Return of the Oceania Cup & Shield

A lot of reference to an announcement coming soon.

Cup: Australia, NZ, Samoa

Shield: Cook Islands, Fiji, PNG

Interesting bit however https://www.cookislandsnews.com/uncategorised/internal/sport/rugby-union/cirl-backs-qatars-world-cup-bid/

“For us here in the Cook Islands, we need a major renovation to our stadium to an international standard to attract international games.”

An international Pacific Tri Series is been proposed between Cook Islands, Fiji and Papua New Guinea to be hosted by PNG in 2023, Fiji in 2024 and in the Cook Islands in 2026, Carlson revealed.

“I guess that will give us time to upgrade the stadium properly and attract more international games after.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting read, but still waiting on something official to be annouced....

I'd like to believe from all the different sources/ rumours we will see some international RL though but the longer it goes on without an official announcement the more sceptical i get 

• Like 1

I don't get this sorry. Cook Islands population on Google is currently less than 18000 so what use would an international stadium be when they would be doing really well to get 1000 in.  For me the most important targets in the southern hemisphere are improving infrastructure and interest in PNG which has a half decent population, NZ which still has decent potential for improvement in interest levels and then Fiji, Samoa and Tonga who actually have much smaller populations but at least something to work with. I can't see how the Cook Islands should be any kind of focus I'm afraid with a population smaller than a smallish town. Edit - and of course reach new areas in Oz and try plant seeds in other Southern hemisphere countries

Edited by Hello

21 minutes ago, Hello said:

I don't get this sorry. Cook Islands population on Google is currently less than 18000 so what use would an international stadium be when they would be doing really well to get 1000 in.  For me the most important targets in the southern hemisphere are improving infrastructure and interest in PNG which has a half decent population, NZ which still has decent potential for improvement in interest levels and then Fiji, Samoa and Tonga who actually have much smaller populations but at least something to work with. I can't see how the Cook Islands should be any kind of focus I'm afraid with a population smaller than a smallish town. Edit - and of course reach new areas in Oz and try plant seeds in other Southern hemisphere countries

Lots of reach in NZ though.

Agreed on the stadium, however the national stadium is pretty tiny, and the Avatiu Eels ground I played at makes Ealing look like Wembley.

3 hours ago, Hello said:

Having been to the Cook Islands for the youth commonwealth netball world something or other (my sister played)… trust me when I say, if you put an event on, they flock to it. 

22 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Having been to the Cook Islands for the youth commonwealth netball world something or other (my sister played)… trust me when I say, if you put an event on, they flock to it. 

Hey mate, thanks for the reply. The thing is though, if there are literally less than 20 thousand people altogether in the Cook Islands, then even if they are much more enthusiastic than your average person globally about attending events, they can still only have a tiny attendance at best.  It's total population spread over different islands is not even half the population of a county in the UK for example 

Great, that the NRL is indeed having logical plans for the four weeks after the grand final.

Two 3N with a final and one touring team for three of the four years of a WCcycle

Add a WCNines as Triy Grant is always referencing 

also three other Cups in the other Continents and everything could work out