Match thread: Championship Round 12 Summer Bash: York v Featherstone. Saturday 27th May 2023.

Morning campers from me and my tribe at a sunny summer bash in blackpool  My tribe has decided which two out of the 21 sits in the stand and which 2 commentates on Rovers TV

Stand Evans and Lockwood 

Commentators  1st half Hall 2nd half Kheirallah :kolobok_grin:

• Like 1

46 - 16 full time. 2 very soft tries for York..... 

Some great individual efforts but we look so clunky in attack. It's impossible to leave JD out he's a game winner. He proves it all the time. 

4 tries for gaga he's in blistering form. 

6/10 at best. Hopefully we click soon

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wolfey Rovers said:

46 - 16 full time. 2 very soft tries for York..... 

Some great individual efforts but we look so clunky in attack. It's impossible to leave JD out he's a game winner. He proves it all the time. 

4 tries for gaga he's in blistering form. 

Perhaps when we get some consistency in the spine positions we'll look better in attack. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

7 minutes ago, haskey said:

It is a good job the match was not close as goal kicks could come back and bite us on the bum

I thought Hankinson could kick ? Shame we can't bring Craig Hall on like they do in American football or whatever it is lol.

2 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

I've listened to so much sh*te from Kyle Amor for the last 3 days I will have to have the sound down tomorrow for sure.

He hates Fev with a passion and wants us to fail at every mention of our names. Funny he didn't play against us haha. Knew he wouldn't hack it

Thought we played well for 65 mins of that game & a poor 15 mins of the game

Yorks 1st & last tries were terrible to concede from a defensive POV, the scrum kick try was inventive, suprised it isnt utilised more by teams 

Too many ###### offloads, too much forcing it at times, unsure why we feel the need to try and score off every set 

Still a 46-16 win with points left in row z following the missed kicks & still undefeated

Good to see Ford & Hankinson back 

Bring on Barrow

Edited by elppaxr2i

1 hour ago, Wolfey Rovers said:

Interesting how views differ, for me we were a solid 8/10 tonight.

Since that flurry of games earlier in the year when we kept our opponents in the game by making unforced errors and trying to score on every play, the emphasis has been on winning the arm wrestle and wearing opponents down gradually and I thought that worked very well tonight.

That said, all 3 of their tries came when we lost the ball inside our 40, and it was disappointing we couldn't hold them out as other than that our completion rate was good and we conceded very few penalties. But I suppose that emphasises why we have to win the field position battle.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Interesting how views differ, for me we were a solid 8/10 tonight.

Since that flurry of games earlier in the year when we kept our opponents in the game by making unforced errors and trying to score on every play, the emphasis has been on winning the arm wrestle and wearing opponents down gradually and I thought that worked very well tonight.

That said, all 3 of their tries came when we lost the ball inside our 40, and it was disappointing we couldn't hold them out as other than that our completion rate was good and we conceded very few penalties. But I suppose that emphasises why we have to win the field position battle.

Yep agree with that.  We were a bit below par for maybe for 20 mins or so but looked good for long periods.  Ford was a different class at times and proved me wrong - especially given that he topped off his display with a few excellent one on one tackles.  After losing Dean again this week there is an argument for sending him back to Warrington for good - we just can't pin our hopes on Warrington not getting injuries imo (but thats another debate).

Theres been a lot of talk about forcing it too much this year but for me we just about got it right today.  Play to our strengths and nobody can live with us.  Who cares about analysing the 16 points conceded.  

Big down-side for me was the decision to go with no goalkicker (clearly we knew Hankinson was not ready yet).  KIck every goal and we win 54-10 away from home.  Surely nobody can complain with that.......

• Like 2

PHM Ford was good tonight not tremendous our best back along with Gale who is back to his best after for him a poor season last year.six and a half out of ten for me.Although Yorks performance was 300% better than at our place.Positives as mentioned in earlier posts John Davies Mr consistent as i have said before it's not by accident he always seems to be in the right place.Smith had a good game worked very hard in the middle first half and a bit wider later on.And Jones played well 2nd half gives us pace which Wildie who i thought  was average in the first half can't.How many chances does Briscoe get always a mistake in him and lacks real speed like the kid on the wing for York showed .Briscoe should have had a yellow for that elbow and could have received a red.Why did we go left short side six times late in the tackle count in the first half when 80% of the field was open.At least we learned and didn't do it in the second half.Hankinson playing himself back in,poor attempt tackle for Yorks first try .But he did a Joey flick for one of Gales and a pass in another try.Yorks last try a chip over the top.Why was there no full back at home.FB. should have been 20 yards behind defensive line and follow the ball across the line .Basic rugby league.Lacans made a try with  the short kick and scored one but did little to join up the attack.We need a good scrum half  as much as oxygen to breath.Yei for a big man showed great awareness and agility to score his try not many props including in SL would have scored that.I am waiting for Longy's attacking magic to come into play.No get out of jail moves.Run arounds ,Back passes or the old overhead chip to the corner which Tommy Saxton scored so many tries from.We will have to improve towards the back end to achieve our goal.Comments welcome.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Yep agree with that.  We were a bit below par for maybe for 20 mins or so but looked good for long periods.  Ford was a different class at times and proved me wrong - especially given that he topped off his display with a few excellent one on one tackles.  After losing Dean again this week there is an argument for sending him back to Warrington for good - we just can't pin our hopes on Warrington not getting injuries imo (but thats another debate).

Theres been a lot of talk about forcing it too much this year but for me we just about got it right today.  Play to our strengths and nobody can live with us.  Who cares about analysing the 16 points conceded.  

Big down-side for me was the decision to go with no goalkicker (clearly we knew Hankinson was not ready yet).  KIck every goal and we win 54-10 away from home.  Surely nobody can complain with that.......

Think what Fev fans don't see Rob is that we are not Leigh and we don't play in that sort of style that looks flashy. We play to our strengths by wearing teams down before we put anything risky into our attacking play. It might look boring for a good part of the match but it's the result that matters. You make a valid point too about the goal kicking. We would have won more easily with any of our recognised kickers. York have struggled with injuries of late as we have but we have a better strength in depth than them and I think that they gave a good account of themselves under the circumstances but there was obviously a difference in class. Last season we were on the receiving end of a similar scoreline at the bash because Leigh were a class above. Some players are showing great signs of improvement in ability of late like Gale and Lacans to mention just two. And Davies is just Davies he is outstanding.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Think what Fev fans don't see Rob is that we are not Leigh and we don't play in that sort of style that looks flashy. We play to our strengths by wearing teams down before we put anything risky into our attacking play. It might look boring for a good part of the match but it's the result that matters. You make a valid point too about the goal kicking. We would have won more easily with any of our recognised kickers. York have struggled with injuries of late as we have but we have a better strength in depth than them and I think that they gave a good account of themselves under the circumstances but there was obviously a difference in class. Last season we were on the receiving end of a similar scoreline at the bash because Leigh were a class above. Some players are showing great signs of improvement in ability of late like Gale and Lacans to mention just two. And Davies is just Davies he is outstanding.

Kind of agree Phil but last year once Leigh got into gear they mainly steamrollered teams downs down the middle - until the latter half of the season when they signed the likes of Reynolds and Lam and seemed unbeatable.  Hopefully thats what we are aiming for.. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Hankinson playing himself back in,poor attempt tackle for Yorks first try .But he did a Joey flick for one of Gales 

To compare that pass to anything that Joey has done in a Rovers shirt is an insult to Hanks.  Best pass I've seen in a long time - at any level...... 

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

I've listened to so much sh*te from Kyle Amor for the last 3 days I will have to have the sound down tomorrow for sure.

Thought it might have been just me but defo Amor is enough to put anyone off listening to rugby league for life his comments are mostly laughable it’s time for via play to get rid of him and give us all a break.

Edited by eltel
spelling
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

To compare that pass to anything that Joey has done in a Rovers shirt is an insult to Hanks.  Best pass I've seen in a long time - at any level...... 

No worry with Hankinson he is a class centre .Another two or three games is what he needs.

• Like 1

I thought that was our best performance so far this season. Thought having Smith in the middle gave us extra width and that Fordy and Lacans played well off each other. Mentions also for Gadwin, Koppy and Yei who caused problems for York down the middle. JD and Jonesy made a real difference off the bench and gaz Gale was back to his best.

All in all a very enjoyable evening; great result, great atmosphere and great to drive home from the summer bash with that winning feeling (unlike many previous years!)

• Like 4

I thought that Ford was magnificent yesterday, probably the best half back in the Championship on that kind of form. 

Thinking back, whilst at the time I was disappointed with the first half, that’s what wore York down and allowed the better second half.

Kind of agree about Dean, maybe we are better getting settled half’s playing for the rest of the season, rather than potentially being distrusted by him being recalled by Wire, although that’s only likely if one of the regulars gets injured.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fevrover said:

I thought Hankinson could kick ? Shame we can't bring Craig Hall on like they do in American football or whatever it is lol.

Apparently Hankinson got his injury goalkicking, so perhaps he isn't ready to start taking them again yet.

• Thanks 1

Decent game to watch , Fev are now a very well drilled and hardworking side , credit to long and Pryce , still feel if you win the league you should go up , best of luck for the rest of the season , if you avoid injuries, this may just be your year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I thought that Ford was magnificent yesterday, probably the best half back in the Championship on that kind of form. 

Thinking back, whilst at the time I was disappointed with the first half, that’s what wore York down and allowed the better second half.

Kind of agree about Dean, maybe we are better getting settled half’s playing for the rest of the season, rather than potentially being distrusted by him being recalled by Wire, although that’s only likely if one of the regulars gets injured.

What happens if he comes back but then can't play in play offs ?