding as before up here and last time down under New South Wales couldn’t even be bothered to get involved. 

It unfortunately is ever decreasing circles as neither government is gonna stump up huge cash for a tournament they are guaranteed to host every 8 years. 

There are of course relatively few opportunities to break the cycle. Rugby League governing bodies wise France was the only real chance and I had hopes they could hold a relatively small but successful tournament, but that has bitten the dust. 

Any US bid would be driven by a promoter whose only goal is to make themselves money. This has massive risks and as seen by the due diligence test in Denver can quickly unravel. 

That only really leaves a national government bid by a ‘sports washing’ nation. 

So a Quatari sports washing giving us cash to guarantee a French WC 4 years later and including a PSG rebirth 

What's not to like ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HawkMan said:

The simple answer is it can’t. Much like international governors of basketball, ice hockey and baseball all play second fiddle to the American pro scene and the clubs, IRL will remain a second fiddle governor of our international game. Fortunately for the other three, they are all Olympic Sports which does mean the international governors do operate as influential organisations.

So the only way to really have a governor of influence is to hand the reigns over to the organisation which does hold all the power. That goes for the IRL, RFL, RLEF and all other national bodies to report to the NRL (rebranded as the world governor).

There will be many dead set against the idea, there will be a few all for it and then there will be some like me that are not yet sold either way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The simple answer is it can’t. Much like international governors of basketball, ice hockey and baseball all play second fiddle to the American pro scene and the clubs, IRL will remain a second fiddle governor of our international game. Fortunately for the other three, they are all Olympic Sports which does mean the international governors do operate as influential organisations.

So the only way to really have a governor of influence is to hand the reigns over to the organisation which does hold all the power. That goes for the IRL, RFL, RLEF and all other national bodies to report to the NRL (rebranded as the world governor).

There will be many dead set against the idea, there will be a few all for it and then there will be some like me that are not yet sold either way.

If we did this (not saying its good or bad), this would mean that SOO would become the Superbowl, world series etc of RL.  In that case where does that leave the Superleague which would become a feeder league essentially.

So you would have linkups between St George and saints? Brisbane and Wire? Paramatta and Leees, Melbourne and Wigan?

Bit like the dual reg atm between SL and champ, where the st george youth would come over to UK and develop their careers playing for Saints etc....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crashmon said:

If we did this (not saying its good or bad), this would mean that SOO would become the Superbowl, world series etc of RL.  In that case where does that leave the Superleague which would become a feeder league essentially.

So you would have linkups between St George and saints? Brisbane and Wire? Paramatta and Leees, Melbourne and Wigan?

Bit like the dual reg atm between SL and champ, where the st george youth would come over to UK and develop their careers playing for Saints etc....

Not at all. If the NRL became governors of the British game, then it will be in the interest of the NRL to have another competitive 12 SL clubs. Clubs which are competitive to the existing NRL clubs. An international standard, not just an Australian standard. The NSWRL didn’t add Brisbane Broncos, hoping that they would be also rans. 

• Thanks 1