France Grand Final

Decent match. The only real downside is Morgan Escaré's appalling hairdo.

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I missed the early minutes, but just caught the second Limoux try, made by an offload that even Matt Gidley would nod approvingly at. Lovely stuff!

Like you, Futtocks, I didn't see the whole game, but in my case, due to domestic commitments, it was the first 30 and last 20 minutes that I saw.

As you say you missed the early minutes, I can tell you that the first ten were one-way traffic, as Carcassonne pressed and threatened continually.  I first thought that the match would be a foregone conclusion, with, in due course, a big win for the Canaris.  But a little bit of me thought, no, hang on, all that pressure and it's still 0-0.

Then, slowly but surely, Limoux began to stamp their mark on the game and were ahead by the half-hour mark when other demands on my time beckoned.

That said, when I picked up with twenty minutes to go, I was surprised by the size of the Limoux lead.  Arguably, Carcassonne, late on, did well to score 18 points so quickly; just a shame for them (and the neutral) it was way too late and Limoux, by the half-hearted approach to defence at that stage, knew that.

I agree about the terrible Escare hair-do, by the way!

I would pour myself a large glass of Blanquette de Limoux, but Tesco's seem to have stopped selling it.  Does anybody know any shops in this country that still do?

I think watching a game like that on French TV ought to be obligatory training for RL commentators in this country.  Pronunciation of a name like 'Templeman' today wasn't perfect, but at least they were very close, with any discrepency from the correct pronunciation largely down to accent.  By contrast, why do the names of players like Paul Seguier cause commentators on Sky et al so many problems?  Isn't it common sense and common courtesy to do your homework and find out how such names are pronounced?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I would pour myself a large glass of Blanquette de Limoux, but Tesco's seem to have stopped selling it.  Does anybody know any shops in this country that still do?

Even if you know a chain that sells it, your local branch may not stock it. My local Sainsbury's usually has a Crémant, as does M&S. Due to the lack of "Champagne" name status, it isn't as widely available as it should be.

Ah well, there's always mail order.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

56 minutes ago, eal said:

Is the match likely to be put up on YouTube? I wasn't able to watch it live.

The French Federation often put their finals on their youtube channel in the week or so after the match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Unfortunately I'm hearing that Villeneuve Leopards don't have funding for next season and will have to drop down to Elite 2.

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Unfortunately I'm hearing that Villeneuve Leopards don't have funding for next season and will have to drop down to Elite 2.

That would be a disaster needs sorting out PDQ.